I don't exercise enough to loose weight... leaning on better food choices moving forward.

Options
Find myself here tonight feeling somewhat defeated. Been a member of a gym for a year and a half where I work out for an hour 2X - 3X a week. Obviously it isn't "enough" therefore with this renewed effort I hope to give food more credit for my weight loss. Off to scour the internet for fabulous recipes :wink:

Friend me if you're so inclined! We can cheer one another on!! :smiley:

Replies

• Lucyk00
    Lucyk00 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    What you put into your body is very important! It doesn't matter how much you are working out if you are still over eating or eating crap.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Lucyk00 wrote: »
    What you put into your body is very important! It doesn't matter how much you are working out if you are still over eating

Edited that for you.

OP, this app will help you be in a calorie deficit. Read the stickies, weigh your food on a scale, exercise for health if you want.
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Its important to fuel your body with good food. For most people (unless you have a health condition) its simply a matter of calories in and calories out. Hopefully in your time at the gym you've used your surplus calories to build some muscle which will enable you to eat more as you'll burn more calories than someone with little muscle mass so I'm sure its not all bad :) When I was doing circuit training and lifting I could eat 1700-1800 and lose. After being away from exercise for nearly a year I have to scrape by on 1300-1400 calories a day until I pick up the exercising again. I find checking out other peoples food diaries often gives me an idea of good things to eat.
  • soundtrack
    soundtrack Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I really like your food diaries idea. Sometimes I ponder "What DO skinny people eat??" Thanks for the advice. I'm going to ponder what type of exercise next.. but for now reign in the food choices.
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    It isn't just just going to the gym. It is also about daily activity. Walking instead of driving, shopping cleaning, standing instead of sitting, cooking, dancing.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    soundtrack wrote: »
    I really like your food diaries idea. Sometimes I ponder "What DO skinny people eat??" Thanks for the advice. I'm going to ponder what type of exercise next.. but for now reign in the food choices.

In my opinion, they eat whatever they want, they just eat small portions and can control when to stop. Skinny people don't eat "clean" nor are they sugar, dairy, carb free...most just know the correct portion size. I am not saying don't choose what you eat wisely, it is just not they key to losing weight. I got fat off of healthy food. Not until I really watched my calories did I lose.

• riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    All good stuff above. Sounds like you already figured out that you can't out exercise a bad diet.
    I would argue that one hour a session, 3 x week is 'enough' but I do not know exactly what you do there. Do you have fitness goals, trying to reshape, build muscle? Or just trying to lose weight?

• soundtrack
    soundtrack Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    All good stuff above. Sounds like you already figured out that you can't out exercise a bad diet.
    I would argue that one hour a session, 3 x week is 'enough' but I do not know exactly what you do there. Do you have fitness goals, trying to reshape, build muscle? Or just trying to lose weight?

I have been going to Koko Fit Club 3X week. If you're unfamiliar w/Koko- we do 15 mins of cardio on an elliptical or treadmill. Using an MP3 player we listen to specific directions to get robust cardio effort - think Tabata. From there 30 mins on a BowFlex lifting weights. Been doing this since August 2013 but I'm out eating the exercise... Dropping the Koko Fit Club membership at the end of the month.

I'm considering finding a treadmill schedule as I have one at home. Do 30 minutes every other day. Also, have resistance bands here at home. So many options w/Daily Burn on TV or elsewhere I'm bound to find something interesting, right?!