Sedentary vegetarians / vegans please answer this.

Options
hi! How can I lose weight without exercising? I'm working all day and have no time to go to the gym plus the gyms where I live are way to expensive Help please

Replies

• vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    You don't have to exercise to lose weight. Find your daily calorie allotment, and eat under it. Plus - there are tons of great veg recipes online. Hope it goes well!!
  • punkuate
    punkuate Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Calories in - calories out. Eat less than you need to maintain your current weight. you don't necessary have to exercise.

However, I work full time, have a child and I still manage to find time to walk and am doing couch to 5k. Why not go out a walk on your lunch break or have a run before/after work? Take the stairs instead of the lift? Exercise isn't restricted to gyms.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit=weight loss. Unfortunately, without exercise, you will probably lose a lot of muscle with your fat, especially if your protein is low.
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,968 Member
    Options
    I'm a sedentary vegetarian with long hours at a desk job. I've been walking at lunch every day since January 5. I started with 30 minutes Monday through Friday; now I'm up to 40. My goal is just to move.

It's working remarkably well. I walk in the lobby/hallways at work since it's been so cold, but I'm looking forward to venturing outdoors.

Hope this helps!
  • samiamorisseau
    samiamorisseau Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    punkuate wrote: »
    Calories in - calories out. Eat less than you need to maintain your current weight. you don't necessary have to exercise.

However, I work full time, have a child and I still manage to find time to walk and am doing couch to 5k. Why not go out a walk on your lunch break or have a run before/after work? Take the stairs instead of the lift? Exercise isn't restricted to gyms.
    Calorie deficit=weight loss. Unfortunately, without exercise, you will probably lose a lot of muscle with your fat, especially if your protein is low.

Good idea Im going to try to walk on my lunch break but I always get so paranoid with the carbs. I know carbs don't make people fat. But I get so worried about it. I'm like eating 1150 calories a day because if I eat more to 1,200 calories my fitnesspal will notify me saying oh you have to stay under 178 grams of carbs which bothers me.
  • samiamorisseau
    Options
    SaraKim17 wrote: »
    I'm a sedentary vegetarian with long hours at a desk job. I've been walking at lunch every day since January 5. I started with 30 minutes Monday through Friday; now I'm up to 40. My goal is just to move.

It's working remarkably well. I walk in the lobby/hallways at work since it's been so cold, but I'm looking forward to venturing outdoors.

Hope this helps!

Can I walk for 20 mins? Will it help?

• punkuate
    punkuate Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Any movement will help. Getting protein is difficult for us veggies but if you're not getting enough through microprotein type stuff (quorn, etc) you could try protein shakes. Carbs won't kill you tho! :)
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    hi! How can I lose weight without exercising? I'm working all day and have no time to go to the gym plus the gyms where I live are way to expensive Help please

I have learned the hard way that time is not something we " have ",
    Time is something we " make ".
    When I was in rehabilitation after losing my thyroid to cancer, which made me super-hypothyroid, my favorite excuse was that I did not have time to exercise.
    It took almost two years after finally adding walking ( first slowly for short periods of time and now 45-60 minutes at least five times a week ) to the meds and me learning to " make " time.
    You can do the same, if you make your health and fitness a priority.
    The above OP is right, you don't need to exercise to lose weight; but it helps tremendously if you like a more holistic approach of weight loss, health, fitness and general well being.
    Good Luck !

• samiamorisseau
    Options
    Any movement will help. Getting protein is difficult for us veggies but if you're not getting enough through microprotein type stuff (quorn, etc) you could try protein shakes. Carbs won't kill you tho! :)

Will it affect my weight loss if I ate 200 grams of carbs (healthy carbs) on the days I don't exercise (walking) proteins shakes are so expensive:(
  • StephenCyrus
    StephenCyrus Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I bought an elliptical trainer for home (cardio workouts) and a small weight bench (strength training). There is always time to be healthy!
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,968 Member
    Options
    SaraKim17 wrote: »

Hope this helps!

