why are 1200 cal diets criticised on here?

Options

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    For quite a number of people, 1200 calories is not enough to get adequate nutrition.

The vast majority of people who need to lose weight can get all necessary nutrition from 1200 calories. It requires paying attention to what is being eaten, but it's really not that hard.

Adherence can be tricky when down that low, but that's not a medical reason, that's a mind-set reason.

It's a pretty arbitrary number. And like every arbitrary choice on the internet, people will take sides for or against because...well...Because Internet. :smiley:
  • Sophsmother
    Sophsmother Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I get all my nutrients on 1200 calories a day and have no problem sticking to it. I think people who eat more calories feel their way is better for some reason. I have yet to understand why. You can get all your nutrients from an even lower calorie total if you eat the right stuff. Bariatric patients do it all the time. I feel sorry for people who have to eat more to get in their nutrients. That must be very frustrating.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I couldn't hit my macros on 1200. But that could have been because I custom set them too high... :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
  • stephdeeday
    stephdeeday Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    For some people it's just not an appropriate calorie goal. A lot of people go super hard at first, burn out and then give up. Why risk the chance of having to start all over again? I started at 330 pounds so I could do a lower calorie goal and have it be relatively safe, but I wouldn't last longer than a couple months. I want to be able to sustain it for the long haul.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I get all my nutrients on 1200 calories a day and have no problem sticking to it. I think people who eat more calories feel their way is better for some reason. I have yet to understand why. You can get all your nutrients from an even lower calorie total if you eat the right stuff. Bariatric patients do it all the time. I feel sorry for people who have to eat more to get in their nutrients. That must be very frustrating.
    yes, it's really frustrating eating more than 2000 calories of delicious fruits, vegetables, meats, pasta, dairy, and things like chocolate, muffins, cookies, banana bread, candy...... so hard. so very, very hard.

also very hard eating a calorie goal that is ideal and adequate for my personal activity levels and weight/body composition that ensures optimal mood and gym performance. So very difficult.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Just picking a random body and playing with approximate numbers....200 pound male needing to lose 40 pounds...

LBM -> 140 pounds @ 0.9 g/#LBM -> 125g protein -> 500 calories for protein
    A common fat guidline is 0.35 g/#LBM -> 49g fat -> 441 calories for fat

This leaves 250 calories for carbs -> 60g -> typically enough to stay out of ketosis.

Eat exercise calories back as primarily carbs and you're golden.

NOTE: I am NOT advocating that a 200 pound male eat 1200 calories. Just pointing out such a limit does not prevent nutritional needs from being met, if someone is prepared to be extremely diligent with their food intake. There are good reasons to NOT go down this low, but inability to meet nutritional requirements is not one of them.
  • ckwebgrrl
    ckwebgrrl Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hmm, interesting thread. I'm 5'10 and doing 1200 based on being sedentary and wanting to lose 2 lbs a week. I was eating back my exercise calories until my nutritionist (not affiliated with MFP) advised that i stick with the straight 1200. I did find the cushion of the exercise calories helped on days when I was feeling hungrier. I will see how it goes over the next couple weeks sticking with 1200 for the next couple of weeks. Even on 1200 calories, I feel like I'm getting a balanced and complete diet, but sometimes it doesn't seem like "enough".
  • ana3067
    Options
    ckwebgrrl wrote: »
    Hmm, interesting thread. I'm 5'10 and doing 1200 based on being sedentary and wanting to lose 2 lbs a week. I was eating back my exercise calories until my nutritionist (not affiliated with MFP) advised that i stick with the straight 1200. I did find the cushion of the exercise calories helped on days when I was feeling hungrier. I will see how it goes over the next couple weeks sticking with 1200 for the next couple of weeks. Even on 1200 calories, I feel like I'm getting a balanced and complete diet, but sometimes it doesn't seem like "enough".

You should be eating them because that's how the MFP neat method works. You essentially net less than 1200 on days you do workout by not eating the calories back. Feelng like it's not enough or being hungrier some days should be a good indication that you should eat more, which would be provided by the exercise calories.
  • mudmonkeyonwheels
    mudmonkeyonwheels Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Just picking a random body and playing with approximate numbers....200 pound male needing to lose 40 pounds...

