Will I ever loose my gut

Options
crazyjerseygirl
crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
edited March 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello all,
My question has to do with facing reality. I've been fat since puberty (aged 9, thanks a lot nature!) and am currently 35. I've just started seriously working out/tracking and the weight is coming off nicely.

realistically, do I ever stand the chance of loosing my gut? It's a nice big Buddha one, I carry little weight in my bottom and legs, it all settles there.

Will I eventually need surgery to deal with it? Can it be worked off?

Mind, I'm not looking to be bikini ready, that ship never even docked, but I'd like to not look like a deflated balloon.

Personal stories and advice welcome. Lovely day!

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,679 Member
    Options
    Lots of variables: Genetics, how much you have to lose, age, skin elasticity, etc. The only real way to know is to get to body fat levels that most women show a flatter stomach and that's usually between 20%-25%.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • crazyjerseygirl
    Options
    Ha!
    Genetics is a bit of a farce. My mum is a smaller version of my shape but hit it after us kids. The rest if the family you could hide behind a telephone pole! I'm guessing I've about 100lbs to loose (well, 87 now) but I admit, the number is arbitrary. I've been told the federal suggested weights are off. As for the elasticity, I'm 35, but still springy, perhaps there is still hope yet!

I like your idea of hitting ideal body fat level. If I hit 20% and am still saggy it will be easier to agree to a surgery. Thanks much for the suggestion!
  • runnrchic
    runnrchic Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Yes! Keep going! Like the little engine that could!
  • crazyjerseygirl
    Options
    Oh I shall runnrchic! I've always been fat and happy until I couldn't keep up with my little one. I guess my motivation just had to come from the outside. Thanks for the encouragement!
  • palwithme
    palwithme Posts: 860 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I've been doing this 9 months and I've already lost 55 pounds and then finally losing my stomach. It has been so frustrating! It's basically the last part that needs to go. So, in my opinion, it will come off it just takes a lot of time. Keep ai it and don't quit. :D
  • Phoenix_Down
    Phoenix_Down Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I had 50 lbs to lose after my second baby and it took probably the last 5-10 lbs before I saw significant change in my stomach. In fact, about midway through my weight loss I had that awkward "I'm getting smaller everywhere but my stomach, so it gives the optical illusion it's therefore bigger. " thing. I weight lifted about 3x a week with a good routine, got adequate protein (about 1g per pound of lean body mass) and kept decently within macros and micronutrients for health. Lost weight at a moderate pace. You may find you might not have to lose as much in the end if you take it slower and focus on body composition. Just lots of patience. =) You'll get there.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Best way to a smaller stomach is to remove overall body fat. You're doing all the right stuff! Be encouraged! (And you've got a great, dry wit. :D )
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    After 5 or 6 months my belly is noticeably smaller and flatter. I still have weight to lose but I am happy with the direction it is going. If that area is not absolutely flat it will still look better than where I started.
    Be patient and keep going.
  • CoffeeSlayer
    CoffeeSlayer Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    palwithme wrote: »
    I've been doing this 9 months and I've already lost 55 pounds and then finally losing my stomach. It has been so frustrating! It's basically the last part that needs to go. So, in my opinion, it will come off it just takes a lot of time. Keep ai it and don't quit. :D

I love it ... you are my weight loss twin! I have also been at it for almost 9 months and have lost 57 lbs. My stomach is the last stubborn thing to go. I am focusing more on my fitness and it is slowly leaving. Stay dedicated and it will happen. Good Luck!
  • DianaLG1
    DianaLG1 Posts: 1
    Options
    I found that the fat in my stomach and arms are the last thing to go. The 50+ year stomach sag and arm wave bugs me, but at least I am getting healthier and that is what I am focusing on this go-round.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    Options
    palwithme wrote: »

Thank you so much for the encouragement! And yes I understand, my belly is in this for the long haul. I'm honestly ok with it being a smaller version of what it is, I think I'm more concerned about skin elasticity. I've been told that you can firm it up over time but it's all data from ppl who were fit through college. As I fattened up earlier the data is pretty useless :/
  • crazyjerseygirl
    Options
    I had 50 lbs to lose after my second baby and it took probably the last 5-10 lbs before I saw significant change in my stomach. In fact, about midway through my weight loss I had that awkward "I'm getting smaller everywhere but my stomach, so it gives the optical illusion it's therefore bigger. " thing. I weight lifted about 3x a week with a good routine, got adequate protein (about 1g per pound of lean body mass) and kept decently within macros and micronutrients for health. Lost weight at a moderate pace. You may find you might not have to lose as much in the end if you take it slower and focus on body composition. Just lots of patience. =) You'll get there.

