Broke = Fat

Options

Replies

• krisnic0525
    krisnic0525 Posts: 14
    Options
    Don't give up! I'm a broke graduate student myself so I understand your situation. Try looking for discount produce--some times you can find perfectly good produce on discount because its bruised or isn't moving off the shelves fast enough. Also try checking out your local farmers market. I also agree with the other posters about getting your family involved. Look for generic or store brands versions of healthier food options. And finally, sometimes you have to sacrifice a bit. I know you have probably heard this your entire graduate school career with regards to other facets of your life but this is a time to seriously dig deep again. Your health is more important than anything. You have to live long enough to enjoy that degree you've been slaving away for. I've made the decision to cut back spending in others aspects of my life, and dare I say it, go a little out of my budget in other ways for my health and fitness. Remember you are worth it!
  • wonnder1
    wonnder1 Posts: 460
    Options
    It's not easy, no joke. I think most of us have been there.

A scale? Not really necessary. A measuring tape or even string will do it.

Here's the thing, it's not that Broke=Fat. It's Broke=Creative.

Yes, it's easier to buy Kraft Dinner and Ramen noodles. And I swore when I finished University that I would never eat it again, but there were times in my life I had to.

It's what you do with Ramen noodles that count. Nobody ever said your vegetables had to be hand picked local organic. A giant bag of frozen veggies is a steal.

You have to make better decisions with what you can afford. A pack of ramen, spice packet removed with a little bit of soy and a whole bunch of frozen veg. Those big boxes of chicken breasts. Hell, tomato soup with water. Yes, you can buy a cheap frozen pizza. Or you can buy pita bread, tomato sauce, veggies and make assembling them a family affair.

It can be done, but you have to put more of your time to make it work.

Sadly, KD is out. Seriously, how can something that good be THAT bad???

Hang in there, the lean years come and go, it's all what you learn from them.
  • ktc33
    ktc33 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    check out some garage sales. you may be able to find a scale there.
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    I am on a pretty tight budget and I honestly don't spend any more money eating healthy than I did before. As soon as I stopped buying junk food or processed foods and started spending money on healthy foods I ended up spending the same amount. There are tons of affordable healthy foods. Brown Rice, canned tuna, frozen veggies are cheaper than fresh, I buy chicken when it is on sale and portion it out and freeze it, eggs and you can do lots with eggs, switching from white to wheat bread is the same price, you can even get a whole chicken for pretty cheap and that goes a long ways. I didn't have a scale for a long time I just measured and could tell I was losing by the fact that my clothes got looser. I didn't know how much I was losing, but I knew that I was. You could also look at thrift stores for a used scale I got an old analog one for $1 and used it until I had some extra money to get a digital one. You can do it, it just takes a little extra planning. Good luck on your weight loss :-)
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    My school has a fitness facility that is free to students (well, we pay for it in fees, but we pay whether we use it or not, so might as well...). They have a scale in the women's locker room. Check it out. While you're there, you can look at all the things available for exercising too, and plan it into your daily schedule.

As far as food, who prepares it? Can you get more involved in the prep (and decisions of what to buy?). I know where you're coming from, we (my husband and I) both are full-time students, plus we have kids, there've been weeks when Ramen seems like the only option. But now we go to produce first and get excited about tomatoes on sale or that strawberries are in season and cheap, and we don't even go to the cookie or candy aisle, or the Ramen. If you can get involved in the shopping and food prep, you might be able to make some changes for everyone, and help train their tastebuds as well as yours for healthier eating.
  • lethalsarcasm
    Options
    THanks for all the encouragement guys. I really will try to stick to it. As far as dragging the rest of the family with though, I live with my fiance and his dad and brother. His dad has cancer and with all the chemo etc (as well as just being old and set in his ways) he has very strong opinions as to what should take-up our already limited grocery budget. I do get to sneak in the occasional fresh veggies/fruit, but mostly I have to make do with the canned stuff. It's 3 guys so food is usually a lot of meat and potatoes-type fare. I do buy brown rice and lentils for myself - those are my two indulgences on the grocery list so that i have a protien that i can use to replace fatty meats. I guess I am mostly trying to keep my head down and soldier through, but there are times I'd give anthing to use real free weights instead of my old milk jugs full of water or get on an elliptical instead of running up and down the staircase in our house.
  • reikimastertchr
    Options
    Freecycle.com on yahoo!!!! Also...not sure where you live but here in NH we have Market Basket...and out of the 4 major grocery stores theys are the least expensive for fresh veggies and fruits... along with other things... you need to do some leg work to find the cheapest near you but you can if you try hard.... ALSO I agree with EVERYONE in your family eating healthy... SO IMPORTANT!!!!! Blessings for you to stay on your journey... Make it a competition in the family... See who can alter their lifestyle FIRST and stick to it!!

