My main problem

Options
2»

Replies

• maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Me too! Nights when I can't sleep and am up super late are the worst, I just want to eat snacky foods. If I have a protein shake (about 210 cals, with 140 cal protein powder and 70 cals of almond milk) I find that helps me feel full and not feel snacky (which are two different things for me).
  • BombolinaM
    BombolinaM Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    It sounds to me like you are hungry. It seems counter-intuitive, but I would recommend eating a little bit more fat throughout the day, eggs, cheese, meat, olive oil, fish, etc. That might mean by the end of the day your body won't be craving food as badly. I had the same problem as you, except I would also get hunger headaches to go with it. Eating a little more animal fat at every meal really helped me.

I'm not hungry though, it feels more like a mental thing for me, working to break the consistent habit that I have created the last few years

I do the same thing. I think it is a mental thing and habit. I am a night time eater. What really kills me is when I give into myself and feel guilty afterwards and every time the food or craving I eat doesn't even taste good. Good for you for posting this and be proud of yourself for not giving into temptation..
  • sue26
    sue26 Posts: 412
    Options
    I just save enough calories for an evening snack, usually charted under "extras":smile:
  • yogajan
    yogajan Posts: 9
    Options
    I will not give advise to anyone else, but will tell you what worked for me.

I have spent the last month studying my body, my eating and exercise habits and anything else that may be getting in the way of getting my weight to a healthy level. Because I also do considerable research on the weight topic, I keep reading about sleep and obesity. So I notice that if I go to bed hungry, I don't sleep well, get up in the middle of the night and eat anything in the house. In fact, one time I even got in the car in my jammies and found an all-night drive through and ordered just about everything on the menu.

So, I have changed my routine...I now have a nice snack about an hour before I go to bed. Tonight I had chicken breast 2 ounces and an apple. When i do that, I sleep better, don't wake up in the middle of the night and get up refreshed.

Please don't anyone tell me that I shouldn't eat so much before I go to bed. There is no scientific evidence that proves that eating before you go to bed is bad and evolving evidence that when the brain gets too hypoglycemic it will do what it needs to do to get food.

Understand, this is what works for me. You may want to keep an open mind and keep experimenting on what works best for YOU.