Mushrooms

Options
13»

Replies

• palwithme
    palwithme Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    One of my favorites is to grill the really large mushroom tops like steak on the grill with a splash of A1.
  • natboosh69
    natboosh69 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I love mushrooms, they are probably my favourite veg. I mostly use them to bulk up salads or as a side to steak or eggs.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    I have mushrooms in my omelet every morning. My 13 year old likes to sautee the giant portobello caps and then break an egg into them, cover, and eat when the white is set and the yolk opaque but still runny.

Mushrooms are awesome. They have tons of minerals and micronutrients and many are believed to have medicinal properties, ( might be woo and broscience...harmless woo and broscience so long as you aren't avoiding your scientific health and medicine!) and they are great for weight loss purposes because they are so substantial for so few calories....

Thank your 13 year old for me. I totally am going to try that portobello/egg dish. It sounds fantastic.

• Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    :smiley: No worries, here it is:

Hungarian Mushroom Soup

A Hungarian style mushroom soup seasoned with paprika, dill and sour cream.

Servings: makes 4 servings

Prep Time: 10 minutes
    Cook Time: 35 minutes
    Total Time: 45 minutes

Ingredients

· 2 tablespoons butter

· 1 onion, diced

· 1 pound mushrooms, sliced

· 1/4 cup flour (or rice flour for gluten-free)

· 1 tablespoon paprika

· 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth

· 2 teaspoons dried dill

· 1 tablespoon soy sauce (optional)

· salt and pepper to taste

· 1/2 cup sour cream

· 1 splash lemon juice

· 1 handful fresh dill, chopped (optional)

Directions

1. Melt the butter in a large sauce pan over medium heat, add the onions and mushrooms and cook until the mushrooms have released their liquids and it has evaporated, about 10-15 minutes.

2. Mix in the flour and paprika and let it cook for 2-3 minutes.

3. Add the broth, dill, soy sauce, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes

4. Season with salt, pepper mix in the sour cream, lemon juice and dill and remove from heat.

I’m making this ASAP, thanks so much for sharing!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Emilia777 wrote: »
    :smiley: No worries, here it is:

Hungarian Mushroom Soup

A Hungarian style mushroom soup seasoned with paprika, dill and sour cream.

Servings: makes 4 servings

Prep Time: 10 minutes
    Cook Time: 35 minutes
    Total Time: 45 minutes

Ingredients

· 2 tablespoons butter

· 1 onion, diced

· 1 pound mushrooms, sliced

· 1/4 cup flour (or rice flour for gluten-free)

· 1 tablespoon paprika

· 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth

· 2 teaspoons dried dill

· 1 tablespoon soy sauce (optional)

· salt and pepper to taste

· 1/2 cup sour cream

· 1 splash lemon juice

· 1 handful fresh dill, chopped (optional)

Directions

1. Melt the butter in a large sauce pan over medium heat, add the onions and mushrooms and cook until the mushrooms have released their liquids and it has evaporated, about 10-15 minutes.

2. Mix in the flour and paprika and let it cook for 2-3 minutes.

3. Add the broth, dill, soy sauce, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes

4. Season with salt, pepper mix in the sour cream, lemon juice and dill and remove from heat.

I’m making this ASAP, thanks so much for sharing!

Oh boy, the pressure lol I hope you all enjoy it :smiley:
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    I have mushrooms in my omelet every morning. My 13 year old likes to sautee the giant portobello caps and then break an egg into them, cover, and eat when the white is set and the yolk opaque but still runny.

Mushrooms are awesome. They have tons of minerals and micronutrients and many are believed to have medicinal properties, ( might be woo and broscience...harmless woo and broscience so long as you aren't avoiding your scientific health and medicine!) and they are great for weight loss purposes because they are so substantial for so few calories....

Thank your 13 year old for me. I totally am going to try that portobello/egg dish. It sounds fantastic.

My middle school gourmand feeds us all regularly! (she recommends a dusting of parmesean and/or Penzey's Fox Point Seasoning on top of the egg, by the way....)
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options

My middle school gourmand feeds us all regularly! (she recommends a dusting of parmesean and/or Penzey's Fox Point Seasoning on top of the egg, by the way....)

That's awesome lol. I love seeing kids that like to cook. So many have no interest whatsoever.
  • conradCLE
    Options
    try a little truffle oil. Takes mushrooms to whole a new level if not whole new world.