Seriously struggling

Options
I'm really struggling to lose weight at the moment. I tore a ligament in my ankle and have been advised not to do any exercise and am on the list for surgery. But I need to lose at least 5lbs by May. I'm trying to eat no more than 1350 a day but I find that its so low I'm really struggling and I always go over it partly because I eat cause I'm bored and partly cause im trying to keep a deficit so I can lose weight. If you were in my situation what would you do?

Replies

• heyfathead
    heyfathead Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You could try drinking more water, weight your food heavier to proteins, that seems to help me.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Exercise is not required to lose weight, a caloric deficit is. Since you can't earn many calories through exercise (look into chair exercises), that primarily, leaves the deficit. Either A. lower the aggressiveness of your goal, or B. stop "bored" eating.
  • MeanNurseGM95
    MeanNurseGM95 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I had a similar problem. I couldn't exercise because of recovering from surgery for over a month and I love to eat when I am bored or stressed. When I am feeling like eating because I am bored I try to refocus on something else like reading (I tried tv but all thoes food commercials didn't help) amd when I want to stress eat or the refocus doesn't help I add low calorie foods I can have big portions of like broccoli or carrots. You can have like two cups of broccoli and still be under a 100 calories.
  • Lee6594
    Lee6594 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I make sure I drink two litres of water a day and I've tried to stop eating cause I'm bored but it's harder than it sounds. I think I need to have smaller meals in the evening and at least that way I'll be hungry for breakfast as I always eat it but only because I know I should
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i dont see why you cant do exercise that doesnt involve your ankles? go to the gym and hit the weight machines!
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Why do you need 5 lbs by May? Also, all you need to lose weight is a Codie deficit, and if you're less active than normal, you'll require less calories.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Lee6594 wrote: »
    I make sure I drink two litres of water a day and I've tried to stop eating cause I'm bored but it's harder than it sounds. I think I need to have smaller meals in the evening and at least that way I'll be hungry for breakfast as I always eat it but only because I know I should

You don't need to eat breakfast if you don't want to.

• ros2will3run
    ros2will3run Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am struggling with losing weight and can exercise!! Gosh, lost two pounds, and it kinda felt like losing 1 stone when I was younger!! The effort!
    Well, it might be a doddle for some, a struggle for others!
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »

You don't need to eat breakfast if you don't want to.

This is very true.

I used to get sick if i ate breakfast. I no longer do, but i still prefer to save a ton of calories for evening and night because that's when i get bored and that's when i like to eat. That might help you...save your calories for when you're most bored (if there is a pattern).
  • Lee6594
    Options
    Why do you need 5 lbs by May? Also, all you need to lose weight is a Codie deficit, and if you're less active than normal, you'll require less calories.

That's precisely the issue. I used to workout or run 5 days a week so I could eat more and now I can barely eat anything. Also May is my birthday and if I don't eat breakfast I get really grumpy haha
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options

That's precisely the issue. I used to workout or run 5 days a week so I could eat more and now I can barely eat anything. Also May is my birthday and if I don't eat breakfast I get really grumpy haha

At any rate, I think ya can, Even set at .5 per week! Lotsa veggies and protein, of course. Sounds like you're a "volume" eater like me, lol
  • Lee6594
    Options
    So I have had ankle surgery and am officially a vegetable. I am trying to have a big breakfast a medium lunch and a small dinner in the hope that I stay full and avoid eating cause I'm bored. The last two days I need to admit, I have eaten crap. Like an apple yesterday was the most healthiest thing I've eaten :/ but as I can move a little more now I am going to cook a bit more and eat nicer meats especially while I'm at home x
  • NiqueKristan
    NiqueKristan Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Swim and eat 1500-1700 calories