Stupid PMS.

Options
I keep craving all things carby and fatty...

Pizza, pies, peanut butter (like the whole container!), chocolate, fudge, even rusks! I absolutely hate it. I'm trying really hard to distract myself with this cup of honey flavoured red tea. :neutral_face:

What's wrong with me?! How come I'm so short that I can't fit any of the above into my calories?? Or more specifically, why the heck am I craving it NOW when the day's almost over and I've eaten 3/4's of my calories already....UGH!

Rant over.

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Aw, well you still have a quarter of your calories left! Have a treat!
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    If it makes you feel any better, a woman's BMR is about 150-300 calories higher pre menstrual. :p
  • Leana088
    Leana088 Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

I wish I could, but if I did, I would wake up in the middle of the night, STARVING!

There are 2 meals I absolutely HAVE to eat, that's breakfast, and dinner. :cry:
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I usually eat at maintenance for the worst 2 days of it, keeps me (more) sane
  • arditarose
    Options
    Leana088 wrote: »

I wish I could, but if I did, I would wake up in the middle of the night, STARVING!

How big is your deficit? You could make it a little smaller for the day. I had that problem last week (it was particularly bad because I ovulated two weeks late and my hormones were insane)...I had some very low calorie dinners and high calorie desserts haha. I would not recommend for every day life, but it worked last week.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what your overall calorie goal is but you may consider adding in an extra 200 calories or so on the couple of days when PMS is very strong. An extra 200-400 calories a month isn't going to be a terrible hit on your caloric deficit and may help you keep on track.
  • Leana088
    Options
    If it makes you feel any better, a woman's BMR is about 150-300 calories higher pre menstrual. :p

Haha for how long? A week? Because it's the week before. Ironically I'm as hungry (mentally) as an ox around this time, but when it actually hits my appetite returns to normal. Well, actually, my brain stops nagging. Because physically I'm not actually hungry.
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I have just had tom yum soup (with meat and veg a beautiful 300 cal meal) - then had a munchies fit and had a 500 cal burger!! I now only have 210 left for the whole day. On the plus side, I don't think I'll be hungry for a while!
  • 30mphmike
    30mphmike Posts: 28
    Options
    a 45 min bike ride is 2 pieces of pizza--
  • arditarose
    Options
    30mphmike wrote: »
    a 45 min bike ride is 2 pieces of pizza--

Not necessarily.
  • Leana088
    Options

How big is your deficit? You could make it a little smaller for the day. I had that problem last week (it was particularly bad because I ovulated two weeks late and my hormones were insane)...I had some very low calorie dinners and high calorie desserts haha. I would not recommend for every day life, but it worked last week.

Sadly, I'm dwarf sized. And with a calorie goal of 1500, my deficit is only 250 a day, and I achieve that through exercise.

Problem is, I have a lung condition, so I can't jog or do any exercise that requires heavy breathing. (I risk fainting if I do) So all I can do is walk. I burn 250 from walking 1.5 hours. And well, weight lifting doesn't burn that much so that ain't helping either... :neutral_face:
  • arditarose
    Options

Sadly, I'm dwarf sized. And with a calorie goal of 1500, my deficit is only 250 a day, and I achieve that through exercise.

Problem is, I have a lung condition, so I can't jog or do any exercise that requires heavy breathing. (I risk fainting if I do) So all I can do is walk. I burn 250 from walking 1.5 hours. And well, weight lifting doesn't burn that much so that ain't helping either... :neutral_face:

Gotcha I get a 250 calorie deficit at 1600, but I've been eating 1500 lately. You can look at my diary for last week, when I was having those cravings. You'll see lots of gelato, and some dinners for 300 calories that were quite filling. :)
  • Mistraal1981
    Mistraal1981 Posts: 453 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Omg I totally understand where you are coming from. Yesterday I ate FIVE creme eggs (my personal crack!) and two bars of dairy milk hazelnut bars on top of a protein smoothie and a full tray of those spinach and ricotta pasta parcels (the one with enough for two people) with a price of chicken and tomato sauce. I was still starving!! I'm also a shorty so this was probably two days worth of calories in one. :'(
  • arditarose
    Options
    Omg I totally understand where you are coming from. Yesterday I ate FIVE creme eggs and two bars of dairy milk hazelnut bars on top of a protein smoothie and a full tray of those spinach and ricotta pasta parcels (the one with enough for two people) with a price of chicken and tomato sauce. I was still starving!! I'm also a shorty so this was probably two days worth of calories in one. :'(

holy smokes
  • oriel67
    oriel67 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    have you tried having a chocolate rice cake with some peanut butter on it when you have a severe craving? That's about 100 calories if you go easy on the PB.
  • Leana088
    Options

Gotcha I get a 250 calorie deficit at 1600, but I've been eating 1500 lately. You can look at my diary for last week, when I was having those cravings. You'll see lots of gelato, and some dinners for 300 calories that were quite filling. :)

Thanks so much. Its not like I don't have recipes of my own when eating this low (low in my mind, my eyes are bigger than my stomach sometimes, or my stomach is bigger than my energy needs...eh you get the idea), I just don't plan for it because the cravings are all over the place. Sometimes they happen and sometimes they don't.

Today is one of the days I didn't plan. Sigh.
  • Justygirl77
    Justygirl77 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Google "estrogen dominance." PMS is low progesterone relative to estrogen. This imbalanced also causes you to store fat. Check it out!
  • Leana088
    Options
    Omg I totally understand where you are coming from. Yesterday I ate FIVE creme eggs and two bars of dairy milk hazelnut bars on top of a protein smoothie and a full tray of those spinach and ricotta pasta parcels (the one with enough for two people) with a price of chicken and tomato sauce. I was still starving!! I'm also a shorty so this was probably two days worth of calories in one. :'(

holy smokes

Haha! I have days like that too. We dwarfs sometimes have the appetites of giants for some unknown reason.... :neutral_face: it's.... It's very sad...
  • Leana088
    Options
    oriel67 wrote: »
    have you tried having a chocolate rice cake with some peanut butter on it when you have a severe craving? That's about 100 calories if you go easy on the PB.

I would not keep anything chocolate in the house around this time. Or any other time for that matter. I always go out to buy single serve treats.

I shouldn't say this, but, just to spite MFP users.. :smiley: I'm ADDICTED to sugar!!! And I love it... But honestly it gets in the way of my goals sometimes. :neutral_face:

I can't control myself around them, well I can if I tried, but when they're here, I don't want to. Because they taste too good. Lol
  • arditarose
    edited March 2015
    Options

holy smokes

Haha! I have days like that too. We dwarfs sometimes have the appetites of giants for some unknown reason.... :neutral_face: it's.... It's very sad...

I have a huge appetite at times too. I guess not to the point I'm going to eat 5 creme eggs and two chocolate bars. I usually think one chocolate bar is indulgent enough.