Which serving size do I follow...cups or grams?

Options
2»

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    weigh solids, measure liquids
  • SweatLikeDog
    SweatLikeDog Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Grams are a measure of mass. Cups are a measure of volume. Volume varies with density. Mass stays constant.
  • littlebee55
    littlebee55 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I saw a video of the two different methods. I THINK it was in the MFP blog, but cannot swear to it. anyway, they had 5 or 6 people measure flour out by the cup. Every person came up with a different weight, even when they leveled it with a knife. Of course, when they measured it by weight, they always came out the same. The difference was incredible. so, I started measuring everything by weight. When I search on MFP, I will type in "banana g" or "Brussels sprouts g" because I often get ounces or cups. Then I open up the place that says oonces and look for 1g. That helps me a lot and I feel I can trust my measurements better.
  • billiebutton
    billiebutton Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Someone in one of the other threads posted a video about how inaccurate using measuring cups can be. I bought a food scale the next day. I only use a glass measuring cup or measuring spoons for liquids.
  • littlebee55
    littlebee55 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Someone in one of the other threads posted a video about how inaccurate using measuring cups can be. I bought a food scale the next day. I only use a glass measuring cup or measuring spoons for liquids.

I wonder if it was the same video I saw? I usually do the same thing with the liquid as you do. That's what made me start weighing.
  • billiebutton
    billiebutton Posts: 49 Member
    Options

I wonder if it was the same video I saw? I usually do the same thing with the liquid as you do. That's what made me start weighing.

It probably is. I've seen it posted a few times and it scared me :\
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    It always amazes me that people use a volume measurement when they want to measure weight.
    Cups are a measurement of volume and as as result the weight in a cup is depends on the (bulk) density of that what is measured. Grams are a measurement of weight.