"French women don't get fat" following the book.

Replies

• Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,406 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2007/07/low-fat-chicken-recipes.html

here you go re chicken

plus google recipes and amend them

then make it work in your overall calories

Holy ****! This is my new favourite page! Pinning this on Pinterest NOW. Gawd bless ya!
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    From what I can gather on the French diet, they usually have a pastry for breakfast. Although cereal and oats are becoming more popular. They then have a really big lunch with a starter, main course and either a dessert or cheese after. Children are offered a small snack when they return from school. And dinner is between 20:00-21:00 which isn't as big as lunch. But sometimes if people have guests over there's some sort of appetiser offered before dinner. That's my understanding at least. I also read that those lunches are becoming a bit less of a tradition in an increasingly busy lifestyle.

I'm English, but I've been to France loads of times, and as I did a French degree I spent a year at university there, then I stayed on to work as an au pair for the Summer (about 9 weeks).

Portion sizes are smaller there, in comparison to England, and definitely in comparison to the US. You buy a coffee even, and it's half the size, even a large. You don't have the same choice of chocolates/cakes/biscuits/crisps and they're generally sold in sharing portions, like a big bag of crisps, a big bar of chocolate.

When I lived with the family to look after the kids, we just had cereal for breakfast. The parents came home for lunch (they had about 2 hours) and made lunch, maybe pasta, or some meat or something, and then dinner was something light. The kids had a small Kinder bar as a snack. The dad did a job in the fruit and veg industry and used to come back with huge boxes of peaches. This was in Provence, and it was hot. Meals were always family orientated, sitting together at the table.

I haven't been to France for a while now, since having kids myself, and haven't stayed with a family, but I have heard that habits have changed, people are more likely to eat a meal in front of the TV now.

I had a French colleague a few years ago, and I'm not sure she was the best example lol. She used to keep a jar of Nutella in her room, and I've never known anyone eat so much! She said when she was at school she used to eat Mcdonalds and a litre of coke every day.

I think the difference is just quantity of food...they simply eat less. I was shocked at portion sizes when I went to the US.
  • louminouche
    louminouche Posts: 37 Member
    The women in my French family are so good. If they go out for a meal in the evening they will either eat an apple or a slice of melon during the day. They say that way they enjoy their meal out so much more like that as they are hungry and are able to savour every morsel they put in their mouth.
  • stellet_licht
    stellet_licht Posts: 33 Member
    If you read the first chapter or so of "In Defense of Food," by Michael Pollan, you might find he has an interesting take on American's attitudes towards food vs. Western European's. Not normally a fan of his, but I grant him that it's compelling. FWIW
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Now I want some french wine, baguettes, macaroons and cheese plz.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    I've been reading this book for a short time now and I'm feeling really good about the idea of eating for pleasure. I've tried eating clean and restrictive but I haven't made any weight changes because I just lost so many foods! Has anyone else read the book or followed the tips? Or in fact want to try it with me?

I've read the book. I don't think the "miracle leek soup" is necessary, unless you find you mentally respond to kicking off with what is essentially a fast.

The general concept of the book is actually sound -- don't starve yourself, eat slowly and enjoy the experience of your food, walk places, take the stairs, move more.

And, some of the recipes are tasty and useful for filling up on very few calories. The pureed vegetable soup in particular is something I ate a lot of over the winter....I made a version that was so low-calorie that I could afford to melt a nice big layer of cheese on top, which made for a satisfying meal with lots of fiber and micronutrients for very little caloric intake.
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    I find that the richer and tastier a dish is, the less of it I need to be satisfied. I remember the first time i went to a fine dining restaurant, and I ordered ravioli... It came with 3..yes THREE ravioli on my plate. I looked at it like OMG are you SERIOUS?!

But by the time I made it to the last one, I was stuffed...it was SO good that I was slowly eating it and savouring every bite of it. Very different from when Id get a big plate of pasta and I just shovel it down... and for sure, a lot less calories too.

I think that is a big part of it though, smaller portions, but packed with fresh, full on flavour, that you actually taste and enjoy the process of eating. At home, that is what I strive for...which is I dont use low fat, no fat, low this, diet that... I just have the real deal in sensible portions. When we go out, what comes on my plate literally can be 2 or even 3 meals...

