Pretty much killed two weeks of diet/exercise in one cheat day

Options
I've been hitting it hard these past two weeks, 6 work outs a week burning 500-700 calories each and sticking to my 1250 calorie limit (though sometimes eating back 200ish of my exercise calories to fuel the workout!) overall I kicked butt and noticed a huge change on the scale and the way I looked. We went to a friends house for a birthday party and I cheated. not like had a slice of cake cheated...like I had cake, chips, burgers (yes, plural) and wine. Who drinks wine with burgers? Me. I do. Yesterday I felt DISGUSTING, bloated and overall yucky. I logged it all and was over 2000 calories over for the day and didn't exercise. Yesterday I stayed within my 1200 goal but felt so yucky I didn't exercise again. I got on the scale and am soooo mad! Yet, all this and I have no desire to work out today! :( I need motivation! someone tell me I didn't undo all that I worked for and that the scale is wrong cuz it's drunk or something. Haha!

Replies

• ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    2000 over one day will only derail you if you let it. You need 3500 cals to gain one pound that is over what you are suppose to eat. So let the past be the past and move on. You know better now and you can do better now!
  • Jg04811
    Jg04811 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    You can't sit there and think about the past. Focus on today and what good you can do today. Just start back again. I am constantly starting over again. Dont worry about that party, time to just move on. Maybe go for a walk today instead of the normal workout. Start that back up tomorrow ;)
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    2000 calories is not going to make or break you.

Special occasions and holidays happen. Enjoy them and then log it and move on. In the grand scheme of things, it's a drop in the bucket.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    You can't undo anything in one day...your body doesn't work like that. The human body is amazingly adaptable to energy...you don't get fat over eating one day...your body knows how to use that excess energy. Just as you have to consistently under-eat (diet) to lose weight, you have to consistently over-eat to put on fat.

Anything you're seeing on the scale for one days over-eating is a combination of water retention, more inherent waste in your system, and you topped off your glycogen stores.

Calm down...
  • geotrice
    geotrice Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Stay on track for three days and you'll be back to your pre-cheat day. It's okay to have a cheat day. It's more about your overall lifestyle. Plus your 1250 limit assumes a weight loss, 2000 calories may not be too far over your maintenance limit. If you're hitting your target most days then you'll still make headway. Progress over perfection.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    AmberSue09 wrote: »
    2000 over one day will only derail you if you let it. You need 3500 cals to gain one pound that is over what you are suppose to eat. So let the past be the past and move on. You know better now and you can do better now!
    This.

You didn't lose the weight in one day, and you won't gain it all back in one either.
  • kailibertsch
    kailibertsch Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    You did not undo everything in just one day. The scale may have went up due to water retention from increased sodium, but it should level back out to where you were within a couple days.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Try not to sweat it. Get back to your workouts, minimize the damage. Everyone messes up sometime, it's not the end.
  • Rashanti1
    Rashanti1 Posts: 108 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    The other week I went to my friend's house and had left over Lasagna with garlic bread plus 3 huge fajita burritos all in one day. I felt extremely bloated and my weight shot up 5 pounds. A few days of being back at my regular routine and I was back to my regular weight. You're fine. You got this.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Rashanti1 wrote: »
    The other week I went to my friend's house and had left over Lasagna with garlic bread plus 3 huge fajita burritos all in one day. I felt extremely bloated and my weight shot up 5 pounds. A few days of being back at my regular routine and I was back to my regular weight. You're fine. You got this.
    That day sounds delicious! <3
  • tretoptreece
    tretoptreece Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    AmberSue09 wrote: »

Don't give up! Amber is so right! Just move forward, you got this!
  • misscaligreen
    misscaligreen Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    You DID not UNDO anything. First of all exercise is good for you!! Secondly you would have to eat much more that 2000 excess calories to undo your hard work. GET BACK TO IT! That is the most important thing. DO NOT let one bad day turn in to 2,3, 4..... All the bloat and sodium will even out. Get back to eating right and exercising and you will be fine. We cannot think that we will NEVER indulge. Life is about celebrating and indulging occasionally. Accept it and work hard until the next celebration. Just try not to indulge too often :) Don't let one bad day be your excuse to give up.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    You should probably stick to a more reasonable goal so it doesn't happen again, honestly... and you haven't derailed anything if you ate 3200 calories. With the huge deficit that you have, you will make up for it in no time... Plus most of the weight gain is probably water weight anyway.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    What they all said its 0.57lb, which isnt the scenario of doom. If you wnat you can repair it by doing a bit extra each day. Honestly you need to relax and a few days off every now and then so change the angle and decide it was planned and you are in control. Its easily put right with a bit of extra exercise each day for the next few weeks. Just think what an amazing job you are doing, notch it down to experience and get back to it.

Sitting at home isnt going to do anything and by missing 2 sessions thats 1000 calories you didnt burn, which would make that 2000 seem significantly less. If you are mad go and work it out at the gym, you are doing great and youll be fine.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Well it happens. Just move on.
  • misscaligreen
    misscaligreen Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    geotrice wrote: »
    Stay on track for three days and you'll be back to your pre-cheat day. It's okay to have a cheat day. It's more about your overall lifestyle. Plus your 1250 limit assumes a weight loss, 2000 calories may not be too far over your maintenance limit. If you're hitting your target most days then you'll still make headway. Progress over perfection.

"progress over perfection" <3 this :)
  • AwfHand
    AwfHand Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    There are 3500 calories in a pound of fat. You couldn't have gained a pound of body fat from what you described consuming. If you weighed in and were above where you thought you should be, odds are it was water weight from high sodium levels. You're still on track to get where you want to be.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    lindsayh87 wrote: »
    Yet, all this and I have no desire to work out today! :( I need motivation! someone tell me I didn't undo all that I worked for and that the scale is wrong cuz it's drunk or something. Haha!

2000 calories divided by 14 is 143. So unless your deficit was only 143 calories per day for the past 2 weeks (and at 1250 calories that is unlikely), you didn't undo everything.

You are likely bloated from the high calories day so just avoid the scale for a couple of days.

2000 calories in one day is unlikely to be more than a few hundred over your maintenance. Think how bad that day could have been if hadn't been careful before!
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Just in to ask....why the 1250 calorie limit?
  • lindsayh87
    lindsayh87 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »
    Just in to ask....why the 1250 calorie limit?

1200 is what my fitness pal gave me to lose 2lbs per week. I upped it just a tad for work out sake but when I work out harder I often do 1300-1400.