5768506.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Easy tips I do now that I am laid off.
    I buy quick sale product and blanch/shock or roast whatever I cannot eat immediately.
    See if there is a farmer's market in your area We have one that sell eggs 3 dozen for $4. I boil a dozen for a grab and go breakfast or if I get snacky late at night.
    Try Quinoa. it's a whole grain, complete protein and dirt cheap. Use instead of rice or pasta.
    Try buying frozen veg.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    pound for pound, eating healthy food is way, way cheaper than not. even organic! just start looking at how much you're paying for junk food!

if it means that you have to make yourself $20/wk to buy your own food (and believe me, you can eat pretty well on $20 if you plan it right), then do it. be determined, don't make excuses no matter how reasonable they may sound in your head.

making a healthy life is a process. and we can all say how so-and-so has it so much easier for such-and-such reason, but none of those things are real.

you can get a lot of exercise in by cycling to work/school or grocery store. walking when the distance is less than a mile. drinking water (totally free), doing calisthenics using your own body weight as resistance. broke =/= fat. just ask anyone other than an American.
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    You can do it. I do think sometimes it is cheaper to eat junk. My grocery budget when up when I changed the way I/we eat. Some stuff, like fat free cheese is expensive, I stopped buying that!

Good luck, if I can make changes anyone can!!!!
  • Famzav8
    Famzav8 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! As disheartening as it seems sometimes..... just keep on doing the best you can. I would check out a produce stand if you have one in your town. We have some produce stands here that do $1 bags and fill them full of their short dated produce. I just stopped in this evening and picked up three artichokes, 2 1/2 pounds of tomatos, and 6 onions for $3. I will usually base my meals off of what produce I am able to get at a steal. I cut coupons, and look at the weekly ads. Whatever produce is the cheapest that week, or on special I will use that to figure out my meals for the week. You sound like you have alot on your plate right now...... take some time out for yourself.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    also, you can grow many things from seed in containers ... doesn't get cheaper than that! if you know any gardeners, i'm sure they'd even give you some seed to get you started!
  • yogajan
    yogajan Posts: 9
    Options
    I am new here, but not a novice when it comes to trying all types of weight loss plans.

The one that has been most effective for me may work for you, since you are in grad school.

Make a plan like you are doing a research project. Only this time you are the subject of the research and although you won't get university credit for it, the end result will be a personal best to you.

It has been a long time since I was in graduate school, but I do remember the projects, which was a very good education for my future jobs and life. So I developed my own research project on fitness and health, which includes getting to a weight of around 135. Like any research project, I defined my goals, set up my systems, did my research and am recording my results. I use MacJournal to set up my eating and exercise plan, this site to record my daily food and exercise and am constantly reading medical journals to see what is happening in the field.

If you use this approach, take one full day to plan how you are going to do it. Because of your budgetary issues, you need to do more planning on purchasing food and selecting what is best for you. For me, planning is the key, because if I don't I get hungry and have been known to make cookies in the middle of the night. I also made a plan for special events, eating out and other events that could interfere with my goal.

So far so good for me. I have lost 20 pounds since working on my plan, with a few ups and downs. I don't worry about the times my weight doesn't move, because I have also planned for that. This process is not very easy, but it works, which is all I care about. I do look forward to the day that my weight is not such a prominent issue in my life.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Don't give up!

I have a VERY tight food budget for 4 people and I manage to make it work. First thing, sit down with the sale ads for the week and figure out what is on sale. You can often find chicken or pork buy one, get one free. After you've gone through the ads, then take what is on sale and make a menu with it. Your family would benefit from eating better. This is the chance to change ALL of your eating habits - not just yours. You can find healthier, cheaper meals. You just have to be creative.

A few things we do that are inexpensive and easy:

Turkey tacos - made just like regular tacos, but with turkey. If you look you can find ground turkey on sale OR buy the stuff close to the sell by date and put it in the freezer when you get home.

Turkey sloppy joes with wheat buns.

We sometimes make egg whites (we buy regular eggs because they're cheaper and separate them) and add cheese, sausage or ham to it. Like an omelet, but better for you. Have some whole wheat toast with it.

Making sure you get enough protein and eat less processed stuff will make weight loss easier AND you'll feel better.

If you need anymore ideas - feel free to message me. :)

(As for the scale -- don't worry about it. I wish I didn't have one most of the time! Take pics or buy a cheap measuring tape at Wal Mart).
  • GypsyWagon
    GypsyWagon Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Ditch the canned veggies, and go frozen. Much better for you and you can portion out what you need for a meal more easily. Just rinse them and steam them in the microwave with the water that's clinging to them. Also, check your area to see if there's a fruit/veg co-op. We have Bountiful Baskets out here and for $15 conventional/$25 organic you get a large assortment of half fruit/half veg. They're the size that would feed a family of four. You could maybe even split one with another starving student if the guys in your house won't eat them. I like to make soup and eat it for several days...might be a good option for you. It will fill you up with fewer calories. Hang in there.
  • AprilHead
    AprilHead Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I know what it's like to be broke. If you message me your address, I'll send you a scale, if you'd like. :)
  • ResilientWoman
    ResilientWoman Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    There is a huge correlation between poverty and obesity.

