Get rid of a hangover without the junk?

Options
Obviously, it'd be ideal not to drink too much in the first place. But, that judgment aside, any tips on quickly getting over a hangover without destroying my diet so I can workout?

Replies

• kmccann357
    kmccann357 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Sweat it out! Work out through it, it helps!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    have a low sodium v8 and drink some water and take a couple ibuprofens. V8 is full of electrolytes and other vitamins and minerals and always does the trick for me. I do low sodium due to my hypertension.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Hydrate yourself. Water works for me.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Greasy food is usually the only thing that works for me, and sweetened iced tea...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    hair of the dog baby!!!

JK ..

if you can get through a work out then it will help out….although, sometimes I find that if I workout too hard that it makes said hangover worse….

honestly, the best cure for a hangover is just time….
  • lisawinning4losing
    lisawinning4losing Posts: 726 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Drinking always makes me so hungry the next day, even if I didn't drink that much and I'm not that hung over. I've decided to just avoid it completely. Other than NOT drinking, the only thing I would suggest is caffeine. Get a good cup of coffee, or energy drink, or whatever you're into. And lots of water, especially if you're going to be working out. If you're hung over, you're dehydrated.
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Obviously, it'd be ideal not to drink too much in the first place. But, that judgment aside, any tips on quickly getting over a hangover without destroying my diet so I can workout?

Sure I've been told honey, banana and milk blended into a smoothie is a good way to cure a hangover. Never tried it though because I don't drink alcohol.
  • RocketGirlWalker
    RocketGirlWalker Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I order bar food takeout. I know I shouldn't but I do. Instead of a burger, I get a grilled chicken sandwich and then I will get either mozzarella sticks or mini tacos. I know I shouldn't but it really helps on those hangover days! I log it into my MFP honestly and it is what it is.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I order bar food takeout. I know I shouldn't but I do. Instead of a burger, I get a grilled chicken sandwich and then I will get either mozzarella sticks or mini tacos. I know I shouldn't but it really helps on those hangover days! I log it into my MFP honestly and it is what it is.

did you even read OP's title that she did not want to go that route????
  • jennahaines108
    jennahaines108 Posts: 58 Member
    Options

That sounds delicious lol you just gave me a craving for mozzarella sticks.
  • jennahaines108
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    have a low sodium v8 and drink some water and take a couple ibuprofens. V8 is full of electrolytes and other vitamins and minerals and always does the trick for me. I do low sodium due to my hypertension.

I'm going to have to try that today.

• macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I've found that making sure I drink a glass of water before bed and sleeping on my left side helps. Drinking ginger ale the next morning helps with the upset tummy. Ginger tea might work, too, though I haven't tried it yet.

I've also found that I'm less likely to be hungover if I drink rum instead of vodka. Might be worth seeing if a particular type of alcohol is less likely to leave you with a hangover too :)

~Lyssa
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Aspirin and hydration can help.

A traditional hangover food in Latin America is fish or shrimp ceviche. It's marinated in lime juice and covered with onions, cilantro and other vegetables. Very healthy! Latin grocery stores often have prepared ceviche in the fish case. You can also get it at restaurants. Most good Mexican restaurants will have some version of ceviche. Peruvian restaurants will have a better version, if you have one of those around.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Alcohol stays in your system till you burn it off. It doesn't get stored and inhibits any burning of other energy sources (glycogen, fat) till it's gone.
    Dependent on how much you drank, time is still going to be the main factor here. And don't go to the gym with a hangover. All the noise will just distract you and your workout will usually be lack luster. Better to just go for a walk in a safe place.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • chriskangell
    chriskangell Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Stopping drinking after years of drinking and partying was the single best thing I've ever done for my body and my diet. I tried drinking water before I went to bed, eating certain things after I woke up, and so on, and nothing ever worked except not drinking too much in the first place. I work out every day now that I never drink.

No judgement, of course, but the objective truth is just that. If you really want to get faded one or two nights a week, you may wish to make the next day your off days so your body can recover from a) being drunk and b) the other workouts you recently did.
  • Aine8046
    Aine8046 Posts: 2,122 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Better to just go for a walk in a safe place.
    Same for me - long walk in a park, where it's quiet and there is some fresh air...
  • MonsoonStorm
    MonsoonStorm Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    kmccann357 wrote: »
    Sweat it out! Work out through it, it helps!

Not a good idea unless you've already re-hydrated yourself LOTS.

Coconut water is a good balanced electrolyte replacement if you prefer not to go the gatorade route. A tea made from fresh ginger and goji berries is also good for settling the tummy.

Food wise I go with a ramen type soup noodle deal: Chicken broth, rice noodles for the carb hit, plenty of fresh ginger for the tummy, coriander, a bit of soy sauce (I tend to run low on sodium), and some choisum/pakchoi & chicken if I think my stomach can handle it.

• chriskangell
    chriskangell Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    By the way, I would go on 10-15 mile bike rides averaging 10-12 mph when I was hung over. They were tolerable and were a nice way to get out and steadily burn some calories.
  • MonsoonStorm
    MonsoonStorm Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    hrm... I've just noticed that I'm giving hangover advice to a 23 yr old ;) Ignore everything, you're young and not hurting much, suck it up and deal with it! :p

Get back to us in 10-15 yrs when you discover what hangovers are really like ;)
  • jennahaines108
    Options
    By the way, I would go on 10-15 mile bike rides averaging 10-12 mph when I was hung over. They were tolerable and were a nice way to get out and steadily burn some calories.

I didn't drink too much but my body's been more sensitive since I started eating cleaner and working out. I have a kickball game today though so, as long as I don't drink there, that should be a light hour sweat.