Chia Seeds

Options
Hi everyone! So I've been on this website for a while now without much results ( I know its my diet). I have recently been introduced to Chia Seeds. Its only the first day I've tried it, but I still don't know all that mush about them. Has anyone else used these for weight loss and general health? Are they really as helpful as everyone is claiming?

Replies

• helenarriaza
    helenarriaza Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Health wise, they seem to have plenty of benefits. Not as a complete thing to eat, but to complement your meal.

They have been used for ages in my country, specially stirred on some chilled lemonade or yogurt :)
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    I never used them but I researched them and it was noted they can be very dangerous...even cut off your airwaves. Again I never used them but I researched them and decided to simply stop putting extra food in my mouth was a better avenue for weight loss for me.
  • Marcia661
    Marcia661 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I use them in my Overnight Oats and Smoothies.....makes a nice pudding like consistency and adds some extra Omega 3 into your mix. Negligible calories so it's all good :)
  • MamaJ1974
    MamaJ1974 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    urloved33 wrote: »
    I never used them but I researched them and it was noted they can be very dangerous...even cut off your airwaves.
    ??

• AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    They aren't magical and you should make sure they have soaked in whatever liquid you choose before eating them. The calories can add up fast so weigh them just like all your other food. It's still going to be calories in vs calories out no matter what you decide to eat.

I love making chia pudding.
  • WeddedBliss1992
    WeddedBliss1992 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    my aunt LOVES them and eats them every day in some form, such as on oatmeal, in a smoothie, etc. she is near 70 years old and has the most beautiful skin. :smile:
  • SandyCoils
    SandyCoils Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    All I'm going to say is to be careful with them. I have a friend who used to be on the chia seed kick for a while back about 2 years ago. It didn't give her the "magical" results she thought she would get, so she increased her portions. Well, she ended up calling in to work one day because she couldn't leave her bathroom!!!!!! Talk about a "clense"! Those chia seeds had her going and she said she could not control it.
  • dirtyflirty30
    dirtyflirty30 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    MamaJ1974 wrote: »
    urloved33 wrote: »
    I never used them but I researched them and it was noted they can be very dangerous...even cut off your airwaves.
    ??

I totally hate it when my radio gets cut off, too.
  • Halbared
    Halbared Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds are an excellent source of fibre. I take them for that purpose.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    I've been eating chia seeds lately. I use 2 cups of almond milk (Blue Diamond Hint of Honey is real good), 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut, 1/3 cup maple syrup, and 6 tablespoons of chia seeds. It makes 4 servings, and I consume 2 per day giving me 20g of fiber and 10g of protein. I'm on a higher fiber diet because of recent colon surgery, and psyllium husk hasn't been cutting it. The chia seeds have been wonderful though.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I've tried them and they didn't do much for me beyond a very slight improvement in hydration. Just keep in mind that they have calories, so log them if you eat them. I have part of a bag that I just can't bring myself to throw away (I hate throwing away food, which I know is not helpful for weight loss). Occasionally I'll put some in with water or juice, but it basically triples the calorie content of a glass of juice when I do that.
  • jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    First of all...they are just a food. They are not any magical element that will cause you to lose weight.

They are a seed, just like pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, etc. They are a good source of fiber, which in turn can help you feel satiated.

I enjoy adding them to yogurt, overnight oats, or smoothies. I have also read about long distance runners who soak them in water and consume for extra hydration.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't think they are worth the calories.
  • UtahWI
    UtahWI Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I am missing a significant chunk of my gut and chia seeds in oatmeal really help to normalize my life. I tried them in overnight oats as well and while they did just what they are supposed to, I can't get into overnight oats as a cold thing.
    I have also put them in smoothies with the same positive effects on my gut. I can't say as though they have done anything for weight loss, but they help me feel normal.

I have never had them cut off my breathing or my radio. :-/ LOL!
  • spoonyspork
    spoonyspork Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    They have a pretty good nutritional profile and are fun to 'eat' (I drink them). Soaking them in a bit of juice ends up with something pretty similar to boba tea with fewer calories and sugar.

They're not magic or 'for weight loss' or anything, but they're good!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    For portions, I'd take no more than a tablespoon at a sitting because they are so calorie dense. They are an amazing soluble fiber. I say soak them first; I like mine soaked in yogurt in my overnight oats.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    They kind of gross me out the way they get all gelatinous and booger-esque.
  • lil_lawyer3
    lil_lawyer3 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I'm going to try mixing it in some food.
  • jigglyjessica
    jigglyjessica Posts: 58 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Whatever you do, do not eat too much of them at one time
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    I heard that when you eat chia seeds, baby chias will grow in your stomach.