LBM -> 140 pounds @ 0.9 g/#LBM -> 125g protein -> 500 calories for protein
    A common fat guidline is 0.35 g/#LBM -> 49g fat -> 441 calories for fat

This leaves 250 calories for carbs -> 60g -> typically enough to stay out of ketosis.

Eat exercise calories back as primarily carbs and you're golden.

NOTE: I am NOT advocating that a 200 pound male eat 1200 calories. Just pointing out such a limit does not prevent nutritional needs from being met, if someone is prepared to be extremely diligent with their food intake. There are good reasons to NOT go down this low, but inability to meet nutritional requirements is not one of them.

So you can meet your macros easily enough but what about micro nutrients? As I said above, those who are very careful to track vitamin and mineral content can do fine on 1200. And yes, 1200 is an arbitrary number but it is true that those with lower calorie intakes have to work a lot harder to meet all of the micro nutrient RDI's within that limit.

And to those talking about bariatric patients- many of them are asked to take supplements and/or have their vitamin and mineral intake monitored by a dietitian.
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    In the beginning, I was losing and was satisfied on 1,200 calories or less a day. I took care that I was getting adequate nutrition and I ate more when my body told me I needed more. Now that I'm within 3 lbs of my goal (I've lost 32 pounds in about 6 months), I'm ravenous at times, so it hasn't happened in awhile. My TDEE without exercise is about 1,500 calories, so I try to stick to around that number. I still don't eat back my exercise and I won't until I'm 'there'.

I really don't understand the aversion to LCDs, as long as the dieter is getting proper nutrition. I think that many people are adverse to them, because there is the danger of not being adequately nourished. I'm not criticizing anyone for wanting to eat as much as they can while losing weight. Who am I to judge what makes someone else happy, just because I'm happier with what I chose? I think the world would be a much happier place if it weren't for people who were convinced that their way is the only right way.
  • cavia
    cavia Posts: 457 Member
    Options

It's frustrating deciding how to use'em all up everyday. I have to incorporate pesky foods like ice cream and chocolate. Not to mention all that chewing. So.much.chewing.

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I don't see an aversion to 1200 calorie diets on MFP. I do see an aversion to under 1200 calorie diets. Why? Health, sustainability, keeping ones hair...
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options

What? Anyway, I hit my macros in 1200 calories. I just like to continue eating delicious things after that and I don't feel sorry for myself. Thanks though.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

As someone who eats 1,200 (plus exercise calories) I can't understand what you think would be frustrating about eating more and still losing weight.

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    The reason people comment on 1200 is because most people can eat more without realizing it. People that have a few pounds to lose don't need aggressive goals, and people around here (myself included) advise upping your intake so you'll feel more satiated - and be more inclined to stick with it and be successful.

I don't think there's excessive criticism for a1200 calorie intake. I think there is a lot of ignorance about the necessity of a 1200 calorie intake.
  • ana3067
    Options
    cavia wrote: »

It's frustrating deciding how to use'em all up everyday. I have to incorporate pesky foods like ice cream and chocolate. Not to mention all that chewing. So.much.chewing.

a6c6d0a5eef63db956f172fad7472500068f761456da869030162ed61b776839.jpg
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    00mid wrote: »
    I, including many others have lost on that number of calories.

On reason of than the nutrition argument is the majority come back 6 months or more later asking why they put all their weight back on, basically because they were eating unsustainable amount and as soon as they hit their goal and ate normally their weight reappeared.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    People assume that everybody has a normal metabolism. Of course, many of us do not.

I am very tall, very active and I did just fine on moderate carbs and 1200 calories/day for several years. Right now I am experimenting with higher fat and 1300-1400 calories, but I can certainly get decent nutrition and feel energetic on 1200 calories/day.

The minimum recommendation is actually 1000 for women, 1200 for men.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    The 1200 target number was created as a shortcut to represent the minimal calories the general person should eat based on BMR. But, for an overwhelming number of adults, 1200 is actually below their BMR so if they adhere to 1200 calories, they are not supplying their bodies with enough fuel to do its basic daily functions. Nobody should be eating under their BMR or they will do damage to their metabolism and force their body to break down muscle to survive.
  • aaliceinw
    aaliceinw Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1200 because I am completely sedentary after fracturing my ankle. I'm still losing but I am much happier on a 1400 with exercise.

I was a couch potato when I started, with really bad eating habits. Learning how to eat better whilst exercising makes me feel much better about myself and I have more energy. So I think the psychological factor also plays a role.