Traveling for work and need to stay on track

Options
I'm getting ready to do a lot of traveling for work and starting to worry that all of the hard work I've done for the past few weeks will be lost on long client dinners and little time to work out - any tips?

Replies

• putnam80
    putnam80 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Oh I hear ya on this one.

It has only been since I started this that I have been home more. But, I am determined with less for dinners on the road and some kind of walk before or after work, even if its at the hotel gym. just got to stick with it.
  • gatedialer
    gatedialer Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I have a three week trip to Moscow later this year. Eating and tracking will not be possible. I hope I can manage to stay on track. I guess doing lots of walking will be helpful when traveling.
  • aa1440
    aa1440 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Don't give yourself excuses for not staying on track. If there is a "will" there is a way.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I'm getting ready to do a lot of traveling for work and starting to worry that all of the hard work I've done for the past few weeks will be lost on long client dinners and little time to work out - any tips?

-Use the hotel gym as soon as you awaken

-Be careful with your breakfast choices--it's the meal you've got the best chance of controlling all day, as you usually don't have clients with you

-Watch the alcohol.

-When you order dinner with clients, always get a salad as your appetizer. Eat it ALL. When your entree comes, eat the veggies first. By the time you've eaten 2-3 cups of veggies, you'll be so stuffed that you won't be physically capable of eating much of your entree and you'll be fine!

I used to travel for work extensively and those are my tips. I maintained my weight very well following them.
  • kittyloo123
    kittyloo123 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    can you get a room with a fridge??? If there is a whole foods around or a trader Joes, that could help. You could take a baby cooler for lunches. hb eggs, they have tuna in the foil packs now. Lots of choices. Look around before you go, so you can be planning mentaly.
  • LookN2Lose15
    Options
    I am a travel nurse (started traveling in July of last year) I have gained 15 pounds since then. It is definitely harder to maintain weight while you travel. Hence, the reason I am here. Support Buddy?:smile:
  • jamielise2
    jamielise2 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I used to be on the road 7 weeks out of 9 for business. What I did was always get a hotel room with a fridge and microwave, then the first day I was there I went grocery shopping. Picked up fruit, yogurt, oatmeal, and skim milk to use for breakfasts. I would get whole wheat pitas, baby carrots, cheese, and deli turkey to pack my lunch when I could (and use hummus instead of mayo on the pita sandwich), then live on roasted chicken, broccoli, baked potatoes and cottage cheese for dinner. Sometimes bagged salad as well. If you must eat out, be very aware of how food is prepared, and portion sizes. ALWAYS get salad dressing on the side, and request them to leave off the cheese and croutons where possible. Go for grilled lean proteins with steamed veggies, etc. No butter. It CAN be done. I lost 60 lbs while I was traveling by doing this.
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    Squeeze in any exercise you can, whenever you can, even if it is just 10-15 minutes in the gym - don't fall into the trap of thinking that since you don't have time for a full workout, you can't do anything - I often hit the gym after a late dinner or meeting, even if just for a short light workout - it makes me feel more in control, that I'm staying on track with the discipline, and makes it easier to get back into the swing of things when I get home. Also, try to avoid unhealthy snacks, appetizers, desserts, etc... - usually it's not the meals themselves that do you in, but the extras that you can choose not to eat.
  • yogajan
    yogajan Posts: 9
    Options
    Lots of good advise from posters here. I have a few more and want to emphasize some of the others.
    1. forget the alcohol, drink sparkling water. Alcohol not only is empty calories, it make you more likely to overeat.

2. Most better restaurants are quite accommodating to dieters. Ask for salad dressing on the side, for fish to be grilled, etc. My personal favorite is to order two appetizers and no entree.

3. There should be a law against meetings. Besides being boring and almost useless, you sit in an over air-conditioned room in one spot for hours. Take as many bathroom breaks as you can, walk as much as you can around the hotel, do some simple yoga stretches and use the gym if they have one.

4. Get plenty of sleep. The data of lack of sleep and obesity are compelling and I am a believer. Keep the room cool and dark and try to get restful sleep.

I hope these help a bit. For many years, I have traveled for business and have had to develop some subtle ways to keep on my plan without making a big deal out of it.