Should I always weigh 1/week? Do you ever go to 1/month? Continue to log you daily food?

Options
Since starting my weight loss/fitness goal last September, I've weighed in once a week. I hit my goal a month ago and have been trying to figure out maintenance since. So far, so good, I'm only .2 from when maintenance began. I will continue to weigh once/week at least for few months, I think, but I've been wondering, does anyone only weigh in once a month?

I'm trying to also change my thought processes about weight, weight loss, exercise, food, etc. I don't want to continue to be obsessive (which I've been very focused for the past 6 months, which has allowed me to lose 48 pounds in 5 months and maintained the past 3 weeks).

I think I'll continue to log my food - but that creates an additional question, how long do you continue to log your food after hitting maintenance?

Any insight/advice is welcomed! Thanks!!

Replies

• socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Hi:

Every individual finds his/her own way, that suits available time and energy. I am trying to say that there is not one single rule.
    I weigh myself once a week, while on Maintenance. Always the same day of the week and at the same time for comparison purposes. Others may prefer to do it daily or monthly. If it works for them, that is all that matters.
    Logging my food is very helpful to ensure I am meeting my macros, even though I am no longer eating at a deficit to lose body weight.
    Good luck in your healthy journey
  • wonko221
    wonko221 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    it seems to me that the reason my weight got away from me was that i had bad eating habits, and i wasn't mindful about nutrition, calorie intake, or exercise.

Logging your intake forces you to be very mindful of everything you eat, and helps develop that awareness; BEFORE you put something in your mouth, you are already considering how it will impact your daily goals and, ultimately, your fitness.

I don't expect i will continue to weight weekly or log regularly once i am at a healthy weight and am confident that i have developed healthy eating habits.

The devil with habits, though, is that they become routine, and you lose mindfulness. I do think that once i stop regular logging and weekly weigh-in, it will be important to monitor my fitness. monthly weigh-ins should be sufficient. And if i ever find myself more than a few pounds above or below my healthy weight, it will be time to start paying closer attention to my eating, my fitness, and my general health to figure out what's going on and reinforce/recommit as needed.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Mindfulness, that's what I aim for but so far I still feel the need to log my food, 3 years of that habit and part of my routine now. It only takes a few mins of my time after all :smile:

Weigh ins for me are weekly, sometimes more if I'm seeing too high a fluctuation. ...for me I need to keep regularly weighing in as that's how I gained in the first place! I had happily not weighed myself for several years and that led me to a 20lb gain!
  • Shouliveshappy
    Shouliveshappy Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Maybe you can continue to log for another 1-2 months..then take a break... See if weght changes. ..I mean in the first place,why we are here it's because we were never mindful of what we ate before weight loss. But through this weight loss journey I'm sure all of us learnt how to eat and live better
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I only log calories from the food that I eat. I also only weigh myself once a week except for that TOM. I don't weigh myself at all that week.
  • lokepa
    lokepa Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Like those above, logging keeps me honest... stopped logging for a while when I felt I was on a good roll and found myself falling completely off the wagon. I don't weigh myself more than once every three weeks or so. I found myself getting really frustrated when I didn't see any movement on the 1/week weigh ins. Every three weeks allows me to see if I am really making some headway.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I "spot" weigh myself once or twice a week (or not, whenever I feel like it), just out of curiousity. But I only log my "official" weigh in approx. once a month. My lowest weight of the month is typically 3 days after my period starts, so that's my weigh in day. It keeps my weigh in under similar circumstances, and is enough to track a trend now that I'm in maintenance. Everything else is just "noise" (water bloat, food in my belly, poop, etc.) at this point.

As far as food logging, I still do this every day and as accurate as I can. I am still slowly upping my calories (3 months into maintenance) to find the absolute most I can eat (I'm going to eat until I sustain a gain over 2 months, then back it down 100 calories/day).

But, I may still be a daily food logger for the long haul, as I really do like it. It keeps me mindful of eating all my veggies and getting the best nourishment into my body. Oh, and it shows me I can fit a little "treat" into every day, if I want it--that's my favorite part ;)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh every week... I only weigh the week after my period, so I can compare from month to month (the other 2-3 weeks, I retain a random amount of water so it's not as accurate).

