HELP!!!! I've started binge eating after losing 5lbs

Options
Knowing that I've lost weight, has caused me to get so excited that one cheat day has turned into many cheat days. Now I'm trying to get back on track.

Replies

• alyxfey
    alyxfey Posts: 1
    Options
    It happens to the best of us. Keep logging food and get back on track the best you can. If you're not perfect it's okay, but keep working towards that goal :)
  • drslee123
    drslee123 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    alyxfey wrote: »
    It happens to the best of us. Keep logging food and get back on track the best you can. If you're not perfect it's okay, but keep working towards that goal :)

How do I get back on track when I'm constantly around family that eats junk food and fat food?
  • nataliejenkins123
    nataliejenkins123 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    drslee123 wrote: »
    Knowing that I've lost weight, has caused me to get so excited that one cheat day has turned into many cheat days. Now I'm trying to get back on track.
    I'm with you!!!!! In fact once I have a tiny slip up I cannot control myself and it turns into a weekend of totall bingeing!!! Add me if you like and maybe we can help each other through???
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    I try not to keep the binge food in the house. If you are not the one who shops for groceries, maybe have a conversation with the person who does. Otherwise, if you have no control and no say over that, just know that you will have slip ups from time to time; get rid of the guilt associated with food and tell yourself that no food is bad- if you eat a piece of cake, log it and fit it into your calories for the day. After a while you can just eat what you like in moderation and when you eat healthier in general you will start to crave the healthy stuff and eating junk will make you feel bleh (at least for me it does).
  • drslee123
    Options
    I try not to keep the binge food in the house. If you are not the one who shops for groceries, maybe have a conversation with the person who does. Otherwise, if you have no control and no say over that, just know that you will have slip ups from time to time; get rid of the guilt associated with food and tell yourself that no food is bad- if you eat a piece of cake, log it and fit it into your calories for the day. After a while you can just eat what you like in moderation and when you eat healthier in general you will start to crave the healthy stuff and eating junk will make you feel bleh (at least for me it does).

Thanks so much for the advice. That was very helpful
  • coney724
    coney724 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I do the same! I slack off a bit and once I have a cheat meal/day, I end up doing it for a few days and then a week. I agree with the others to keep tempting foods out of the house. If you do crave something, just have a little bit. Being too strict can also backfire. Have a little bit if you crave something. Remember to look at the whole week instead of focusing on the day/days you messed up.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Is your calorie goal too low which is causing you to be very hungry or feel deprived? You may be able to eat a little bit more daily in calories and still lost weight. Do you allow for "treats" in small amounts? If you plan for treats and count them in your calories, you may not be so inclined to binge.

That said, some people can't "have just one" especially in the beginning. If there are certain foods that you can't have just one, then avoid being near it. If someone offers you some, just say no. I find that if I just don't start eating it, that is easier than stopping.

As for getting back on track, you have to just decide, this is the time, now. And get yourself back on track. If you are already derailed for today, don't say "I already blew it, I'll start tomorrow". Because that leads to "I already blew it for this week, I'll start Monday"..... You just need to power through it and do it. Because nobody else can do it for you.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    This is why I decided to stop having cheat days. I found that for me, incorporating all the types of food into my daily meals was much better than having it all on one day. Eventually by doing that change, I ended up having less cravings for things because I could have them whenever. I didn't have to wait for it til cheat day. The way I saw it was this - for example, instead of eating a whole chocolate bar one day and going over my calories, I started eating a fourth of it today, a fourth tomorrow, another fourth another day... and it fits much better into my daily calories than one bar in one day. AND instead of having chocolate ONE day, I'm having chocolate 4 days. In the end I do eat the same amount of chocolate calories, but I enjoyed it for more days instead of just one. What I had to have was self control and stick to eating that 1/4 of a bar. Whatever "extras" (candy, chips, etc) I want to have, I'll get my serving on a plate or whatever and put the rest away immediately (out of sight, out of mind). :flowerforyou:
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    You will learn to stop soon enough when you get frustrated with losing the same 5 pounds over and over again...

True results come with your true desire to make changes! I wish I could will off the fat that is still hanging around, but it does not work that way... darn it...
  • krystlestar00
    krystlestar00 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    keep saying to those around you, "I'm not eating that" and have clear motivations for why you want to lose weight. My husband has been unhelpful with food at times. For example, he stopped to get himself cupcakes at a bakery and (i think trying to be nice) got me one that i really like and that he doesn't like, so i changed my meals around for the rest of the day and ate it. it was actually kinda gross and way too sweet. so i directly told him do not buy me anymore cupcake because i won't eat them. i make specific food for myself, and then i'll make different food for my sons and my husband to eat. i'm limiting the carby food in my diet because i know that works for me. i get about 120-150 carbs a day and i don't like to eat carb heavy dinners. my diets before usually lasted a few days to a week before i quit and this one is going to stick because i have a couple of motivations. 1. lose weight before 32nd bday in june and 2. for my daughters 1 year old pictures in june. you have to find the strength and willpower in yourself to be able to say no. it can be difficult in a junk food centered family, but hopefully they will back off from trying to tempt you if you keep saying no.
  • neander40
    Options
    This is why I decided to stop having cheat days. I found that for me, incorporating all the types of food into my daily meals was much better than having it all on one day. Eventually by doing that change, I ended up having less cravings for things because I could have them whenever. I didn't have to wait for it til cheat day. The way I saw it was this - for example, instead of eating a whole chocolate bar one day and going over my calories, I started eating a fourth of it today, a fourth tomorrow, another fourth another day... and it fits much better into my daily calories than one bar in one day. AND instead of having chocolate ONE day, I'm having chocolate 4 days. In the end I do eat the same amount of chocolate calories, but I enjoyed it for more days instead of just one. What I had to have was self control and stick to eating that 1/4 of a bar. Whatever "extras" (candy, chips, etc) I want to have, I'll get my serving on a plate or whatever and put the rest away immediately (out of sight, out of mind). :flowerforyou:

