low cal pasta's made from alterantives to flower? Has anyone tired them?

Options
Has anyone tried any of the low cal pasta's mentioned in this article?

Just wondering how they taste? Its sounds interesting just don't know what to expect in reality.

https://www.yahoo.com/health/can-noodles-ever-be-healthy-heres-the-lowdown-on-113964477172.html

Replies

• kempt_ken
    kempt_ken Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    These ones in particular I've never heard of before:

shirataki noodles
    Mung Bean Pasta
    Black Bean Pasta
    Kelp Noodles
    Soba Noodles
    Quinoa Noodles
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    That article is too busy with flashing lights. Can't. Do. It.

I like Spaghetti Squash.

I've heard good things about black bean pasta from Costco.

black-bean-pasta1.jpg
  • jadezia
    jadezia Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I make zucchini noodles all the time, and they are DELICIOUS. I cannot recommend them enough. I used to make pasta at least a few times a week, so when I decided to start dieting, it killed me. Zucchini noodles are a tasty substitute. I tried spaghetti squash, but it doesn't have the right texture for me.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    kempt_ken wrote: »
    These ones in particular I've never heard of before:

shirataki noodles
    Mung Bean Pasta
    Black Bean Pasta
    Kelp Noodles
    Soba Noodles
    Quinoa Noodles

I've had soba noodles numerous times in Japanese restaurants. It's a buckwheat noodle, so it is made with flour, just not wheat flour.

I've also had quinoa noodles, though the only kind I've been able to find also contained rice.

I've had Barrilla Plus pasta, which is made from wheat but also has chickpeas and lentils in the mix to up the fiber and protein.

I typically use Fiber Gourmet pasta, which is also regular wheat pasta that has had much of the flour replaced by resistant starch to cut the calories in half.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I've never tried the so called "miracle" noodles. I look for pasta made with more whole grains (Barilla Plus). I can eat this pasta for life....miracle noodles....nope, not happening.

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/healthier-bowl-pasta

Pasta is not un-healthy, it's just calorie dense. Add some veggies to the dish and the same serving size has fewer calories.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    OK, so big caveat - most people seem to hate shirataki noodles. Can't get over the smell and/or the texture.

I actually like them. I get the version with tofu and the 'fishy' smell is faint, goes away once thoroughly rinsed, boiled, and rinsed again. All of that takes less time than cooking traditional pasta, so it's no big deal. But, the texture is not like most pastas. Think rice noodle, but more ... squeaky? I guess. Because of this, I use these noodles in Asian dishes where I'd expect that kind of texture and have been very satisfied. Dan dan noodles, sesame noodles, red curry shrimp noodle bowl, all good.

Not sure the texture would go over well in, say, traditional Italian pasta dishes or even soba noodle dishes.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I've had the black bean pasta. It tastes good, but the texture is different than wheat pasta and they tend to stay close together in sauce--you really have to stir to get them coated in your pasta sauce.
  • kempt_ken
    kempt_ken Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    jadezia wrote: »
    I make zucchini noodles all the time, and they are DELICIOUS. I cannot recommend them enough. I used to make pasta at least a few times a week, so when I decided to start dieting, it killed me. Zucchini noodles are a tasty substitute. I tried spaghetti squash, but it doesn't have the right texture for me.

Do you make those yourself? If so can you post recipe. I make past from scratch but I've never thought about incorporating zucchini.
  • lilackisses
    lilackisses Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Zoodles! I just bought a veggie spiralizer yesterday and I am already in love!
  • lindsayh87
    lindsayh87 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Zoodles! I just bought a veggie spiralizer yesterday and I am already in love!

Are zucchini noodles really tasty?? We just made spaghetti for dinner and even with extra lean ground beef the noodles killed my calories for the day!

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I've had the soybean pasta. It was fine for two nights. Haven't finished the pack yet.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    I tried the shiritake noodles once. Can't remember a thing about them, except they smelled fishy when the package was opened and required a lot of rinsing to get rid of that.

I quite like the black bean spaghetti from Costco. It has a nice texture (different from wheat pasta) and beany, nutty flavor that is subtle and doesn't overpower the sauce. As said above, it can be hard to mix the sauce around the noodles but I don't mind that. I kind of like my pasta with just a touch of sauce.

Spaghetti squash is great with a tomato-based sauce.

• azure7
    azure7 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I can't have wheat, so sometimes I make brown rice pasta or corn based pasta (like GF barilla); however, those aren't low cal. For low cal, I LOOOOOOVE me some zucchini noodles. They're great with sautéed garlic and red pepper flakes. They also take cream sauces well. My favorite way to eat them is with a truffle cashew cream sauce (I also have a dairy allergy).

Anyway, for @lindsayh87, here is a basic recipe:
    http://steamykitchen.com/54-zucchini-spaghetti.html

They're pretty hard to mess up :)