Thanks! My 100lb loss goal comes partially from suggested weights for my height (I'm 5'8") and my sisters weight. She and I are the same height and have similar bones (same shoe size, wrist and finger circ etc) and she settles nicely at my goal weight. We are built a but differently in the bust and she doesn't work out so I might settle higher, but that's ok, it's not a contest!
    Congrats on your 50lb loss! Due to my size I was only "allowed" to gain 18lbs. I'm amazed that it was even possible! I felt like I was eating CONSTANTLY. I called it the Hobbit diet. Breakfast, second breakfast, elevensies....
  • crazyjerseygirl
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    Best way to a smaller stomach is to remove overall body fat. You're doing all the right stuff! Be encouraged! (And you've got a great, dry wit. :D )

Thank you so much for the compliment! I take pride in humor, so I appreciate the ego stroke!
    And yeah, I know you can't target fat, but so much of it has chosen the belly that I'm gonna run out of fat elsewhere first.
    Luckily I have also been genetically blessed in the...um...bust dept. those don't go ANYWHERE.
    I guess my secondary goal should be to not tip over!
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    It's certainly possible.

Mine was ALL gut (54 pounds worth).

Now it's "bikini ready".

Just keep losing and you'll be fine.

10952998_898026266884608_1407735462484452103_o.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoibCJ9

10974159_899924020028166_8479210728599025365_o.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoibCJ9
  • crazyjerseygirl
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    After 5 or 6 months my belly is noticeably smaller and flatter. I still have weight to lose but I am happy with the direction it is going. If that area is not absolutely flat it will still look better than where I started.
    Be patient and keep going.

Thanks for the encouragement!
    I don't ever expect flat, I think that I've been big way too long for that, but I'd like a waist! I like an old fashioned look, I think a bit of softness is attractive, so I don't know if I'd even aim for flat...I just hope for less-flabby!
  • crazyjerseygirl
    Options
    holly55555 wrote: »

WOW! She is lovely, inside and out at all times! We have differences (I'm bigger, but oddly have less body fat percentage?) and older but it is encouraging to see this on someone.

She got into shape. She didn't get *back* into shape and that is a huge distinction! I'm only logged in for 30odd days, and 115 would be bad for me (see height) but wow, thank you for sending it my way!
  • crazyjerseygirl
    Options
    It's certainly possible.

Mine was ALL gut (54 pounds worth).

Now it's "bikini ready".

Just keep losing and you'll be fine.

10952998_898026266884608_1407735462484452103_o.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoibCJ9

10974159_899924020028166_8479210728599025365_o.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoibCJ9

Hehe! An adorable gut, but mine puts you to shame!
    I am happy that it is possible though, i know menfolk work with much lower body fat compositions so my goal is probably your starting point!
  • angelasrescuedog
    angelasrescuedog Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. Lose everywhere except my tummy
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,679 Member
    Options
    Ha!
    Genetics is a bit of a farce. My mum is a smaller version of my shape but hit it after us kids. The rest if the family you could hide behind a telephone pole! I'm guessing I've about 100lbs to loose (well, 87 now) but I admit, the number is arbitrary. I've been told the federal suggested weights are off. As for the elasticity, I'm 35, but still springy, perhaps there is still hope yet!

I like your idea of hitting ideal body fat level. If I hit 20% and am still saggy it will be easier to agree to a surgery. Thanks much for the suggestion!
    You are the direct product of your mother and father. Gender will usually dictate who's shape you'll most resemble, so female/mother, male/father.
    I will say that every client I've ever worked with that had more than 80+ pounds to lose had sagging skin somewhere on the body. So it's something more to be expected.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png