Great idea!
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Time for Round 2 then! It can take time to learn what you like that fits in your goals, and it can take time to learn to ignore temptation around you and say 'no" when you're offered. The more you practice the better you will get! Promise :)
  • bhealthy1516
    bhealthy1516 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    drslee123 wrote: »

not that misery loves company but, I thought I was the only one that did that I was successful for a few days I've been successful for a few weeks, then boom
    you can add me as a friend if you want maybe we could try and help each other, unless you'd rather somebody that's doing good cuz I'm not doing too good
  • jenmovies
    jenmovies Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    It's a mindset too. You aren't really having a cheat day, you are punishing yourself. The brief satisfaction and relief of eating whatever you want is not worth the long-term sadness over how you look and feel. It's also not worth poor health. I agree to eat what you want, in moderation. Eat at a deficit, exercise, and eat all the bad foods as long as they fit into your calorie count. (I have a snack drawer at work full of chocolate. haha)
    I had to change my way of thinking first though. You probably have this idea ingrained that a reward is pizza, chocolate, cupcakes, or whatever you really enjoy. Those things are actually harmful, and you are doing the opposite of rewarding yourself. You are damaging your hard work to date.
    I am about half-way through my weight loss, and I struggle with this now and then. But, if you keep reminding yourself that those things are NOT rewards, it might help. Good luck! :DB)

PS If you need rewards, non-food ones are awesome! My last reward was a fancy new suit because I lost enough weight to fit into it before my friend's wedding. Or, they can be cheaper things like a mini-pedi etc. Whatever suits you and your budget!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Stop that
  • jenmovies
    jenmovies Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Another option is to try and recruit your family members, cult style! :wink: Offer to cook meals, and just make healthy options. Serve yourself a smaller portion. Or just get out of the house and go for a walk, to get away from all the delicious smells!
  • Meliow
    Meliow Posts: 2
    Options
    This absolutely may not apply here but binge eating can become very dangerous. It's now categorized as a disorder (BED) - I'm not saying you fall into the requirements of the diagnosis I simply state this as caution. I'm very familiar with this cycle as I am a recovering bulimic. Calorie counting/ deficit eating can lead to a disordered eating cycle. There are a lot of trainers & dieticians focusing on eating real foods. Not all calories are created equal. A good chocolate is ok to eat, cocoa is very nutritious! I digress, I comment here because developing a healthy relationship with food should be very much part of this journey to health. Also, I am not an expert not do I pretend to be.

• CaliforniaRower
    CaliforniaRower Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    So @drslee123, I am going to say something stern. I was EXACTLY like that for the last several years. I'd lose a few lbs, throw myself a little ice cream and cake party, and then be pissed when I weighed what I had weighed a few weeks earlier. Drat! It was only 12 days ago when I committed to MFP that I said, "Nope. Not anymore. This time, I'm sticking with it." I don't really believe either of us has an eating disorder, we just aren't/weren't 100% committed. And that's OK. Nobody's making you do anything. Maybe I'll snap tomorrow. Maybe you'll get on it tomorrow. But here's what I do know for sure: it's more mental than physical and we are in charge! You go, girl! Get back on it. You know you can.
  • CaliforniaRower
    CaliforniaRower Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    Time for Round 2 then! It can take time to learn what you like that fits in your goals, and it can take time to learn to ignore temptation around you and say 'no" when you're offered. The more you practice the better you will get! Promise :)

She's SO right!

• drslee123
    Options
    So @drslee123, I am going to say something stern. I was EXACTLY like that for the last several years. I'd lose a few lbs, throw myself a little ice cream and cake party, and then be pissed when I weighed what I had weighed a few weeks earlier. Drat! It was only 12 days ago when I committed to MFP that I said, "Nope. Not anymore. This time, I'm sticking with it." I don't really believe either of us has an eating disorder, we just aren't/weren't 100% committed. And that's OK. Nobody's making you do anything. Maybe I'll snap tomorrow. Maybe you'll get on it tomorrow. But here's what I do know for sure: it's more mental than physical and we are in charge! You go, girl! Get back on it. You know you can.

I'm definitely going to get back on it. Hopefully tomorrow :-) thanks for the support