Do carbs make you hungrier?

Options
carolinebond0206
carolinebond0206 Posts: 9 Member
edited March 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I try to eat at the very most 115 g carbs a day and my calorie goal is 1400 a day. Today I went to a luncheon and ate 128 g of carbs at that one meal. I have been doing low carb for a month and had no problem keeping myself near and below 1400 calories. Today, after that meal, it seemed like a hunger switch was turned on. I have been hungry, thinking about food, and eating all day. I have eaten 3,200 calories TODAY and STILL feel hungry. That's more than double the amount I've eaten each day in the last month. Do you think the carb-loading could have caused it?

Replies

• azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    yes
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Truthfully it depends on the time of day~
  • carolinebond0206
    Options
    what do you mean?
  • orlandodenise
    orlandodenise Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Yep - with me it does big time ! I try and keep under 40 grams if I can per day and try for less
  • carolinebond0206
    Options
    I eat an average of 70 per day
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    what do you mean?
    If you are asking me this question, for me if i eat a lot of easily-digesting carbs (like things made out of white flour, things like cookies, to name a few) in the middle of the day or early afternoon, i crave them for the rest of the day and I also want to take a nap. Carbs in vegetables or fruit don't seem to have that effect on me. I have no idea why the difference. I avoid bread, pasta and cookies in the middle of the day for this reason.
  • carolinebond0206
    Options
    today I ate 350!!
  • JimFsfitnesspal
    JimFsfitnesspal Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    It has happened to me several times.

I try to keep my carbs around 100g and my hard limit is less than 130. If you keep carbs less than 130 (consistently) then you gain the benefits of mild keto.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Carbs satisfy me. I got nothing to help, OP.
    tumblr_mzwkifYkUB1qk08n1o1_500.gif
  • JimFsfitnesspal
    JimFsfitnesspal Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    today I ate 350!!

We all have bad days. We just have to reset and carry on.
  • Geekymonkey99
    Geekymonkey99 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Personally, they make me feel full for a good part of the day. Plus they seem to fuel my workouts.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Yes! If I eat a carb heavy meal I'm usually hungry an hour later and can not turn of that eat eat eat switch! Then I obviously go way over my calories.
    It happens every time I have a big bowl of sultana bran which I absolutely love, but it's so not worth it :disappointed:
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I balance my carbs with fat and protein. I think that's the secret for not having a crash with them. I find them very sating. If I had a meal that was all protein and carbs and didn't have some fat, I wouldn't be satisfied with that either.

It's all about balance for me.
  • aromine20
    aromine20 Posts: 12
    Options
    They can make you hungrier! You will have a spike in blood sugar, spiking insulin levels. Your blood sugar will suddenly drop off, leaving your insulin levels high which makes your body feel hungry so that you can get those blood sugar levels back up.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Only when I have PMS. Is it the case for you, by any chance?
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    It really depends, for me. If I have nothing but carbs in the morning, like cereal, I get hungry again really fast or crash a couple of hours after. But then other times of the day they don't do that.

Still, though, it doesn't stop me from sometimes enjoying a lovely bowl of Captain Crunch in the morning.
  • FaylinaMeir
    FaylinaMeir Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    carbs don't make you hungrier they just don't make you feel satisfied either. I spent a lot of time as a high carb vegan and you never really feel satiated, just grossly full. Some people might disagree with me but that's my experience.
    Protein and fat make you feel more full.
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Did you have a lot of fat with your carbs?

Feeding laboratory rats with either high-fat and high-sugar diets did little to change their daily habits or health but supply them with chocolate, biscuits and cheesecake (a near 50-50 fat and sugar split) and behaviour changed radically.

They ignored other foods for the cheesecake, going back to it regularly rather than gorging, and put on weight. Their self-regulation system, that naturally stopped them eating too much fat or sugar, effectively switched off.

“It became their main source of calories,” Kenny tells Horizon. “They gained massive amounts of weight, became sedentary, slept a lot and did not move around.”

He found that the allure of processed food was overriding the body’s natural hormones that regulate intake by alerting the brain that the body has enough calories. It is the same faculty that is impaired in drug addicts whose On-Off mechanisms are degraded by the release of pleasure hormones in the brain’s hedonic system, he says.

That text is info from a televised experiment where twin doctors ate either low carb (low sugar) or low fat.

Quite an interesting programme that put me off seriously limiting carbs as the low carber did lose more weight but nearly half of it was muscle even though he was stimulating his muscles with the same exercises his brother was doing.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Carbs are staples for me. I thought the most important thing was the supposed blood sugar spike after eating carbs, but for me, really, any types or combinations of food could be satisfying. I just had to find them. But then again, I eat a ton of food...
  • monikker
    monikker Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    aromine20 wrote: »
    They can make you hungrier! You will have a spike in blood sugar, spiking insulin levels. Your blood sugar will suddenly drop off, leaving your insulin levels high which makes your body feel hungry so that you can get those blood sugar levels back up.

I've noticed myself being hungry and craving more carbs on days I've had donuts or sweets or generally consuming multiple carb-heavy foods since going to a <100 g carbs per day diet. I don't know what all it has to do with insulin/blood sugar as quoted above but I'm suspicious that it does. I seem to not crave the carbs, especially simple sugars, when I eat less of them.