Hoopers: How Did You Learn?

I've searched youtube and found "How to Hoop" videos geared to the beginner, but so far even those get right into the fancy moves with the hands, hips, etc. I really just want to learn how to keep the thing on my waist!

So please tell me, hoopers: How did you learn?

(Full disclosure: I do not have a hoop yet. I didn't want to end up with a thing I'd never be able to learn to use. I know some of you may advise "just go get a hoop!" and that's valid, but I'm really looking for your experiences with learning. Videos? Youtube? friend? class?)

Replies

• afacetocallhome
    afacetocallhome Posts: 91 Member
    Hi!

I have just started hooping, and I found this video particularly helpful: http://youtu.be/0visc3p6uAA

Ultimately, I think it comes with practice. I did 15 minutes tonight. When I started, the hoop was falling down after 2/3 rotations and I was getting pretty frustrated. But, I kept trying, and towards the end, I could keep it up for a bit longer. I still need to practice more to be able to keep it on my waist consistently, but that will come over time.

I would definitely advise getting yourself a hoop and giving it a go. It's a lot easier to learn techniques when you can put them into practice!

As I said, I'm only a beginner myself but I hope this helps.

Good luck!
  • SyzygyX
    SyzygyX Posts: 189 Member
    PRACTICE. I've been hooping for about three years now, and I'm decidedly only intermediate (no leg tricks yet!), but honestly, just like with any other skill--just practice. Good music helps.

Get a hoop that is the right size and weight for your height; the heavier it is, the more gravity will work in your favor to keep it around your waist, but might make tricks harder.

Oh, and keep your nails short if you can. I swear, I break one a week while hooping.
  • SyzygyX
    SyzygyX Posts: 189 Member
    Mostly I used youtube videos for basics, but when you're hooping on your own, it's best to think of the hoop as an extension of yourself and just dance with it. Rhythmic gymnastics can give some ideas of movement as well as other hooping videos. Find the things you're comfortable with and practice them until they feel easy and beautiful, and design some routines around that. Add moves accordingly. :smiley:
  • Triplestep
    Triplestep Posts: 239 Member
    Thanks! This is really helpful info. Where did you guys buy your hoops?
  • afacetocallhome
    afacetocallhome Posts: 91 Member
    I actually can't remember where I bought mine because I've had it a while but never really committed to doing it (useless, I know) but I know that it was fairly cheap! You can usually find them in most fitness sections in shops as far as I'm aware, though. :smiley:
  • shawnaes91
    shawnaes91 Posts: 60 Member
    There are a lot of etsy stores you can buy them from, I've been hooping for about a week. I bought a hoopnotica dvd. If Ineed help I look on youtube.