Having said that, I've made the shift and figured out how to feed the whole family on a small fixed income. I am disabled and my only source of income is an insufficient amount of SSI. We have networked with churches, gleaning organizations, friends who grow more veggies than they can eat. I've requested that people not buy 'things' for my daughter or I for birthdays but food such as an organic farm/ranch share. I have shared my story with the farmers at local farmers markets and had them donate food.

Volunteering in urban non-profits to end hunger has also helped.

It all comes down to what you value. If you want to win, you'll find a way. If you need more specifics, friend me.
  • AprilHead
    AprilHead Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    There is a huge correlation between poverty and obesity.

Having said that, I've made the shift and figured out how to feed the whole family on a small fixed income. I am disabled and my only source of income is an insufficient amount of SSI. We have networked with churches, gleaning organizations, friends who grow more veggies than they can eat. I've requested that people not buy 'things' for my daughter or I for birthdays but food such as an organic farm/ranch share. I have shared my story with the farmers at local farmers markets and had them donate food.

Volunteering in urban non-profits to end hunger has also helped.

It all comes down to what you value. If you want to win, you'll find a way. If you need more specifics, friend me.

You're completely right with the obesity and poverty thing. Foods that fatten you up with low nutrition like Top Ramen and Rice a Roni are always super cheap. I knew some crafty old Russian women who moved from poverty to the US, and they literally grew everything in their front yard because that was the only way you could buy vegetables without breaking bank. It's only going to get worse I'm afraid. I'm getting grow lights for my apartment, and it's not for weed. Hahaha!
  • itsmeclorene
    Options
    I'm broke too and have to go by what my mom buys. You can still count your calories and stay under your goal. Cans of fruit and vegetables are cheap and I even just got 6 fresh kiwis for only a few dollars.
  • totustuusmaria
    totustuusmaria Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I don't think you should give up!!!

I just started this whole weight loss thing (well... at least this way) myself and have been a little struck by the expensiveness of it all. But there are certainly ways to make things work; coupons being your best friend. Take advantage of coupon sites and maybe look online for a local coupon blog. Sometimes there are great little savers in your area blogging their every saving-move that you can cheat off!

Also consider and be open to other supermarkets/groceries then the regular. I prefer to shop at Kroger because of its close proximity and reliability, but compared to Walmart they are very expensive without coupons. So, sometimes when I am in a pinch I drive a bit farther (or take the bus) to Walmart instead. And I save. If you have an Aldi's in your area, then look into shopping there and purchasing the Fit and Active brand instead of Weight Watchers. It is just as good. You can save up to 50% regularly doing that. And although you can't price-match much else at Walmart from Aldis you can price match their produce. In a local add they had cucumbers this week for 25 cents and 8 oz of mushrooms for 69 cents. That was lower then Walmart.

And go to the Farmers Market!!! There can be great deals there sometimes!

Being without a scale/measuring utensil is an obstacle, but not one you can't overcome for a short time creatively.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/healthy-eating/10-ways-to-measure-perfect-portion-sizes/pictures/index.html

Although you don't have a scale, you can take regular things from around your house that are proven to be the same size/right portion of a certain type of food. Such as one cup of pasta or rice will be the size of a tennis ball. 3 oz of fish will roughly be the size of a check book. 3 oz of meat is roughly the size of a deck of cards.

As far as work-out videos and tapes go, you can also search for used that are like brand new because the person selling them most likely never even used them!! And sometimes you might even find weights and possibly kitchen aid stuff on places like craigslist for much lower then store prices.

And gym memberships are not necessities. You can run and have fun outside. There are free zumba classes everywhere! There are five in a 10 miles radius from me! http://www.zumba.com/ ... And some of the best strength training it just basic situps and pushups. You can use bottled waters, soda liters, milk gallons as weights.

And, like someone else said, make your family fit right along with yourself!

I can sympathize with you so much... it is difficult to do basic grocery shopping... especially in this economy with increased fuel prices = increased food prices and I am not a student right now. You are! But don't feel like you have to sacrifice yourself and your health for your education. With a little creativity & research you won't have too! Hang in there! <3

EDIT: Also, I was just thinking too about the Amish Markets. I don't know where you are at, but we have an amish store around me and I know in the North there are more little markets where they show up and their produce and meat can be really inexpensive and all of their things are natural.