Pork left in fridge over weekend..

Options
I had some pork tenderloin in the freezer which I then thawed on thursday night (on to the counter for a couple hours then to the fridge) and then cut into slices and put it in marinade on friday morning, also in the fridge. I was going to visit my gf this weekend (out of town) but I planned on making it before I left. I ended up leaving early so I told my roommates to eat it up since it'd go to waste otherwise but of course I came home and its still in there. What are the chances its still good?

The marinade is chimmichirri if that matters. It looks fine and I can only smell the marinade in the container

Replies

• _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    probably still edible...I'd cook it a little to more doneness than normal though.
  • DosEquisToGo
    Options
    uh . . . I wouldn't eat it.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Well what was the expiration date for the pork? I wouldn't think s marinade would make it go bad faster.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    uh . . . I wouldn't eat it.

Me neither
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    yeah, I'd feel more comfortable eating if the marinade had salt in it.
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Foodsafety.gov says it should be okay. But I'd eat it today.
    Storing marinated food: If things get busy and you end up not cooking the chicken, don’t worry! You can store marinated poultry in your refrigerator for two days. Beef, veal, pork, and lamb roasts, chops, and steaks may be marinated up to 5 days.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    http://www.foodsafety.gov/keep/charts/storagetimes.html

USDA says it's good for 3-5 days, and from what I've seen, they're very conservative compared to other countries.

I guess it boils down to if you want to risk the side effects. (Honestly, I'd think it's fine).
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    If, after cooking, it looks, smells or tastes funny you can always re-evaluate.
  • Rubie81
    Rubie81 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I've done this and eaten it and everything was fine. I say, enjoy!
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Yeah, cook it thoroughly and if it was in the fridge it should be fine. It may taste a little "over marinated" or have a cottony feel to it if the marinade was fairly acidic.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Here's the thing. If you'd left it in the fridge in the original package, I'd say you're good to go.

But, when you put the meat in the marinade, you introduced more microbes to the mix. Then you let it sit in the fridge for 3 whole days. Plenty of time for those microbes to get growing. And unfortunately, the nasty kinds of food poisoning you'd need to worry about don't give off a smell or look funny even when there's more than enough around to make you sick. Plus, if it would happen to be a bacteria like Staph aureus, cooking the meat won't get rid of the problem. It's the toxins that Staph produces that make you sick, not the actual bacteria - and they survive the cooking process just fine.

So, if I were cooking that just for me, I might take the risk because I think this is a borderline case. But probably not, because I've had a really bad case of Staph poisoning before. Three days unable to eat or drink, and a month recovering my strength. Not. Worth. It.

But if I were cooking for others, ain't no way, ain't no how would I take that risk for them. Nope, nope, nope.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    my husband (former chef) says he would probably eat it himself but not so sure if he'd serve it to anyone else LOL