Hunter-gatherers vs Westerners

Options

Replies

• VegesaurusRex
    VegesaurusRex Posts: 1,018
    Options
    The Vegesource article contains a comment by T. Colin Campbell to Ms Minger. I think that is highly relevant, don't you? Especially since Ms Minger censored responses on her own blog that she didn't like or agree with.
    she said a spam filter removed it, and made sure it was re posted, I guess you just forgot to mention that part.

Yeah, after she was outed

And why on earth would I want to drop myself off in the middle of nowhere and try to survive.
    because it illustrates your "lifestyle' is flawed, how can anyone that has to rely on supplements and food sources trucked from around the world to survive claim their diet is optimal?

My lifestyle is flawed ! Oh, how tragic for me! I am 69 years old, work out every day, have a black belt in Shaolin Kempo Karate, have gone on 40 + mile bike trips this summer, work every day, and I haven't eaten meat since 1979. I am in very good health. In fact, I don't know anyone my age who is in as good shape as me. How old are you?

Wanna arm wrestle?
    We have a civilzation where the problems you are worrrying about have been sovled thousands of years ago.
    what problems would that be, heart disease, diabetes, arthritis?

I agree. Those are problems for meat eaters.

Why would I not want to eat a diet that is right for THIS CIVILIZATION.
    obviously you know nothing about how long it takes for the human body to adapt.

To adapt to what? A totally insane diet?

As I said previously, you are free to go out and eat bugs and worms, and slugs, and whatever you can catch
    as I said before we don't do this.
    (Bytheway I assume that if you were planning to be dropped in the middle of nowhere you would bring a rifle with you. Now that is a really good paleolithic tool!)
    wrong assumption, really makes you look foolish when you make assumptions. Typical veggie.

Wow! Knowing what you would and wouldn't do means you actually thought about it. Okay, so tell me how would you survive. No wait -don't tell me. We're back to eating worms and bugs aren't we?
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options

Sure, right. And how many hours do I have to waste trying to prove a negative. Forget it. If you can't prove you know what you are talking about, I will simply form a logical opinion about what you believe.

You come on here, to a thread that had NOTHING to do with the paleo diet and start with your veggie propaganda, and your strawmen. I understand you veggies like to think you're superior to us meat eaters, but please keep it on your little veggie sites and leave the rest of us that live in the real world alone. I like to eat prey animals, I even like to go out and kill them myself. So while you're out there killing a poor defenseless cabbage, I'm killing a big fat juicy deer, big deal.
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    but I am sure these people have significant differences in genome from the wider population.

You are sure? Well scientific man, where is you scientific study to back that up? LOL

This actually makes sense. That tribe probably only reproduce, so to speak, with their own tribe. That may not ALWAYS be the case, but I would bet they keep within their tribe.
  • freerange
    Options

Wow! Knowing what you would and wouldn't do means you actually thought about it. Okay, so tell me how would you survive. No wait -don't tell me. We're back to eating worms and bugs aren't we?

Dang you ever get tired of being wrong, didn't your mommy ever tell you about making assumptions? I wouldn't take a rifle because I hunt with a bow, gee it's really just that simple, I don't live in the mountains with cantina wire surrounding my fort, and a stock pile of weapons and freeze dried food.
  • freerange
    Options
    but I am sure these people have significant differences in genome from the wider population.

You are sure? Well scientific man, where is you scientific study to back that up? LOL

This actually makes sense. That tribe probably only reproduce, so to speak, with their own tribe. That may not ALWAYS be the case, but I would bet they keep within their tribe.

True but it doesn't mean they are genetically different than us.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    You guys are hilarious. I'm enjoying the long stream of hot air you're all blowing at each other.

Why is it so funny? Because who seriously gives a crap about what someone else thinks, when that person will never have any impact on your life? Why are you trying to shove your ideas down the other persons throat? Really...

Too funny...
  • VegesaurusRex
    Options
    its odd that a diet encouraging meat, vegetables, fruits and tubers is considered a fad. but a diet that includes fake soy meat is not.

