What to cut out from your diet?

Options
What did you guys stop eating ? I cut out chocolate , crisps , ready meals , all sort of sweets!

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    extra calories that take me over my goal

I still eat chocolate, crisps and sweets and actually introduced ready meals (I like the Innocent Vegetable pots)
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Nothing
  • arilongworth
    arilongworth Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Nothing

How do you loose weight then?
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I cut out additional calories that take me over my goal of 1480... Anything under that is fair game. There is no need to cut anything...
  • arilongworth
    arilongworth Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    aimeerace wrote: »
    I cut out additional calories that take me over my goal of 1480... Anything under that is fair game. There is no need to cut anything...
    I'm just worried that staying under my goal won't work if I eat junk food?
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    extra calories that take me over my goal

I still eat chocolate, crisps and sweets and actually introduced ready meals (I like the Innocent Vegetable pots)

Snap, although I don't really eat crisps, never been a fan of them. I buy the Sainsburys My Goodness ready meals sometimes, or the M&S balanced for you ones.
  • prasadsurve
    prasadsurve Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Bread, Rice, Potatoes, Pasta, Soda, Pizza, Sweets.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I haven't cut anything out completely (except food that isn't worth the calories to me.) There are foods that I eat less often-- I rarely eat fast food or anything fried. But I eat out frequently (well, once per week or so), I have dessert every day, and I'm a baker so we usually have fresh baked goods around.

I try to focus on getting a variety of foods including a lot of protein, veggies/beans/legumes, fruit, etc. and then I use whatever calories are left to have foods I enjoy that have less nutrients.

I have lost almost 50 lbs and have kept it off for 2 1/2 years with this approach.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options

It will if you eat small amounts. Say you have a really healthy day, but then you want a treat, and you have the calories left, then say a Freddo bar won't make you go over calories and won't make you gain weight. Or weigh 40g of ice cream, or have a couple of squares of dark choc. I buy my children Walkers Squares crisps, they have 97 calories per bag.
  • Whittedo
    Whittedo Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    white potatoes, french fries, pasta and beer
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options

It will in weight terms, but not nutrition and might not leave you feeling full. that coyl break your diet.

Instead of restricting I tend to spend my calories elsewhere that give me the nutrition and satiety I need, that results in me moderating other foods such as chcocolate. I just eat less or earn calories by exercise. Restriction of itself can cause people to binge or be miserable.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

Calories are all that matter for weight loss. If all you ate every day was one mouthful of chocolate, you'd still lose weight (before you starved to death), even though what you were eating was junk food. Look up the Twinkie diet, a guy ate mostly only chocolate and sweets and lost weight because he stayed in his calories.
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I haven't cut out anything, I just make sure I can fit it into my daily calorie allowance. I find that if I actively cut things out, it only leads to me craving those foods, feeling miserable, then ultimately binging on them (or anything else to try and distract me from that particular craving).
  • JoRumbles
    JoRumbles Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Wine as an almost daily thing. I've cut it down to one night a week max at the moment as I just don't have room for a 300cal glass of wine (or likely 600 cal for 3/4 of a bottle!)

I gave up chocolate about 8 years ago as I had a binge problem with it.

Other than that, since I am on 1,200 cals a day I do mostly stick to healthy homemade food as in order to eat a decent amount 3 meals a day I can't really fit in takeaways very often. But its not a "never".
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Nothing

As long as you stay within your calorie goal, you're golden

• lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    The things I've cut had more to do initially with other health reason. I cut drinking because it lead to late night snacking, I cut back on "the whites", refined sugar, pasta, bread, because I could actually feel how they aggravated my nerve pain. Weight loss was a bi-product. After 30 lbs dropped, then I joined mfp to focus on the rest of the weight via calorie/nutrition awareness. I now will have the one slice of pizza or the one glass of wine (okay maybe two), but without the following nachos. I'm 25 lbs away from goal, and the lbs are dropping slower and with a long plateaue, but I'm aware of the "why".
    In the end, the cutting of whole groups of food isn't necessary for a move at the scale. It's a matter of your comfort level with that food and how to fit it in to an overall healthy life.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Like people are saying, you dont have to cut out particular kinds of food, just eat smaller portions of them. You can lose weight still eating food you enjoy, in fact you are more likely to be succesful at it if you do it in a sustainable way, I lost a lot of weight still eating cookies, chips (crisps) etc. I also ate a frozen meal for dinner at work all the time, I still do.
  • November_Fire
    November_Fire Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Nothing

By eating less of it.

I too haven't cut anything out, but then I never ate a lot of junk anyway. I don't do 'bad' food or 'guilty' food or 'treat' food. It's just food.
  • phill_143
    phill_143 Posts: 64 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I think the most common answer you'll get on here will be 'nothing' - as long as you are creating a calorific deficit (i.e. Burn more than you eat), then you'll lose weight.

It's a different experience for everyone, though. You might find that there are some things you simply can't eat in moderation and there will be foods that make you more/less satisfied. Becoming aware of that will help you create the required deficit.

So, while its not required to cut out 'junk' food, sometimes people will end up doing that in practice because:
    - You become more aware, via logging on mfp, of the calories it contains and decide it's not worth it
    - You decide it's something for which you can't limit yourself to just a small portion and therefore find it easier to have none at all

I think the only thing I'd add to the 'nothing to cut out' answer is to pay attention to your macros as well as calories. Personally, I find treating protein as a goal to hit for the day makes it easier to create a deficit without excessive hunger or cravings.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Overeating!