Water Aerobics/Water Belts

Options
Does anyone see significant results participating in water aerobics or using a water belt? :) I know they're great for you. I'm going to try them hopefully next week. It'll be easier for me because I suffer through chronic pain because of my back. But I'd love to hear other people have had weight loss results because of these activities. Let me know!

:smiley:

Replies

• cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Hm. I don't know if this is quite what you're looking for. I do pool running, fast-slow intervals, sometimes with and sometimes without a flotation belt. It has *definitely* helped my land running speed and cardio endurance! I can't really say if it's increased weight loss, though. For me that's really a question of keeping my diet in check.

There are a couple users here who have had *great* results from water aerobics, though! Hopefully one of them will be around to be all enthusiastic about it for ya!
  • alexandrarae90
    alexandrarae90 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I started taking a water aerobics class one year ago. For a number of months it was the only activity I was able to to and I lost continuously while doing it. I also strengthened my back to the point where I was able to start walking without pain.

Some days I had to switch up my schedule, and last fall I had a foot problem where I was supposed to only do no impact exercise for 2 weeks, so I have took a deep water class instead where you do many of the same movements, but you are wearing a flotation belt so you don't touch the bottom of the pool. I really loved those workouts too.

i love my water aerobics and continue to take it. I also am able to swim laps before class starts and walk for additional cardio. If you have the opportunity, I really would recommend it.
  • BobbiJoMoskoff
    Options
    I have a foot injury right now so the only exercise I really get is swimming but it burns calories SO quickly! Plus I lifeguard water fitness classes regularly. Everyone who does them loves them and usually see great results. Plus, if you tell an instructor about your back issue they can usually tell you some substitutions for exercises that may hurt your back!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I have a foot injury right now so the only exercise I really get is swimming but it burns calories SO quickly! Plus I lifeguard water fitness classes regularly. Everyone who does them loves them and usually see great results. Plus, if you tell an instructor about your back issue they can usually tell you some substitutions for exercises that may hurt your back!

the class I go to is called "back camp" and the exercises are geared towards strengthening the back without being hard on it. The instructor is really good about giving alternate movements for those who have hip or shoulder issues or bad knees. Other classes are aimed for those with arthritis or fibromyalgia and those instructors also have alternate movements for any who need them.