D E A D L I F T S

Options
Holy crap, so today was my first day doing deadlifts with a 40 lb bar bell :p it was wayyyyyy harder then I imagined. Quick question because I want to incorporate these in my work out every time... Should the bar bell when it's near the floor be closer to my toes or my ankles. Watching videos they're full frontal so I can't see, but I noticed when it's further out towards my toes my core literally shakes when rising up. I know form is important so help lol!! :#

Replies

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    When you pull the bar up you should be in danger of hitting your shins. Don't of course but pull it up close enough so that it's a thought. Keep it close to your body as possible.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I cannot remember any of the good youtube links to show you. I also do not really know what you are asking? I would say post a video of you dead lifting for form check.

Also form should technically be the number one priority over actually weight lifted.
  • roxyyrainy123
    roxyyrainy123 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    When you pull the bar up you should be in danger of hitting your shins. Don't of course but pull it up close enough so that it's a thought. Keep it close to your body as possible.

Ok awesome that's what I was asking. The other way felt I was doing something "off".. I'll try and start and finish closer to my shins. Thanks :)
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    roll it up your shins. Pull in and up. Wear long socks, bruised shins mean you are doing it right. You probably wont be able to pull "in" that much without any weight on it, you'll fall over backwards, but if you do then you are doing it right. get some weight on it, to counterbalance.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Pretty much everyone eventually bumps their shins. Some people wear long socks on deadlift day for this very reason. If you keep it away from your body you're going to have your center of gravity off and while you can get away with it on lighter weight it could eventually give you an issue with your back.

• Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    mark rippetoe explaining deadlifts. it shows all kinds of angles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfYez7-h55c

also, you shouldn't be doing them every work out.
  • keithcw_the_first
    keithcw_the_first Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Start with the bar over the laces of your shoes. When you bend over to grab it it should nearly be touching your shins, or actually touching them.

Then drop your hips slightly (but not as much as a squat), tighten your lats and pull the bar up in a straight line. It may (will) bump your shins on the way up and will rest on your quads when you lock it out.
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Start with the bar over the laces of your shoes. When you bend over to grab it it should nearly be touching your shins, or actually touching them.

Then drop your hips slightly (but not as much as a squat), tighten your lats and pull the bar up in a straight line. It may (will) bump your shins on the way up and will rest on your quads when you lock it out.

this, Stronglifts explains it the same way. Bar over the middle of your foot and bend your legs until your shins are just about touching

• roxyyrainy123
    Options

Thanks for this! What is the reason for not doing them every work out? Will they become ineffective?
  • roxyyrainy123
    Options
    Awesome advice, thanks guys :D
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I think they meant, not to do them every day. Lifting weights requires some recovery time before you lift again. I’d recommend a full body program 3 times per week that includes deadlifts.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

Thanks for this! What is the reason for not doing them every work out? Will they become ineffective?

Deadlifts are possibly the most stressful lift there is. You will eventually run into recovery issues doing them every workout. Almost every beginner program on the planet only prescribes them once a week. Even people who do them 2x a week (like me) will do one heavy day and one volume day.
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    It's more the fact that if you get up there in weight, you wont progress as much if you're doing it every workout because you wont have enough time to recover. You'll be too tired and need extended rest periods at some point. I usually have to take a week off from deadlifts to recover sometimes.
  • roxyyrainy123
    Options
    I think they meant, not to do them every day. Lifting weights requires some recovery time before you lift again. I’d recommend a full body program 3 times per week that includes deadlifts.
    Got it, that's what I'm doing now roughly 3-4 full body workouts a week.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

It's because they tend to be VEEEEERRRRY taxing for most people. In the beginning, you might be able to get away with it. But when the load starts getting considerably heavier, you're likely going to need the extra rest for your posterior chain.

There are a few programs that have you DL every time. But those, I'm pretty sure, are designed with "chemical enhancement" in mind.

• roxyyrainy123
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »

Deadlifts are possibly the most stressful lift there is. You will eventually run into recovery issues doing them every workout. Almost every beginner program on the planet only prescribes them once a week. Even people who do them 2x a week (like me) will do one heavy day and one volume day.

This makes sense. This was my first day doing them and I'm amazed how effective they are, but I didn't put into consideration I will eventually be increasing the weight amount.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Got it, that's what I'm doing now roughly 3-4 full body workouts a week.

Make sure you're not lifting on back to back days with a full body program. The benefits that come with lifting come with the rest and recovery...the exercise is just the catalyst.

If you're doing heavy dead lifts, they will be extremely taxing on your CNS which is why it isn't recommended to do them every workout. As has been noted, pretty much any beginner program is only going to have you do them once per week.

I personally don't do traditional dead lifts for volume work...if I'm going to do volume work I tend towards straight leg deads or I might do some snatch grip or clean grip deads at a lower weight just to work on velocity. I do know people who do traditional dead lifts for volume, but that will blow you up too if you were doing it every time out.
  • Brownsbacker4evr
    Brownsbacker4evr Posts: 365 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    What is the reason for not doing them every work out? Will they become ineffective?

That's because you'll be hitting that same area and not allowing proper time for recovery. If you need to practice the form itself, go with an empty barbell bar or a broom stick. When you do your deadlifts as part of your actual routine, start off with a low-weight/high-rep warm-up set.

• yazzy716
    yazzy716 Posts: 2
    Options
    everyone body bodies are different. I do my heaviest leg and glute once a week i deadlift 90lbs right now.i notice just buy doing it 1 a week i see a bigg difference. make sure your getting enough protein before and after to recovery the muscle. The other days i use lighter weigths if im doing legs and glutes.