Can I walk for 20 mins? Will it help?
    Definitely! I would have started with 5 or 10 minutes if I'd had to. Every little bit helps. :smiley:
  • runnrchic
    runnrchic Posts: 130 Member
    Options

Good idea Im going to try to walk on my lunch break but I always get so paranoid with the carbs. I know carbs don't make people fat. But I get so worried about it. I'm like eating 1150 calories a day because if I eat more to 1,200 calories my fitnesspal will notify me saying oh you have to stay under 178 grams of carbs which bothers me.

Don't worry about carbs. I eat over my carbs almost everyday. They mainly come from whole grains, fruits, and veggies.
  • samiamorisseau
    edited March 2015
    Options
    runnrchic wrote: »

Don't worry about carbs. I eat over my carbs almost everyday. They mainly come from whole grains, fruits, and veggies.

Don't worry about carbs. I eat over my carbs almost everyday. They mainly come from whole grains, fruits, and veggies. If I eat over my carbs from fruits and vegetables, whole grains will gain fat? I'm very scared that I'll gain fat
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I exercise every now and then, but for the most part my chronic migraines have been making it difficult of late.

Weight loss is really all about your calorie deficit. You don't need to worry about your carbs. You need to worry about your calories.

Buy a food scale. Weigh all your solids. Measure all liquids. Make sure you're selecting correct data base entries by verifying them with either the USDA data base or nutritiondata.self.com.

• chubbard9
    chubbard9 Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Eat at a deficit, try to get some walking in, and you will lose weight. What matters is the calories, not the carbs... If it were all about carbs, sugar, protein, etc. I'd be in trouble. I often go over my carbs or sugar because of the amount of fruit I eat every day... But I have lost almost 20 pounds just remaining at a deficit. If you can "find time" to get a walk in, it will definitely be an added benefit!
  • gregkeely718
    gregkeely718 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    MRM veggie elite protein powder is what I've been using. It has a whopping 24g of protein and is 130 calories per scoop. It's also quite delicious. I use chocolate mocha flavor.

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

You can also change your carb goal. I customized my goals to increase carbs and it works for me. If your only reason to eat at that level is to avoid the warning, why not see if it works you?

• Vixenmd1
    Vixenmd1 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Vegan (25 years and counting)who has a desk job that I do from home office. In 2007-2008 I lost 75 lbs on WW and exercise from home. First 6 months I walked 15 mins then 20 then 30 sometimes at 6 am other days in pieces ( 15 mins here and there adds up). Then I did couch to 5 k. I swear by it. I was 37 and had never ran a step. Ran a 5 k in first 3 months then 3 months later my first half marathon. Went on to run three. I kept off my weight for a few years but fell off my own wagon and hit hormone changes. So here I am with 40-50 to take off. But in everything I did exercise wise ( and am restarting) it never involved a gym since I don't want the expense and I don't like them. Walk st first then try couch to 5k. And walking for a few mins at a time is fine if that is what you can do. I am very busy and firgured out that for me walking running early in the morning works best.
  • samiamorisseau
    Options

You can also change your carb goal. I customized my goals to increase carbs and it works for me. If your only reason to eat at that level is to avoid the warning, why not see if it works you?

How can I increase my carb goal?
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,754 Member
    Options
    runnrchic wrote: »

Don't worry about carbs. I eat over my carbs almost everyday. They mainly come from whole grains, fruits, and veggies. If I eat over my carbs from fruits and vegetables, whole grains will gain fat? I'm very scared that I'll gain fat

You can customize your carbs/protein/fats that should stop the nagging from MFP. Go to My home - Goals.

Read this thread :
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833026-important-posts-to-read
    and the suggested threads in there. Learn how to get more protein. Low GI Index carbs will only help you not hurt you. Go easy on white carbs of all kinds except for cauliflower of course.

Measure as accurately as possible and walk. You can also find some good yoga stuff on Youtube, that will help. Strength training of any kind helps with muscle retention. You might even try some no gym strength videos there, you don't even need weights. A gallon of milk, almond or cow based, weighs @ 8lbs. and cans of stuff around the house will surprise you, you might not need dumbells. You can find dumbells at garage sales or thrift shops to get other sizes if you decide to do that. If you want to avoid gaining fat, build some muscles :).

Good luck. I'm no longer veggie, but have been for a large part of my life. It can be done.