Can't Stay Consistent, I Feel Like Food Controls Me

Options
I'm having a real hard time motivating myself and staying consistent. I'll be doing great for a week or two and then 1 cheat meal will trigger bad eating and no exercise for the next 1 or 2 weeks. Sometimes all I think about is what meal I'm having next. I lost almost 30 pounds a little over a year ago and I've gained it back, plus more. I'm so disappointed in myself, my weight loss has been a horrible cycle of losing and gaining and it makes me want to give up. I want to be 150 by my birthday in August (currently 191), but I'm not on track and I don't know if that'll happen now. I want to reach my goal so bad.

Replies

• dragon_sla
    dragon_sla Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Your human! We all go through bad days. Don't let it get you down or you will not win. Stay focused and positive. Again it is hard. Stay focused on your goal. Once thing I do is have one cheat day a week. Eat what I want in moderation. This helps keep the cravings at bay for me. After a while it will become second nature. If I can do it know you can too. If you do have a bad day remember tomorrow is a new day.
  • lawnis04
    lawnis04 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    The thing about temporary dieting is it typically ends in the weight being regained because as soon as you reach your goal, you go back to your old eating habits, which brings you back up. This is why people always say you have to make it a "lifestyle change". Because you do. So start slowly. Begin to readjust portion sizes and swapping out some of you less ideal snacks for more ideal ones. But don't make things off limits.

It's like a defiant child. As soon as you tell them "no" it makes them want to do it 10X more. In the same way, if you ban certain things (especially if you ban whole groups ie. carbs, etc.) then when you start to crave them, instead of being able to find a way to work them into your day's meals and snacks, you often end up eating other things that don't satisfy that craving, and by the time you've tried multiple things, you've eaten more than you would have had you just eaten the banned food. And then sometimes you end up eating the banned food anyway! Or you fixate on it and think about that food for days until it either goes away or, in most cases, you give in.

So when you get a craving for something, take a minute to think about whether it's a real craving, or a "this crossed my mind and now I kind of want it" (this happens to me with pizza or kraft dinner all the time). If it's a "kind of want" you should be able to ignore it. If it's a legitimate craving, I usually try to wait 10-15 minutes. Sometimes the craving will leave, but sometimes it won't. If it doesn't, work it into your day!

If all you can think about is what meal you're having next, you're not eating enough. A lack of appropriate nutrition causes a fixation on food. The term "cheat meal" makes food sound like a win or lose situation. So when you "cheat", you feel guilty and lose motivation. So don't think of it as cheating. Realize that it's simply another meal.
  • KaraDuBois
    Options
    Lawnis04
    That was all such good & helpful advice!
  • pineapple_peach10
    pineapple_peach10 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I really agree with all the above posters. Just get back on plan right after your cheat day or meal.

Your goal for your bday is totally attainable. Just stick with it and you will get there!
  • bhealthy1516
    bhealthy1516 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'm having a real hard time motivating myself and staying consistent. I'll be doing great for a week or two and then 1 cheat meal will trigger bad eating and no exercise for the next 1 or 2 weeks. Sometimes all I think about is what meal I'm having next. I lost almost 30 pounds a little over a year ago and I've gained it back, plus more. I'm so disappointed in myself, my weight loss has been a horrible cycle of losing and gaining and it makes me want to give up. I want to be 150 by my birthday in August (currently 191), but I'm not on track and I don't know if that'll happen now. I want to reach my goal so bad.

I know how you feel, I don't have words of support cuz I'm in the same problem. couple months ago I was on for 3 weeks and I was off for 6 weeks. and now I was just on for 3 days and I blow it on Saturday and Sunday. I pray for the strength to go back on today. good luck to you and to me.