Add to it making a lifestyle of being active (trying my best to get my 10k steps in! But trying to walk more, drive less..) and yes..BASICALLY its eat less / move more. But the method of actually eating enjoyable foods, and being active as a lifestyle, doing things you enjoy rather than forcing yourself to eat bland food or forcing yourself to the gym if that is not somethign you enjoy, that I think is the difference that can really help.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Mayartica wrote: »
    Haaa I am French and I am here with over 50lbs to lose sooo... lol
    I agree with you there more than steamed chicken and broccoli in life but I think it is all about finding the right balance (which I have not yet)

Lol I know. I grew up in France and I was always overweight. I ate a lot of croissants, cookies, cheeses, yogurts, puddings, pastries... When I moved to the US I gained 50 pounds, but mostly because I stopped walking everywhere. But yes, portions are bigger here (it was a shock when I moved), and I'd say that people use more packaged foods as a whole... I didn't know anyone who went to the gym though (but I moved when I was 23). But I didn't know that many overweight people either.
  • neverenoughpolish
    neverenoughpolish Posts: 3 Member
    I haven't read the book Hollybeam but I hear what you're saying. We all know the formula is eat less, move more, etc. but that's not what you're getting at.

And now that you mention it when my husband and I went to Europe 3 years ago for 2 1/2 weeks I didn't diet while I was there and pretty much ate what I wanted and I never gained any weight. We walked everywhere, I ate bread but butter wasn't generally offered and I ate gelato everywhere I went! It was very liberating not worrying about food I have to say.

In the US I tend to pick up bad habits with snacking and junk foods that I have to work on all the time to avoid.

I will go to Amazon and read up on this book. Sounds interesting.
  • jessiruthica
    jessiruthica Posts: 412 Member
    I've read (not in this particular book, but other places) about eating higher quality, tastier food but just eating less of it. It only takes a little bit, for instance, of roquefort cheese to get that hit of taste whereas it takes quite a lot of crappy cheap cheese, with which you may never actually enjoy the taste. Also, because roquefort (or really good wine or premium dark chocolate or whatever) is a stronger taste, you actually *can't* eat as much of it. I'd rather have one square of really good chocolate over a lot of average chocolate any day!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    I have read the book. I agree with the principles and aim to adhere to them now - small portions of delicious food instead of large amounts of so-so foods, and only eating meals, so snacking, at least no grazing (all of those habits were my downfall). None of the recipes in the book sounded appetizing to me. I google recipes by ingredients instead. I eat cheese and fruit and nuts, but rarely bread. My taste has become more refined, I am seeking both the exotic and the traditional, and I can eat foods I used to fear: Sardines, pickles, beets, dates, oysters, eggs. I still have potatoes, carrots and pork chops, pasta, rice, peas and salmon. I love food now.
  • lagourmande18
    lagourmande18 Posts: 3 Member
    Hi hollybeam94,

I read the book about 5 years ago and still follow it. Yes, it does equate to eat less, move more. But it emphasizes a better relationship with food.

Key Points:
    More vegetables & fruit
    Seasonal Eating
    Good quality cuts of meat
    Occasional treats
    Cooking at home
    Eating slowly, eating well
    Portion sizes (e.g. a whole chicken breast from the shop is often 6-10 oz when a single portion is 3-4 oz!)
    Attitude towards food (most important I think)
    Find your own way to exercise (if the gym is for you, great, if not - walk, swim, yoga, dance, row, whatever so that you move more!)

To talk about food attitudes - As a Canadian, I have definitely seen first hand the guilt people have about food. Girls I know would have two cocktails & a piece of cake & spend 3 hours at the gym the next day! It's crazy. Whereas my mother's attitude was always the opposite. She is European, she would eat what she liked and while has put on a little weight now that she is in her 60s has never been overweight. She has always practiced small modifications after the holidays to help her return to her equilibrium. She never feels guilty about the food she eats & she has always eaten very well. All of her friends from Europe (German, Swiss, Belgian, Dutch, etc.) also seem to have this philosophy engrained in them. Whereas her Canadian friends seem to struggle more. This book reminds me of the lessons I learned growing up.

