Making up for being sedentary

Options
fishshark
fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
I went from working 10 hours a day as a chef burning probably close to 1000 calories a day just working to literally being sedentary all day everyday. I will go to the gym but other then that I am sitting on the couch doing school online and house work. (i stay pretty on top of it so it really not exerting that much energy) I am wondering if there is something I can do to be just as active as I was when I was working. Since I stopped working I've gained 20lbs. If i do things like walk the dog everyday or go for a bike ride to I log that has exorcize or activity? Its hard going from super active to not at all active but I don't have to work anymore so I am thankful in that sense.

Replies

• taylorizal
    taylorizal Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I am the same way right now. When possible, I ride my bike if I have errands to run. I live in a very small town, where the longest I would have to ride my bike for an errand is less than a mile. If you live in a bigger town where this isn't feasible, just get out of the house and walk or run. Just find some active hobby that you love that you can put a lot of energy into.

As far as your logging questions, as long as you have your activity level as sedentary, then you could log your activities as exercise. If you have lightly active or active, do not log those in as exercises.

Hope I helped!
  • fishshark
    Options
    I am the same way right now. When possible, I ride my bike if I have errands to run. I live in a very small town, where the longest I would have to ride my bike for an errand is less than a mile. If you live in a bigger town where this isn't feasible, just get out of the house and walk or run. Just find some active hobby that you love that you can put a lot of energy into.

As far as your logging questions, as long as you have your activity level as sedentary, then you could log your activities as exercise. If you have lightly active or active, do not log those in as exercises.

Hope I helped!

thank you that helped so much! I live in San Diego but The city is actually really easy to ride my bike around! My activity is set as sedentary so i have been logging pretty much any activity I do as exorcize.
  • nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    If I were you I'd be at mission beach depending where you live, but in any event if you must stay close to home to do work it might not be a bad idea to invest in a workout dvd (p90x, insanity).
  • yhealthy2000
    yhealthy2000 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Best will be to have a routine!!! Definitely!! Schedule your day for your activities and rest periods. Then follow it. Make a weekly schedule every week. Even if it is the same activity everyday, still write it. When done with that activity, cross it off on your schedule. You will see that you accomplished something, and this WILL motivate you!!! Just do it!! No excuses!!
  • fishshark
    Options
    nickatine wrote: »
    If I were you I'd be at mission beach depending where you live, but in any event if you must stay close to home to do work it might not be a bad idea to invest in a workout dvd (p90x, insanity).

I do go there often but I end up day drinking and eating haha. Its for sure an amazing place to live.... unfortunately its about to be tourist season so mission is a tough one to go to.
  • fishshark
    Options
    Best will be to have a routine!!! Definitely!! Schedule your day for your activities and rest periods. Then follow it. Make a weekly schedule every week. Even if it is the same activity everyday, still write it. When done with that activity, cross it off on your schedule. You will see that you accomplished something, and this WILL motivate you!!! Just do it!! No excuses!!

good idea Ive been trying to get out ride my bike, walk the dogs, go paddle boarding.. I just don't know if that would fall under daily activity to up my TDEE or if that is just counted as exorcize.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Volunteer somewhere.
  • fishshark
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Volunteer somewhere.

funny you mentioned that I just got approved to work with a wildlife organization out here! just waiting for orientation
  • DeeTee68
    DeeTee68 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

good idea Ive been trying to get out ride my bike, walk the dogs, go paddle boarding.. I just don't know if that would fall under daily activity to up my TDEE or if that is just counted as exorcize. [/quote]

Don't just walk the dogs, Power Walk the dogs or jog the dogs . That's what I did and I can burn 600 calories on a dog walk/jog/run it has made a hell of a difference to me and the dog.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Set an alarm and get up every 45 minutes and do something. It can be a five minute walk outside, 10 burpees, 5 pull ups, anything. And when you’re on the phone or reading a book, make a point of standing up and walking around some. You can also consider investing in an adjustable desk so you’re not sitting all of your study time.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Volunteer somewhere.
    Best advice as well as making it something which involves activity. keeps your mind active, get you out of the house, accomplish things as well as the exercise.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    fishshark wrote: »
    Volunteer somewhere.

funny you mentioned that I just got approved to work with a wildlife organization out here! just waiting for orientation

Oh awesome. I was just thinking it sounds like you may have some time on your hands now, and it would be a great way to help someone out while upping your activity level. That's what I would do if I had the time.
  • fishshark
    Options
    Set an alarm and get up every 45 minutes and do something. It can be a five minute walk outside, 10 burpees, 5 pull ups, anything. And when you’re on the phone or reading a book, make a point of standing up and walking around some. You can also consider investing in an adjustable desk so you’re not sitting all of your study time.

i read somewhere about like every time a commercial comes on to get up and jog in place or do some activity so im gonna start doing that when i watch tv! good point on the desk I have considered doing school on the kitchen counter just to stand instead of sit
  • fishshark
    Options
    DeeTee68 wrote: »

good idea Ive been trying to get out ride my bike, walk the dogs, go paddle boarding.. I just don't know if that would fall under daily activity to up my TDEE or if that is just counted as exorcize. [/quote]

Don't just walk the dogs, Power Walk the dogs or jog the dogs . That's what I did and I can burn 600 calories on a dog walk/jog/run it has made a hell of a difference to me and the dog. [/quote]

my dogs are so damn rowdy and walks have made SUCH a difference on their behavior snd even mine!
  • fishshark
    Options
    fishshark wrote: »
    Volunteer somewhere.

Oh awesome. I was just thinking it sounds like you may have some time on your hands now, and it would be a great way to help someone out while upping your activity level. That's what I would do if I had the time.

yea thats basically what it is im just bored.. i just applied to volenteer with the san diego zoo too haha clearly i love animals
  • fishshark
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    Volunteer somewhere.
    Best advice as well as making it something which involves activity. keeps your mind active, get you out of the house, accomplish things as well as the exercise.

the problem is im just bored.. going from being naturally active with work to forcing it to try and get in the same activity level is hard