Low carb

Options
what do you consider a low carb diet? How many carbs do you intake and how do you adjust the other items such as protein, etc?

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Sorry, love carbs!
  • jessicaferrell
    jessicaferrell Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    If you go to your settings you can set "custom goals" and change the percentages. I follow a low carb diet for health reasons, and have mine set to 25% Carb 40% protein and 30% fat.
  • killakyle420
    Options
    Make sure you get enough protein- 1 g per lb of lean body mass, under 100g carbs or as low as you feel necessary and get the rest of your calories from fats. That's how I would approach it!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    If you go to your settings you can set "custom goals" and change the percentages. I follow a low carb diet for health reasons, and have mine set to 25% Carb 40% protein and 30% fat.

Where is the other 5%?
  • melanie_a_h
    melanie_a_h Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Any good ideas for meatless proteins with low carb? I like meat but I just don't like a lot of it. A previous low carb diet I was on was tons of meat and I couldn't stand it. I try to get protein in with beans but they have higher carbs. Ideas? Thanks!
  • killakyle420
    Options
    Any good ideas for meatless proteins with low carb? I like meat but I just don't like a lot of it. A previous low carb diet I was on was tons of meat and I couldn't stand it. I try to get protein in with beans but they have higher carbs. Ideas? Thanks!

Don't be scared to get a few carbs! Nuts, beans, some meats, fish, cottage cheese, eggs, and protein powder are some good options, there are many more too just pick things you like!
  • melanie_a_h
    Options
    Thanks! I'm not scared per say. I try to make them good carbs but it's just hard when I can't stand a lot of lean meats.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I'm not scared per say. I try to make them good carbs but it's just hard when I can't stand a lot of lean meats.

Why are you going low carb?
    Is there a medical reason?
  • killakyle420
    Options

They don't have to all be lean meats, when your going low carb you will usually have more calories going towards your fats.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options

If you're going low carb, you need to make up the missing calories with fat. Do LC or LF, but don't do both. That means you can stop worrying about lean meats, or eggs, or butter, or cheese.
  • melanie_a_h
    Options
    No medical reasons. Just curious what different people considered to be low carb and options for low carb high protein foods :)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I'd call under 100g low carb
  • TheSurge0n
    TheSurge0n Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Keeping constant doesn't work for everyone so changing portion is better idea.
    Low carb mean higher protein intake.
    100g/day is definitely low carb if you are >53 kg body weight.
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    TheSurge0n wrote: »
    Keeping constant doesn't work for everyone so changing portion is better idea.
    Low carb mean higher protein intake.
    100g/day is definitely low carb if you are >53 kg body weight.

I agree with the 100 g/day or lower for low carb, but most people on low carb eat protein the same as anyone else and eat more fat.
  • melanie_a_h
    Options
    I do stay under 100g. I am currently 177 lbs
  • monikker
    monikker Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Yeah it seems to be 100 g or lower.

That's exactly what I'm doing and while I eat more meat, I also eat fats...my typical diet includes Greek yogurt, turkey, chicken, beef, soy milk, cottage cheese, nuts, protein shakes and bars, very dark chocolate (85%), sugar free/artificially sweetened stuff, bacon, eggs, tuna salad, fish oil supplement...can't think of more right now
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    No medical reasons. Just curious what different people considered to be low carb and options for low carb high protein foods :)

If there is no medical reason, why go low carb? It is not required for weightloss at all. Why not incorporate some carbs if you are not a fan of meat?
  • Wicibeth
    Wicibeth Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I eat 20g carbs per day. Because my stomach hates carbs.