90% of my diet consists of veggies,. fruits and nuts. Yup, I also eat processed soy products. As far as I know vegetarianism has been around since before Jesus Christ, so I would say it is well beyond the fad stage. The Paleo diet, however, despite its name is brand new.
  • Need2bfit918
    Need2bfit918 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    back to the original subject would hunter gatherers really burn any more calories than modern day people? to be honest when i see animals in the wild they are usually standing around or laying down. they only seem to run when catching food or running for their life.
  • freerange
    Options
    its odd that a diet encouraging meat, vegetables, fruits and tubers is considered a fad. but a diet that includes fake soy meat is not.

LOL I know right?
  • Need2bfit918
    Options

90% of my diet consists of veggies,. fruits and nuts. Yup, I also eat processed soy products. As far as I know vegetarianism has been around since before Jesus Christ, so I would say it is well beyond the fad stage. The Paleo diet, however, despite its name is brand new.
    so the only big difference in our diet is i eat real meat? and i dont think a diet of meat, fruit , vegetables nuts and tubers is new. but yes the name is
  • freerange
    Options

There is NO record of a vegetarian society, ever in history.
  • VegesaurusRex
    Options

True but it doesn't mean they are genetically different than us.

The environment can determine which genes are experessed. (If interested, look up Epigenetics. ) After many years and mutations, certain phenotypes which have survivability characteristics become dominant and recessive non-valuable characteristics disappear. The Inuits and Lapplanders have a superhuman ability to eat fat and meat and not get cancer or heart disease. They are different from other populations. Additionally the Trobriand Islanders mentioned previously probably also evolved similarly.
  • VegesaurusRex
    Options

Really? Look up Pythagoreans, Essenes, Therapeutae, Naserenes, to name a few.

• freerange
    Options

Sub societies and cults do not count. I'm talking long lived, thriving societies. Nice try though, hint I look things up before I post.
  • Need2bfit918
    Options

Sub societies and cults do not count. I'm talking long lived, thriving societies. Nice try though, hint I look things up before I post.
    im not sure if there is actually proof of the essenes being vegetarians. they were extremely devout jews so im fairly certain the practiced animal sacrifices. this is likely peta propaganda.
  • VegesaurusRex
    Options

Hint, you're wrong. Read the China study (Oh Gasp!) Most cultures in China are vegetarian. And you are using the word "society" with a non-standard quite idiosyncratic meaning.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options

You aren't going to change their minds.

I have a friend who lives off the grid; no electricity, hand carries his water, and is 4 hours away from an actual town unless he takes a motor boat across a enormous lake, which he can't usually do in the dead of winter when there is a couple of feet of snow. He was vegan when he moved out there. Once he realized how difficult and fairly impossible it was to actually sustain himself on that type of diet he started to eat meat. We live in the mountains so we don't have a long growing season. He gets interns from the local University, who are getting a primitive living degree, and he teaches them how to live without civilization. Teaches them how to tan hides and such. He raises bees, he is one of my state's largest producers of organic queen honey bees, and sleeps with his hives to keep bears away. This dude is hard core. Whenever he comes to town he pigs out. He is not very big, my height of 5'6", but he eats as much as 2 people when he is here. He calorie loads whenever he can. He is in such incredible shape from the amount of hard work he does. He teases my chubby husband all the time that he should come spend 6 months out at the ranch and all of his fat will disappear.
  • VegesaurusRex
    Options

im not sure if there is actually proof of the essenes being vegetarians. they were extremely devout jews so im fairly certain the practiced animal sacrifices. this is likely peta propaganda.

Okay, I am not going to argue with someone who obviously knows nothing about the subject. I encourage you to do some reading, since there are dozens of books on the subject (Hint: Google Dead Sea Scrolls)
  • Need2bfit918
    Options
    i actually do intend on reading about it. not that i think it even matters.
  • VegesaurusRex
    Options
    i actually do intend on reading about it. not that i think it even matters.

Fine. Message me if you want some book titles on the subject.