The reason I weigh is so I can make sure that my maintenance level hasn't changed. So if I gain a bit, I know that I need to eat less or move more... but I pretty much have to keep logging to be able to know that. It doesn't take much time so I do it anyway.
  • vvrangel
    vvrangel Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been on maintenance for the last four years. The only way I can maintain my weight is by logging in every day and weighing myself once a week which is usually on a Wednesday this has really helped me out. Vee
  • OriginalKatie
    OriginalKatie Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    My personal trainers have always weighed and measured me monthly as it gives me time to make real progress. But I usually weigh myself every week anyway.
  • TerryKes
    TerryKes Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, this has been so helpful! Reading each one, down the line, felt like we were in a real room, sharing their experience and perspective. I feel better, that it doesn't and shouldn't feel obsessive to continue to food log and weigh once a week/month - either one. It's proactive and health-minded. That's what I want for myself! Again, thank you!
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    I plan on logging my food daily ...I definitely will weigh in weekly.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    There are no universal rules, just what's right for each of us. I lost weight and gained much of it back when I quit logging. I am now a permanent food tracker since November 2011. I am also one of those people who weighs himself every morning. It's right for me but I don't think it's right for most people. There are technical advantages (it very accurately averages out the daily fluctuations) but for many people, psychological disadvantages. Congratulations on hitting maintenance and good luck!
  • JoJoTheModern
    JoJoTheModern Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I tend to weigh myself two or three times a week, because I want to keep an eye on the results of my calorie intake and activity levels. In addition, I plan on logging my intake forever. It doesn't take that long, and it keeps me honest.
  • ericaeast92
    ericaeast92 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Whatever works for you. If you log for a month and are continually under your caloric goal without trying you may try cutting back on logging but continue to weigh in to look for any signs of weight gain.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    When I'm on the low end of my range I'll go back to weighing biweekly
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I couldn't go a month. If I suddenly weighed 7-8lbs more, I wouldn't immediately know if that was actual fat gain or water without being able to see the daily fluctuation pattern.
  • RaspberryTickleChicken
    Options
    TerryKes wrote: »
    Since starting my weight loss/fitness goal last September, I've weighed in once a week. I hit my goal a month ago and have been trying to figure out maintenance since. So far, so good, I'm only .2 from when maintenance began. I will continue to weigh once/week at least for few months, I think, but I've been wondering, does anyone only weigh in once a month?

I'm trying to also change my thought processes about weight, weight loss, exercise, food, etc. I don't want to continue to be obsessive (which I've been very focused for the past 6 months, which has allowed me to lose 48 pounds in 5 months and maintained the past 3 weeks).

I think I'll continue to log my food - but that creates an additional question, how long do you continue to log your food after hitting maintenance?

Any insight/advice is welcomed! Thanks!!

First of all congrats! (*)

I think your question is a fairly common one and it is not that different to when people ask how to lose weight ... there is NO one-blanket answer that fits everyone.

This is a highly individualized path so the simple answer is it all depends on your personality and lifestyle.

Some people after achieving goal weight is able to regain their internal food calculator (so-to-speak) and can maintain for years without logging or weighing their food. While others (like myself) can not. The key is to be brutally honest with yourself and assess your own skill set in that regards in order to determine if you should continue to weigh & log your food intake or not. For those of us who have embraced being a life logger, weighing & logging food has truly become a seamless part of our routine and think nothing of it. Kind of an automatic mode ie. putting on seat belt in the car sort of mindless habit. But if you see it as a burden then perhaps you can experiment with gauging portion size one meal at a time to evaluate how accurate you are.

In regards to weigh-in, again, this chalks up largely to personal preference & what will compliment your personality & lifestyle. When I was losing weight I weigh myself religiously every week, same time, same day, same clothes. The first few months of maintenance I weigh in about every other week, then once a month for another few months. After about a year, when my weight have truly stabilized [1-2 lbs +/- flux (closing in on 2 years maintaining YAY)] I weigh myself whenever I think of it ... whether that is a few weeks or months. As long as my weigh is within the normal flux I don't really pay all that much attention to the number on the scale any more which is a very odd concept to get use to. lol

Just don't forget to continue to set goals in maintenance for yourself. This may seem silly but it helps me to stay on track & motivated to continue this healthy lifestyle not just something temporary. And initially doing something, anything for the rest of my life seemed daunting & overwhelming. SO I broke it down to less monumental tasks with goals. For example, my first goal was to beat the statistical odds of regaining within the 1st year. Currently I am focused more on eating cleaner (reducing overall sugar, phasing out ranch dressing in my eating repertoire) & more fitness related goals like increase general muscle definition through weight training etc.

Best of luck to you!
  • jcim1ru
    jcim1ru Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    The scale is right there waiting for me every day after my shower. I step on it, read the number, think about my personal range allowance and step off. It's my sanity check. I can live without it and do when I travel. But the scale is like MFP, my buddy for life.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    I like to weigh daily. I think once a week makes more sense than once a month because there can be so much variation in weight that it takes a few measurements to be able to see a trend, but if it were me I wouldn't want to have to wait 2 or 3 months to really have a sense of that is going on.