where to start with strength training?

Options
meg_balh
meg_balh Posts: 37 Member
edited March 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I see so many women say they are lifting heavy and I see these before and after pictures that are amazing. I want to start adding more strength training into my routine but I have NO IDEA where to begin. As of so far I have just been doing cardio and yoga. But I would love some tips on what exercises I should do to start!

I'm 5'7; 23 years old; and go to planet fitness

It would be extremely helpful to know some routines that I would be able to do at my gym. Thank you so much for your help!

I've lost 35 lbs so far and am committed.. so whatever tips you guys have would be great :)

My progress so far
19sfwd7589e5.jpg

Replies

• AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, planet fitness is going to lack much of the equipment you’d need to do a decent strength program. I’d look up strong lifts or new rules of lifting for women and go from there (but again, that won’t work at PF).

• emmacampbell24
    emmacampbell24 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    First of all..well done on losing so much.

Why don't you get some Dumbbells or kettle bell and check out YouTube for quick and easy workouts then gradually up your weights

Emma
  • loconnor466
    loconnor466 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, planet fitness is going to lack much of the equipment you’d need to do a decent strength program. I’d look up strong lifts or new rules of lifting for women and go from there (but again, that won’t work at PF).

^^^this! I have done both programs, right now doing stronglifts 5x5. There are groups on here for both programs for any questions or support. But you need heavy free weights, and NOT a smith machine. Check out Craigslist for equipment you can use at home, or try to find a real gym.
  • yazzy716
    yazzy716 Posts: 2
    Options
    Start with 20lbs dumbbells and kettle balls, after awhile 20lbs will feel ligth then work your way up in lbs. I lost alot of weight that way also gain alot of muscle and i do it at home. I now squat 100lbs to took awhile but deffinetly worth it. GOOD LUCK!
  • madslacker
    madslacker Posts: 39
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Planet Fitness offers free training. They offer group training as well as personalized training (that you need to sign up for in advance).

IMO - there is nothing wrong with your gym or the equipment they offer. Follow up with a trainer there (as said - it's free with your membership) and see what they suggest.

https://www.planetfitness.com/sites/default/files/PEatPFSch0211-30MinCir.pdf

Edited to include link to training schedule.
  • Lady_jane_
    Lady_jane_ Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Try some body weight moves first to get comfortable with the form - then add the weight. Or start very light, like the 20lb suggestion above. Squats, lunges and pushups are a great place to start and you can do them anywhere.
  • lovelaughrun
    lovelaughrun Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    If it's possible, look at getting a PT for a few sessions? The most important part of weight training is having correct form. No good doing sqauts or deadlifts if you're not sure on how to do it correctly - to avoid injury and get max benefit. They could also help you with a program and you could arrange a session every few weeks to change your program. There are some good free programs on pages like bodybuilding.com but I'd only suggest using a generic program once you know what you're doing with each exercise. Kudos on the weight loss so far!
  • DeserveVictory
    DeserveVictory Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I'd highly recommend getting the book New Rules of Lifting for Women.
  • janegalt37
    janegalt37 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    If you don't have access at your gym to heavy free weights, do this:
    If you do have the equipment at your gym, schedule a personal trainer and try Stronglifts 5x5. It's fun, powerful and effective. And short!

• dryan4362
    Options
    Ive been a long time powerlifter and have expiriance getting strong. I started with your classic 5x5.... id highly recommend that you find a skilled lifter to teach you form on the major compound lifts.

Deadlift and squat are imperative id also recomemt bent over rows pullups and overhead pressing....

Again get a trainer to show u the movements or at bery least youtube form vids.... make sure you program your lifts accordingly and protien levels and carb levels need to be maintained as well as good sleep.

Mix in HIIT training to continue tour weight loss
  • dryan4362
    Options
    Oh and be ready to het kicked out of PF they dont like fot or strong people at their gyms
  • dryan4362
    Options
    If it's possible, look at getting a PT for a few sessions? The most important part of weight training is having correct form. No good doing sqauts or deadlifts if you're not sure on how to do it correctly - to avoid injury and get max benefit. They could also help you with a program and you could arrange a session every few weeks to change your program. There are some good free programs on pages like bodybuilding.com but I'd only suggest using a generic program once you know what you're doing with each exercise. Kudos on the weight loss so far!

Great advice be sure to get a form check thats sooooo key pr you will eventually get hurt or stop getting strong
  • dryan4362
    Options

^^^this! I have done both programs, right now doing stronglifts 5x5. There are groups on here for both programs for any questions or support. But you need heavy free weights, and NOT a smith machine. Check out Craigslist for equipment you can use at home, or try to find a real gym.

In my opinion syronglifts 5x5 is the best linear program for strenth there is out there esp for beginners.... once u get it down try madcow.... AVOID Smolov lol you need to be psychotic to do it
  • pzarnosky
    pzarnosky Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts are a great way to start.. I lift heavy and have a pretty good idea what you're looking for. When I started lifting (seriously) around a year ago I had pretty minimal experience in the weight room. My 2 top suggestions are 1. Check out Bodybuilding.com, it is a FANTASTIC resource with a lot of great information. They have a lot of free lifting plans that can be based off of your experience level and goals. They also have short clips for pretty much every lift out there that explain proper form as well as great recipes and nutrition/supplementation articles. #2. Pay attention to other people at the gym, and by people, i mean the guys (and gals) in the weightroom who clearly have been doing it awhile. Pay attention to the lifts they do and use it! You can learn a lot from other people. You won't lift as much weight, but the lifts are still great.

I hope this helps you out some! It can be intimidating being a girl on the weight side of the gym. It becomes an addiction though :smile: Feel free to add me, i love talking lifting!
  • meg_balh
    meg_balh Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your help!! It is much appreciated. I plan on checking out the training schedule at planet fitness and see what I can get started on while I'm there and then when I don't think that it's enough, move on up to a better gym. I also plan on checking out New Rules of Lifting for Women since a couple of you mentioned it. Hopefully we'll see some muscles popping up in the near future! Lol
  • Robbnva
    Robbnva Posts: 590 Member
    Options

PF doesn't have weights?
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Robbnva wrote: »

PF doesn't have weights?

They don’t have squat racks, and from what I’ve heard, they don’t allow deadlifts. I’ve even read an article where the kicked a woman out of a club because she was too intimidating (read buff/strong).

• RodHudson1229
    RodHudson1229 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Ya know what LesMills classes are awesome and you get a great workout. Body Pump Body Combat RPM and I am sure they have some form of Yoga also. All of these classes are awesome and will build muscle and core strength. Most gyms including PF offer LesMills ask your front desk about it.<<<<<<
  • Robbnva
    Robbnva Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Robbnva wrote: »

PF doesn't have weights?

They don’t have squat racks, and from what I’ve heard, they don’t allow deadlifts. I’ve even read an article where the kicked a woman out of a club because she was too intimidating (read buff/strong).

picard-facepalm.jpg?1240934151