"French women don't get fat" following the book.

I've been reading this book for a short time now and I'm feeling really good about the idea of eating for pleasure. I've tried eating clean and restrictive but I haven't made any weight changes because I just lost so many foods! Has anyone else read the book or followed the tips? Or in fact want to try it with me?

Replies

• fearlessleader104
    fearlessleader104 Posts: 723 Member
    Eat less and move more. There is no magic involved.
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,818 Member

I have tried many things, but this is the only thing that has worked for me.
  • Alright guys, thanks for your great, motivational tips :\
    I was referring to eating more enjoyable foods rather than plain chicken and steamed vegetables and protein shakes. And getting my exercise done in more enjoyable, stimulating ways rather than pounding a treadmill for an hour.
    Besides, I wasn't asking for advice. I was asking for companions and experiences

• LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,045 Member
    Hi Holly,

yes I read and enjoyed the book very much. it seemed to me that the French women ( in the book) do not drive everywhere as we here in the U.S. are prone to do. It also seemed to suggest that eating with others and talking a lot takes the place of second and third helpings ---- also the desserts seem to be an important part of meals but often dessert is fresh fruit , here we know dessert is usually huge with many calories. Portion sizes, of course, are smaller in Paris.

after reading the book, further research divulged that French women who spent a lot of time in the United States usually picked up our bad habits including eating processed foods, fast foods, chips etc--- here on this forum, ppl will give advice that isn't helpful but you'll also eventually find very nice MFPers who are kind and reasonable
  • Thank you! Its nice to see someone understood my post! :smile:
    It is a really interesting book and even though I'm only a little way in it is already apparent that the French eating styles are something similar to my own (only I'm less disciplined haha) but are easy, manageable changes I could make!
    Did you try the leek soup thing?
    I actually paid for a meal and excersise plan that had me eating the oddest concoctions that left me unsatisfied especially after completing 100 squat/ burpee challenges :neutral_face:
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Alright guys, thanks for your great, motivational tips :\
    I was referring to eating more enjoyable foods rather than plain chicken and steamed vegetables and protein shakes. And getting my exercise done in more enjoyable, stimulating ways rather than pounding a treadmill for an hour.
    Besides, I wasn't asking for advice. I was asking for companions and experiences

Good luck with it, but the fundamentals will boil down to the same or the fact you will lose weight will be the same i.e calorific deficit by eating less and moving more.

Just looked at an overview and can see lots of provisos and weaknesses. Its just calorie control in another format.

Theres an article in the Guardian, which you might like to read

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2004/nov/07/foodanddrink.features11
    French people, it seems, naturally exercise strict portion control. In their study of why the French remain so much slimmer than Americans, the researchers from the University of Pennsylvania came to the remarkable conclusion that it was because the French ate less. 'Based on observation in Paris and Philadelphia,' they wrote, 'we document that the French portion sizes are smaller in comparable restaurants, in the sizes of individual portions in supermarkets, individual portions specified in cookbooks, and in the prominence of "all-you-can-eat" restaurants in dining guides.'

There are also forums on the official website.
    http://frenchwomendontgetfat.com/forum/73
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,451 Member
    edited March 2015
    I read the book and enjoyed it, but I've read more than one book about French eating and I get them mixed up! It did have some good advice - when I've been to France, it seems like I'm surrounded by gorgeous high calorie food, delicious fresh bread and pastries, cheese, etc., and it's difficult to imagine how French people avoid it! I did take some tips from the book although I can't remember what now. I don't really like to spend a lot of time shopping or preparing food, so some of it didn't really gel with me. (I do cook fresh meals every evening - I just have a repertoire of quick, easy recipes!). But I experimented with a couple of recipe suggestions. There was some good advice about savouring and "experiencing" food - I do love my food!

I think the 50% is good - trying to eat half of what you would previously have eaten. When I have a banana, I usually eat half (or less), without thinking about it. Portion control is easier than calorie counting in some ways. I also (usually) stick to three meals a day - no snacks. That seems to be working for me (I'm losing weight). I found the wine was a danger area for me though (it made me want to eat!) so it's just an occasional treat now.
  • MonsoonStorm
    MonsoonStorm Posts: 371 Member
    The book basically boils down to the same "eat less move more" philosophy as what was said above from memory (I read it years ago). Don't deprive yourself of things you enjoy, but eat in moderation (i.e. yes, have that croissant, just don't have 7!).

That and the general lifestyle differences, more walking, less driving and sitting around, being more 'mindful' (I hate that phrase...) of your eating etc. If you are going to have a croissant, sit down, relax, savour it, enjoy it. Don't just shovel it into your mouth whilst reading your morning emails and getting dressed. Make time in your day to have actual mealtimes rather than eating on the run.
  • MonsoonStorm
    MonsoonStorm Posts: 371 Member
    999tigger wrote: »
    Alright guys, thanks for your great, motivational tips :\

Good luck with it, but the fundamentals will boil down to the same or the fact you will lose weight will be the same i.e calorific deficit by eating less and moving more.

