Soda :/

Options
I really loooove soda and am having a hard time giving the junk up.

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    So drink diet?
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    Can you fit a glass here and there into your calorie goals?
  • nikkinoellemary
    nikkinoellemary Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I know that feel!

I eventually weaned myself off of having it all the time (I do still have some now and then) by switching to iced teas and flavored seltzers.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    What soda can't you give up? Coke Zero has been a life saver for me.
  • KingofWisdom
    KingofWisdom Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I bought Gatorade powder to try and wean myself off soda. Not that I want to stop drinking it, but I probably shouldn't drink more than a can a day (at least for me to stay in a calorie deficit). You can also try flavoring your water with fruit. I've tried to drink diet soda, but I cannot pretend that it is as good as the real thing.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Being able to have better meals was all it took for me to give up soda. Down from a 12-pack per week to a 20oz bottle every Saturday.
  • ChaiTea2015
    Options
    I started drinking a lot of sweet teas or lemonade. Basically things that have the sugar I wanted but also a lot of water in them as well. When I cut out soda I started replacing it with cups of water and I eventually stopped missing the sugar altogether. Now I'm on water 24/7. It's really a weening process. The only one who can make the change is you.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I tapered down to a can at dinner every night, then switched to diet. I don't drink coffee/tea, so I need some sort of caffeine.
  • kimtober
    kimtober Posts: 52 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Giving up pop was how I started my weight loss a year ago and I think it's the reason that it's felt relatively easy for me to lose 40lbs. I only drink water at home but I do get a Coke sometes when I go out, though I'm trying to cut back on that now too. Really, I don't miss it at all. The hard part is just convincing myself that I don't need it. When I'm out, I have a major debate with myself about whether I'm going to order a coke but when I do just get water I don't regret it at all! It's all psychological for me. Isn't everything? :)
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Nothing is junk in and of itself, unless you're having it in excess.

Can you fit the calories in your day and still meet your nutritional goals with an otherwise balanced diet filled with a variety of foods? Then have some soda.

If not, then either replace it with diet, or just go cold turkey. For some people, being moderate isn't easy until they go the cold turkey route and "reset" their taste buds. After a few weeks of this, you can usually reintroduce whatever you have trouble with to your diet in moderation. If it's still a problem for you, lather rinse, repeat.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Then don't and fit it in your goals. Or get diet instead.
  • Nuka_Gina
    Nuka_Gina Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Giving up soda is harder, to me, than it was to quit smoking. So I totally feel ya! What I'm doing is taking it a day at a time and drinking lots of water! :) You can do it OP!
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    So drink diet?

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Try seltzer water.
  • SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Yea and your point is? LOL

Switch to 12oz cans if you do not drink them already and then fit it into your calorie goal for the day.
  • Leana088
    Leana088 Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Fit one can into your day, and savor it. Or replace it with diet soda.

I cut way down on soda because it was one of the things that made me gain weight. But I drank a lot, I litterally drank soda and fruit juice in place of water. That's about 1280 calories extra p/day. And I wondered why I gained haha.
  • beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Try La Croix water. It has no artificial ingredients and 0 calories. The carbonation and slight sweet flavor is just what I need. I love the citrus flavors and the new apple flavor.
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    If you have a hard time quitting, tell someone who lives with you about it so they can help you stay accountable to your goal of cutting back (or cutting out all soda).
    Years ago I drank soda with meals and whenever I was thirsty; but when I started learning more about what foods are nutritious and how soda effects the body I just stopped it cold turkey. I remember it being difficult but it helped me because once I lost the cravings for it, it no longer controlled me.
    Now, If I'm in the mood for a drink I'll sometimes have a diet soda or a diet sonic drink, but I'm not overwhelmed with cravings to drink it daily. I think I struggle with sweet foods more than sweet drinks (but everyone is different).

You'll have to find what works best for you, and that might be having it 2-3 times a week instead of 7 days a week. Soda now and then isn't going to make or break you, as long as you're conscious on the size of your drink and calories.

Good luck!

• austingalb1709
    Options
    Try Coke Zero. It's much better than any diet soda.
  • vikkiitoria
    vikkiitoria Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I sip on water every chance I get so I usually don't have any cravings for it but once in a while I allow my self some diet coke or a regular coke as long as it fits into my calories.