Beginner at the gym

I got a two month gym membership for my birthday and I want to utilizes it to the best potential of losing the most weight possible.

Any suggestions on a beginner work out routine or gym tips in general?

I am 5'2 177lbs and I have not have a great sweat pouring workout in a LONG time.

Replies

• RaggedyAnnazon
    RaggedyAnnazon Posts: 183 Member
    The one thing I feel comfortable recommending (my knowledge isn't as vast as others in this realm) is to make sure you start by finding all your base times and numbers. My first session when I haven't worked out in a while I'll hop on the treadmill (or whatever cardio machine you prefer) and I'll start by finding a resistance or elevation that makes me feel like I have to put in a bit of effort, and I'll see how long I can walk (up to 30 minutes usually, since I'd be restarting) until I feel a little worn out. Not a lot. Just enough I have to stop and breathe. Then I'll literally go to every machine and find my weight limit again, by starting lower than I'd expect, and adding weight until I can feel myself having to work against it. You should be able to get anywhere between 12 and 15 reps before you feel your muscles wearing out. I'll only do one set on each machine, since I'm finding my starting points. But I definitely make sure to stretch after and I'll take at least 2 days off due to the slight overworking. I notice after I do that though, I can go back in and work closer to what I use to without hurting myself. Think of it like your own self-led fitness assessment.

Also, if this membership includes the classes too, pretty much ignore that first paragraph and eat those up like candy. They're way more fun and the instructors can be very helpful. Zumba and any kind of yoga are always worth doing.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Fat loss comes from what and how much you eat. Losing weight fast isn’t healthy or sustainable. You end up losing muscle along with the fat and end up with a terrible body composition. Instead, you should look eat to a small deficit and lose fat over time (you didn’t put it on in two months, so don’t think of losing it that fast either). One to two pounds per week is a good target (maybe a little to the higher end of that range early on).

Exercise should be geared toward meeting other health and fitness goals. I advise people to lift weights to help retain muscle mass, which will help for body composition. It makes little sense to me to work out just to burn calories when you’ll eat back those calories to maintain that activity. Also, for many people, hard cardio increases appetite, making it even harder to stay on a deficit (not to mention that calories burned by an activity are often over estimated, leading to even more over-eating).

Have a trainer show you how to do some basic lifts (squat, deadlift, bench press, pull up, and overhead press). Start with low weights and work up. Strength is a much better goal than burning calories for the sake of burning calories.
  • skinnyrev2b
    skinnyrev2b Posts: 400 Member
    Exercise should be geared toward meeting other health and fitness goals. I advise people to lift weights to help retain muscle mass, which will help for body composition. It makes little sense to me to work out just to burn calories when you’ll eat back those calories to maintain that activity. Also, for many people, hard cardio increases appetite, making it even harder to stay on a deficit (not to mention that calories burned by an activity are often over estimated, leading to even more over-eating).

Whilst I don't disagree with this, and agree with much else they posted, I just want to shout out for the cardio lovers...
    Any kind of exercise is beneficial. Weights will help keep your muscles as you lose weight. Cardio (as the name suggests) will work your heart and lungs. Most peeps of here advocate a bit of both. You may prefer one over the other. That's fine. You may loathe one. That's fine too. You do you. But do try them rather than relying on someone else's opinion. You'll have much more sticking power of you love it...

And now to be more specific- does your gym not have an induction where they show you the machines/weight rokms/facilities? This is where I'd start. They often help write up a basic plan that fits your interests. If not, I'd investigate getting a PT do a program for you. Yes, it may be pricey, but better pay extra and recoop it in time spent working out, than go it alone, injure yourself and spend that 2 months recovering...

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited May 2021
    Eat in a caloric deficit of about 500 calories.

Resistance train 2-3 x per week is reasonable.

Get at least 150 minutes of moderate aerobic activity or 75 minutes of vigorous aerobic activity a week, or a combination of moderate and vigorous activity.

Finding what you enjoy will help emwnsely with adhearance. I would hope this is something that would be a lifetime of benefits.

Keep in mind "sweating" doesnt equate if you are doing enough. It us only a cooling mechanism your body utilizes. I can sweat by sitting still in the summer time drinking whiskey.