Just looked at an overview and can see lots of provisos and weaknesses. Its just calorie control in another format.

Theres an article in the Guardian, which you might like to read

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2004/nov/07/foodanddrink.features11
    French people, it seems, naturally exercise strict portion control. In their study of why the French remain so much slimmer than Americans, the researchers from the University of Pennsylvania came to the remarkable conclusion that it was because the French ate less. 'Based on observation in Paris and Philadelphia,' they wrote, 'we document that the French portion sizes are smaller in comparable restaurants, in the sizes of individual portions in supermarkets, individual portions specified in cookbooks, and in the prominence of "all-you-can-eat" restaurants in dining guides.'

There are also forums on the official website.
    http://frenchwomendontgetfat.com/forum/73

I have to admit, when I went to America I was absolutely astounded by the size of the plates put in front of me at restaurants. It seems to be a ridiculous amount of food. Unfortunately it seems that the UK is slowly heading in that direction too.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    What everyone is saying is true, it IS all about calories, but what many are not addressing is that these same calories can be either enjoyable or not - which can make or break a diet.

I have not read the book, but I always try to make sure that every single thing I eat I enjoy. I look up new recipes, eat things I already like, add some chocolate or a cookie every now and then, and never force myself to gulp down anything I'm not particularly fond of. I hate chicken and fish in most preparations for example and go to great lengths to make them taste amazing rather than choking on them.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,388 Member
    I don't know the book, but from what I read here this is not so different than how I normally eat. Actually, I get the horrors every time I have a business trip to North America because I find it so difficult to find fresh simple bread without sugar or masses of additives, and restaurant food that consists of few fresh ingredients in small portions (yes I know why I gained weight in the first place). At least last time in Calgary I found a lovely Vietnamese restaurant which cooked what I was hoping for.
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    From what I can gather on the French diet, they usually have a pastry for breakfast. Although cereal and oats are becoming more popular. They then have a really big lunch with a starter, main course and either a dessert or cheese after. Children are offered a small snack when they return from school. And dinner is between 20:00-21:00 which isn't as big as lunch. But sometimes if people have guests over there's some sort of appetiser offered before dinner. That's my understanding at least. I also read that those lunches are becoming a bit less of a tradition in an increasingly busy lifestyle.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,451 Member
    I agree, obviously the book involves cutting calories - that's how diets work. Like many diets that don't involve calorie counting, it's about a way to modify your eating so that eat less overall. I've tried calorie counting and it works. Currently I'm just modifying my eating, and it works just as well - but is easier to do, and I think I eat slightly better that way. I don't think it's so much a matter of which method is better, but which method works best for the individual.
  • Mayartica
    Mayartica Posts: 2 Member
    Haaa I am French and I am here with over 50lbs to lose sooo... lol
    I agree with you there more than steamed chicken and broccoli in life but I think it is all about finding the right balance (which I have not yet)
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Maybe its because we are talking about the book.

I have no problem with people eating better and by default eating less calories. I just get a bit cynical when its dressed up with a lot of hokum as part of the many diets out here.

France has a growing obesity problem although its nowhere near the size it is in the USA and UK.

Obviously you dont have to exercise, but doing something you enjoy makes sense and if you want to get in great shape rather than just be slim, then you do need to go to the gym. Its no different to whats repeated on MFP every day.
  • Tamois
    Tamois Posts: 64 Member
    My Mum lives in France (I'm in England) and they do tend to eat fruit or pastry for breakfast, a 3 course lunch and then something very light in the evening. Lunchtime calories are expended during the afternoon rather than slept on, as a big meal in the evening would be. Also she, and many of her friends, practice the 5:2 way of life. So 2 days a week they eat 500 calories so on the non-diet days they can then eat the pastries and 3 course meals "guilt free" so to speak.
  • Breester1
    Breester1 Posts: 4 Member
    Hi, Hollybeam94. I'm re-reading the book now. I like her attitude towards food; makes weight loss/control sound like fun. The "Soupe aux legumes de Maman" (on p. 130) looks good; i'm going to make it this week. Let me know how you go.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Actually French women do get fat

Parisiennes meanwhile ...

and the women I know are intensely focused on fitting the right clothes as they find the fashionista after them when they don't ... very aware of their food consumption

so it does actually boil down to eat less, move more

- but you don't have to eat chicken and vegetables, you can calorie count delicious foods, just make sure you're counting the calories and it works to your defecit

Not french (British) .. and I frequently (like daily) eat well-cooked tasty food and even ice cream, crisps, chocolate
  • Sued0nim
    I haven't had steamed or grilled chicken once

But I've had chicken cacciatore, chicken burgers and chicken fajitas

• Sued0nim
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2007/07/low-fat-chicken-recipes.html

here you go re chicken

plus google recipes and amend them

then make it work in your overall calories