No perfume please

Options
I almost had my cardio workout ruined today. I woman started using the machine next to me doused in perfume to the point I had trouble breathing. There is no need for this.

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    tomsarno wrote: »
    I almost had my cardio workout ruined today. I woman started using the machine next to me doused in perfume to the point I had trouble breathing. There is no need for this.

im with you on this one LOL that goes for anywhere, not just the gym!

my husband is SUPER sensitive to smells, so i havent worn any in 20 years LOL
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Don't have to tell me twice! I get awful headaches from most perfumes and colognes. Keep body sprays out of the gym please!
  • englishmermaid
    englishmermaid Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I'm guilty of too much perfume, but not at the gym, what a waste! You're going to shower it all off after, I hope lol
  • never2bstopped
    never2bstopped Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I'm not taking a shower after work and before the gym to wash off perfume.

If what others choose to do affects you so profoundly maybe you should get a home gym
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    If you are putting on so much perfume in the morning that it is still following you around in a cloud of fumes after work, you might want to reevaluate how much you are using 'cause chances are it's not just affecting the guy next to you on the treadmill.
  • never2bstopped
    Options
    Or the person works at the perfume counter...
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Yes. I am not sensitive to smells, but I had someone get onto a machine 3-4 machines down from me and she smelled so strongly that I got a major headache and had to stop what I was doing and move to the farthest treadmill there was (a good 10 machines away from her) and I could STILL smell it very strongly. And again, I am not at all sensitive to smells, THAT'S how strongly she had drenched herself in perfume.
  • foursirius
    foursirius Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Same thing with guys wearing axe body spray.
  • kimberlydgarcia
    kimberlydgarcia Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Do you live in Colorado ;) We have a lady at our gym that sprays a ton right before she works out. People have to leave the gym. I have to say it is very annoying.
  • tomsarno
    tomsarno Posts: 105 Member
    Options

If what others choose to do affects you so profoundly maybe you should get a home gym

If a person is so inconsiderate that they don't care that they effect others negatively maybe they should workout at home.
  • never2bstopped
    Options

If a person is so inconsiderate that they don't care that they effect others negatively maybe they should workout at home.

They aren't the one with a problem working out. Unless there are gym guidelines they are breaking you have two choices.

Suck it up.

Or

Gym somewhere else.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options

I'm sure you made her aware of it. Cause whining on the internet isn't doing you any good.
  • tomsarno
    tomsarno Posts: 105 Member
    Options

They aren't the one with a problem working out. Unless there are gym guidelines they are breaking you have two choices.

Suck it up.

Or

Gym somewhere else.

There are no guide lines about standing next to someone and farting, but I would never do that. If I did that and someone felt that I was making their gym experience uncomfortable I would be the dick if I said suck it up or work out at home. I believe in co-existing with the people around me so we can all enjoy life. You seem to be the type of person who worries about yourself and what you want to do, and everyone else will have to adapt.

And no, I did not say anything because I did not want to embarrass her. I did not start this post to whine, I just thought it might make anyone who uses perfume or body spray aware that it might be effecting others.

Well, I am off to the gym where I plan on coughing and sneezing without covering my mouth along with farting and burping while next to people. There are no posted rules so I can do this. Hopefully everyone can't just 'suck it up' and start working out at home. Then I will have the place to myself
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    It makes me sick too. I rarely come across it at the gym, but in my place of work sometimes people enter the studio smelling so strong I have to open windows.
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    foursirius wrote: »
    Same thing with guys wearing axe body spray.
    af8633cc6d512f425825189fab1c03d0.jpg[img][/img]
  • stephdeeday
    stephdeeday Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    It actually is a guideline at my gym - I mean, there are signs, obviously it can't really be enforced that strictly.

I don't wear perfume often but when I go to the gym straight from work I'm sure I reek of coffee.
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I get physically sick when I have to ride on the bus/metro next to someone who has been way too liberal with her/his perfume. I wish people would understand that perfume is meant to be worn close to the body, and certainly never in a gym :(
  • mudmonkeyonwheels
    mudmonkeyonwheels Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Haha had this at the swimming pool once. Was swimming and suddenly everything started to taste and smell like perfume. Nearly impossible to focus on breathing when you a choking on that. My training partner and myself both had to stop and I noticed a few other people get out to.

While I get that it is a public space, a little courtesy goes a long way. Maybe if you wear a lot of perfume use a body wipe or have a quick rinse before hopping in your exercise gear.
  • ForeverCharlie
    ForeverCharlie Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear that. Hope you never have to go through that again!