Vegetarian Protein

Options
2»

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I would recommend doing a bit of research on what seitan actually is, as some people would suggest its not good for you.

Who suggests that and what is their reasoning?
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    scaryg53 wrote: »
    Seitan is full of protein, has a lot of sodium though. You can make your yen though.

If you make your own, you can control the sodium level.
  • 111grace
    111grace Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Hi I also have a hard time getting my protein quota for the day!! I hardly every reach it!!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I would recommend doing a bit of research on what seitan actually is, as some people would suggest its not good for you.

Who suggests that and what is their reasoning?

Seitan is primarily made out of wheat gluten so some people cannot eat it.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »

Seitan is primarily made out of gluten so some people cannot eat it.

People should always avoid foods to which they have a sensitivity or allergy, but gluten is not a problem for most people. Saying something is "not good for you" generally because a few people cannot tolerate it makes little sense. Do you think this person also posts this warning in threads where peanuts or dairy are suggested because some people are sensitive to those?
  • dogsarebears
    dogsarebears Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    The big switch i made when i saw i was low on protein was to sub greek yogurt in place of milk in my cereal. I eat a mix of plain Greek yogurt (fage 2%), kashi go lean, and frozen blueberries for breakfast. The greek yogurt packs a mean protein punch and kashi go lean is the highest protein cereal i know of.

Other go to veggie proteins are....
    for adding in meals: cottage cheese, tofu, eggs, beans.
    And for snacks: string cheese, greek yogurt, hummus

If you eat fish that helps too
  • dogsarebears
    dogsarebears Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Oh also certain grains like quinoa, farro, and buckwheat are good
  • kpw818
    kpw818 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I'd go for lentils and quinoa, but I struggled with plant proteins overall. Quinoa is a good oatmeal replacement, so I'm going to try that for breakfasts soon.
  • graciiekim
    graciiekim Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    ad149dea61f730d7fffbdc95bd602b08.jpg

Ah thank you for this!
  • jillianedwards
    jillianedwards Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Vega One makes some pretty good stuff if you want to add their powder to a smoothie or have a quick bar on the go!
  • SabrinaLovesPandora
    SabrinaLovesPandora Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I tend not to like protein bars, but without them I don't hit my daily amount either.

HOWEVER, I found these amaaaaaazing bars called LaraBars. They're vegan, gluten free, soy free, etc. and they're FULL of protein. I hit almost all my needed amount with just one a day.
  • Raaneve
    Raaneve Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I personally like Bob's Red Mill Textured Vegetable Protein.

12g protein, 80 calories per 24g serving. Only has one ingredient: defatted soy flour.

(Obviously, if you have allergies or other issues with soy products this stuff is not for you.)

I cook it into stuff like quinoa and oatmeal and it pretty much disappears.

Leave it crunchy and mix it into your dry granola snacks and such.

Really doesn't have much flavor of its own, so I use it in all kinds of stuff...