Constipation since eating healthier

Options
This topic may be too personal for some (or gross to others), but I can't be the only one out there that's experiencing this. I have been eating less fatty foods and high fiber foods since beginning my healthier lifestyle. I drink plenty of water (at least 8 glasses), plus other fluids (coffee or tea) every day. I also snack on Greek yogurt (because I know active cultures are my friend).

I know the issue isn't getting enough fiber, it's getting too much (if anything). I've never had an issue like this is the past. I spoke w/my doctor about it and she suggested adding fish oil to my diet. Not too crazy about that idea, so I've tried adding a little extra virgin olive oil in my cooking, but that hasn't made much of a difference. Has anyone been able to conquer this problem? Thanks!

Replies

• blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    I would add in a t. of melted virgin coconut oil per day for a week, see if that helps. And drink water to balance out your fibre intake.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Magnesium Oxide will help, easy though if you take too much .. will make everything too fast!

Also you aren't getting enough fiber, if you were.. you wouldn't have this issue.
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Your fat may be too low. Try introducing some good fats
  • Jenskiski
    Jenskiski Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    This happens to me every time I restrict my calories. My problem isn't fiber either..I eat plenty, and plenty of fruits and vegetables. I think it's that my body doesn't have as much to work with as it's used to so things kind of stop. I'm not someone who goes daily, ever, though. Normal for me is every other day and has been for the last 30 years.

When I go more than a few days without going, I take Miralax for a few days. Miralax doesn't work instantly but it works gently and gets things going again.
  • NikkiNerdy
    NikkiNerdy Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling! Happens to me too. I found it really odd. Not eating enough fat may be a factor. One of the ways I helped myself was I started to eat a few dates a day (help things get moving). Don't eat too many though...could go the other way and I think that would be worse!
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Magnesium Oxide will help, easy though if you take too much .. will make everything too fast!

Also you aren't getting enough fiber, if you were.. you wouldn't have this issue.

Not true, too much fibre is constipating if you're not getting enough fats and water to flush it through.

From a study:
    The role of dietary fiber in constipation is analogous to cars in traffic congestion. The only way to alleviate slow traffic would be to decrease the number of cars and to evacuate the remaining cars quickly. Should we add more cars, the congestion would only be worsened. Similarly, in patients with idiopathic constipation [constipation of no known cause] and a colon packed with feces, reduction in dietary fiber would reduce fecal bulk and volume and make evacuation of the smaller and thinner feces easier. Adding dietary fiber would only add to the bulk and volume and thus make evacuation even more difficult.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Up your fats.
  • jcook0716
    jcook0716 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Add some chia seeds to your yogurt... that might help. I added some to my oatmeal and it really helped because i have the same issue.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Been backed up lately. Eating too much fiber and not enough water to compensate. My fiber has been lower and I've been pooping normal again. Nothing wrong with dietary fat.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

I agree about adding magnesium. I disagree with the rest.

Fiber has many forms, and doesn't affect us all the same.

I know when I was seeing a GI doc he had me log my food/fiber, and focus on it. I'd be getting TONS (sometimes 50-60 grams a day or more).
    Only when I removed the majority of the fiber from GRAINS did my problem resolve.

Now, I get 30+ grams a day, mostly from vegetables and plants. Very little from grains.

And I take magnesium complex (citrate/oxide) daily.

And yes, OP, make sure you're getting enough fat. Fat is GOOD.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Dietary fat is an essential macro nutrient...you do need some (actually a pretty fair amount) dietary fat. People cut out way too much fat not realizing how very important it is to proper nutrition. It is essential to hormone regulation as well as nervous system function, heart health, and yes...what you're experiencing only to name a few.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Magnesium oxide and more fat.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Magnesium oxide and more fat.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    Metamucil!

But I'm kind of old-fashioned.
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I take a tumeric capsule every morning and it keeps me regular along side eating well. It's good for the joints too
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I'm having this problem now too, for the first time maybe EVER. So it's very annoying. My fiber is super high, and I haven't been hitting my fat goal this past week. I can't wait to get this fixed ha.
  • runnrchic
    runnrchic Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Hmm, since I changed my eating habits I've been going more and at a predictable hour. (No more poops at work!) Friend me to see what I eat. I really can't tell you what it is exactly, but the main change has been prepping all my own food.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    I noticed this change several weeks after I started taking calcium. I quit that and magnesium was the solution for me. I average 30g fiber daily, which I though was on the high side until seeing Sabine's comment.
  • frank_h2292
    frank_h2292 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The same thing has been happening to me for a long while. I usually have to take a laxative if I cant go. I'm worried because I can't go on my own and I relied on the laxatives for a while.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Magnesium citrate helps. Plus make sure you're getting enough water.