I re-read the book about once a year, particularly after the holidays or periods of lots of travel to remind me of healthy eating. It reminds me that my "offenders" - bread, pasta & chocolate - are my fall-backs when I'm busy or stressed. So I try to always have a supply of healthy alternatives in the freezer. I have friends who are paleo & while I'm not that into it, I did adopt some things from them like replacing pasta with spiralized vegetables (letting me have cream & cheese in my "pasta" guilt-free!). And also using nut flours & natural sweeteners (honey, maple syrup) when I want a treat. I still eat wheat about once a week (only because it's too easy for all of my meals to revolve around it), but dessert now is mostly fruit & smoothies. Of course saying that I did eat my bodyweight in chocolate cake this weekend!

I'm on MFP because of "vanity pounds", I'm within my healthy BMI, but was on the upper end for a while (of the healthy BMI) & want to make sure I am eating better and moving more. I live in Europe now, without a car, so walking, running errands, going to class (I'm a student) keeps me in shape because I'm almost always on the verge of being late! :wink: And a little yoga & a barre class whenever I can fit it in (which is max 2-3x per week).

If you like Mireille's philosophy & recipes, also look at her cookbook (I'm a Magical Breakfast Cream fanatic) & French Women for All Seasons. Reminding myself of her philosophy (and mine & my upbringing) has kept me from ever gaining a huge amount of weight.

Sorry this post is so long! I am such a huge fan of this book and philosophy. :smile:
  • agbmom556
    agbmom556 Posts: 694 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2007/07/low-fat-chicken-recipes.html

here you go re chicken

plus google recipes and amend them

then make it work in your overall calories

Thanks!
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    LINIA wrote: »
    Hi Holly,

yes I read and enjoyed the book very much. It seemed to me that the French women ( in the book) do not drive everywhere as we here in the U.S. are prone to do. It also seemed to suggest that eating with others and talking a lot takes the place of second and third helpings ---- also the desserts seem to be an important part of meals but often dessert is fresh fruit , here we know dessert is usually huge with many calories. Portion sizes, of course, are smaller in Paris.

after reading the book, further research divulged that French women who spent a lot of time in the United States usually picked up our bad habits including eating processed foods, fast foods, chips etc--- here on this forum, ppl will give advice that isn't helpful but you'll also eventually find very nice MFPers who are kind and reasonable
    Thank you! Its nice to see someone understood my post! :smile:
    It is a really interesting book and even though I'm only a little way in it is already apparent that the French eating styles are something similar to my own (only I'm less disciplined haha) but are easy, manageable changes I could make!
    Did you try the leek soup thing?
    I actually paid for a meal and excersise plan that had me eating the oddest concoctions that left me unsatisfied especially after completing 100 squat/ burpee challenges :neutral_face:

So the French women basically "eat less, move more". Isn't that what smaller portions and being more pedestrian means??
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    edited March 2015
    I haven't read the book, but my plan is to make every last thing I eat delicious, and I have no problem fitting that into my calorie goal, even with generous portion sizes. I'm not going to want to stick with something if I'm not happy, and I'm not going to be happy with plain chicken breast and steamed vegetables.
  • Nuka_Gina
    Nuka_Gina Posts: 92 Member
    I didn't even know this book existed! Thanks for pointing it out! :)
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    This is an interesting topic, thanks for posting! :)

For those who say "eat less, move more" I believe we all get that, this is more of an approach to the psychology of eating right. I'd love to not have to count calories all the time.
  • JenniferIsLosingIt
    JenniferIsLosingIt Posts: 595 Member
    Alright guys, thanks for your great, motivational tips :\
    I was referring to eating more enjoyable foods rather than plain chicken and steamed vegetables and protein shakes. And getting my exercise done in more enjoyable, stimulating ways rather than pounding a treadmill for an hour.
    Besides, I wasn't asking for advice. I was asking for companions and experiences
    Eat less and move more. There is no magic involved.

Dont let people like this discourage you. JERK! OP was simply asking if you had read a prticular book!
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    I read the book last summer and took away some great tips for pleasurable eating.
  • exstromn
    exstromn Posts: 168 Member
    I like the general idea here, and I like to think I eat what I like and tastes good just less of it. I've never been a fan of "diet" foods and I like to try new foods. Here in the US as someone mentioned before, we use our cars to go everywhere when we could be walking or biking shorter distances. Enjoy your new approach, I hope it works for you:)