Sodium intake

Options
Can anyone give me some ideas on healthy ways to get sodium. I am coming in usually around 1000 mg a day which I am told is too little. I have to be careful with salt because I love salty snacks, and refuse to pick up a salt shaker. Any foods that contain "good" sodium out there?

Replies

• Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Nori, shoyu, nutritional yeast, liquid aminos.... all have sodium. Though I'm doubtful that those are any 'healthier' than regular old table salt. I wouldn't worry too much about your sodium intake. You aren't that far under the current recommendations of 1,500 mg per day.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    If you're eating fine and within your caloric intake without encountering any medical issues (i.e. muscle cramping, sluggishness, etc.), I wouldn't worry about the number that you see in MFP as your sodium intake. All these numbers are approximations and you can get sodium naturally without adding it. Your 1000mg could easily be 1500 or 2000 because of the estimations.

If you're doing well, don't knock it! :D Why rock the boat? Pat yourself on the back and only revisit this if it becomes an issue.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Why do you refuse to pick up a salt shaker if you're trying to consume more sodium?
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    I'm not even sure what you mean by "good sodium", and who is telling you that 1000mg is too little? I mean 2300mg is the recommended daily MAXIMUM.

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/foodnut/09354.html

How much Sodium is Required?

The Adequate Intake (AI) for sodium is 1,500 milligrams daily for males and females ages 9-50. This value is less than 1 teaspoon of table salt per day. The maximum recommended level of sodium intake is 2,300 milligrams daily. On average, more than 85% of American men and women consume sodium in amounts that far exceed the maximum recommended level of intake.

Sodium Deficiency

Sodium deficiency is extremely rare, as most Americans over-consume sodium. Deficiency usually only occurs with prolonged bouts of fluid loss due to diarrhea, vomiting, or perspiration. Those who have kidney problems may also be more likely to develop a sodium deficiency. Symptoms of deficiency include nausea, dizziness, and muscle cramps.
  • katieross1508
    katieross1508 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    my naturaopath tells me that I should be comsuming at least 1500mg a day, that certain organs require sodium to function properly. Just making sure I am not causing negative effects to my body while trying to lose weight at the same time.
  • katieross1508
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Why do you refuse to pick up a salt shaker if you're trying to consume more sodium?

Because I love salt and want to get it most natural way I can not by adding a refinded substance to my diet..
  • katieross1508
    Options
    thanks for all the tips.
  • katieross1508
    edited March 2015
    Options

• katieross1508
    Options

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    himalayan pink salt
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options

Because I love salt and want to get it most natural way I can not by adding a refinded substance to my diet..

Yeaah..

ab2.gif
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Let the foods you eat (prepared yourself or purchased ready to eat) provide all the sodium you need. I no longer use the salt shaker.

I try to stay a lot less than 2000 a day but it is so hard to eliminate sodium as it is an additive in everything we eat. I actually buy everything that I can buy as low sodium and even these low sodium options are high in sodium.... LOL

• Sarahndipity30
    Sarahndipity30 Posts: 312 Member
    Options

Taken from: http://authoritynutrition.com/different-types-of-salt/

There is one study that compared the mineral content of different types of salt (7).

The table below shows the comparison between Table Salt, Maldon Salt (a typical sea salt), Himalayan Salt and Celtic Salt:

Salt Mineral Content
    znad1l.jpg

As you can see, celtic salt has the least amount of sodium and the highest amount of calcium and magnesium. Himalayan salt contains a bit of potassium.

However… keep in mind that these really are tiny amounts. For example, the 0.3% content of Magnesium for celtic salt implies that you would need to eat 100 grams of salt to reach the recommended daily amount.

For this reason, the mineral content of the various salts is actually not a compelling reason to choose one salt over the other. These amounts really are negligible compared to what you get from food.

Which Salt is The Healthiest?

I looked long and hard and couldn’t find a single study actually comparing the health effects of different types of salt.

However… if such a study were done, I highly doubt they would find a major difference. Most of the salts are similar, consisting of sodium chloride and tiny amounts of minerals.

The main benefit of choosing more “natural” types of salt is that you avoid additives and anti-caking agents that are often added to regular table salt.

At the end of the day, salt is salt… its main purpose is to add flavour, not nutrition.
  • katieross1508
    Options

Yeaah..

ab2.gif

LOL!
    It is totally crazy the sodium amounts in the food I used to eat. Quite scary really. I am not picking up the salt shaker... Like you said there is enough in everyday foods
  • katieross1508
    Options
    Taken from: http://authoritynutrition.com/different-types-of-salt/

There is one study that compared the mineral content of different types of salt (7).

The table below shows the comparison between Table Salt, Maldon Salt (a typical sea salt), Himalayan Salt and Celtic Salt:

Salt Mineral Content
    znad1l.jpg

As you can see, celtic salt has the least amount of sodium and the highest amount of calcium and magnesium. Himalayan salt contains a bit of potassium.

However… keep in mind that these really are tiny amounts. For example, the 0.3% content of Magnesium for celtic salt implies that you would need to eat 100 grams of salt to reach the recommended daily amount.

For this reason, the mineral content of the various salts is actually not a compelling reason to choose one salt over the other. These amounts really are negligible compared to what you get from food.

Which Salt is The Healthiest?

I looked long and hard and couldn’t find a single study actually comparing the health effects of different types of salt.

However… if such a study were done, I highly doubt they would find a major difference. Most of the salts are similar, consisting of sodium chloride and tiny amounts of minerals.

The main benefit of choosing more “natural” types of salt is that you avoid additives and anti-caking agents that are often added to regular table salt.

At the end of the day, salt is salt… its main purpose is to add flavour, not nutrition.

Interesting. This site is great. It is amazing the things I am learning through watching what I eat and how much I was eating that was total crap even though I thought it was "ok".
    thanks for sharing