Breakfast Question

Options
So...I wake up everyday at 6am, get dressed, and go to work. I'm usually at work by 8am. I'm not really all that hungry in the morning until around 10. My lunch break is at 10:30 so I usually skip breakfast but then eat "lunch" at 10:30. I then have snacks to hold me over for the rest of the day until dinner at about 6pm. My question is...is it ok to wait until 10:30 to eat "brunch" or should I be eating something when I wake up? Does it matter? (I eat about 5-6 times throughout the day. Yogurt, fruit, nuts, pretzels, etc...) thanks!

Replies

• Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter for weight loss.
  • oalsaigh
    oalsaigh Posts: 1
    Options
    It does matter. You need to start your metabolism off quickly. Eat within 30 minutes of waking up.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    No, it doesn't matter for weight loss. There's some old-fashioned advice -- primarily designed for people who don't or aren't willing to count calories -- about eating breakfast because some people make the mistake of skipping it altogether and put themselves in a position of spending a lot of the day super-hungry and then overeating for the rest of the day. Don't do that, obviously.

But it sounds like that's not a danger for you.
  • cogsci
    cogsci Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    According to Dr. Mercola eating should be limited to the time between 11AM and 7PM to give your body time to metabolize the food, without interrupting the process through new supply. Don't worry, you're good!
  • cwatt001
    cwatt001 Posts: 2 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I think it really depends on how your body seems to be reacting. I found that eating right away for me didn't work with my schedule, similar to you. What works best for me is to put half a tablespoon of coconut oil in my coffee just to get a little fat for my brain and then eat around 11. I've had a lot of success with this method (my goal is weight loss as well and while I'm new here, Ive lost about 30 lbs on my own). But it's so important for you to listen to what your body is asking for as well as paying attention to your results. If you aren't getting the results you want, then maybe try adding something light right when you wake up. Best of luck!
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Okay, I'd first have to ask...does it matter as far as what? Plain ol basic weight loss? No... there are no optimum times you should or shouldnt eat to maximize weight loss.

But if youre talking micros and muscle building and all that other stuff I have no clue about, then yeah, I have no clue :blush:

Anyway, back to plain ol weight loss...if you are on track with eating at or close to your deficit, your meal times are workign for you and you are progressing, then don't sweat it. Id imagine it could be a problem if you dont eat breakfast, then make up for it by over eating come lunch, dinner and with snacks, but if that isnt happening to you, then I cant really see an issue.

• MyiahRose
    MyiahRose Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    oalsaigh wrote: »
    It does matter. You need to start your metabolism off quickly. Eat within 30 minutes of waking up.

Sir, its time to log off.
  • MyiahRose
    MyiahRose Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    cogsci wrote: »
    According to Dr. Mercola eating should be limited to the time between 11AM and 7PM to give your body time to metabolize the food, without interrupting the process through new supply. Don't worry, you're good!

Your body metabolizes food 24 hours a day. It doesnt matter what time you eat.

• thawkins555
    thawkins555 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks!! I've just always heard the "don't skip breakfast!" And "eat a big breakfast" but just wasn't sure. I'm trying my darnedest to eat when I'm hungry and ignore all urges to eat when I'm just bored. Thanks again!!
  • kjurassic
    kjurassic Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Who's Dr. Mercola?!!
  • Reke2015
    Reke2015 Posts: 1
    Options
    I have the same problem, and it is extremely important to eat breakfast as it starts up your metabolism and keeps you full, if you really aren't that hungry you could have a piece of fruit for breakfast, I just go with some oatmeal, but it's important to eat something for breakfast
  • mittnerk
    mittnerk Posts: 2
    Options
    kjurassic wrote: »
    Who's Dr. Mercola?!!

Thats what I'm saying!!!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    oalsaigh wrote: »

Your metabolism never stops until you die

OP, meal timing is a personal preference. Some people can eat as soon as they get up, others can't stomach eating in the morning.
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Reke2015 wrote: »
    I have the same problem, and it is extremely important to eat breakfast as it starts up your metabolism and keeps you full, if you really aren't that hungry you could have a piece of fruit for breakfast, I just go with some oatmeal, but it's important to eat something for breakfast

Im going to say the exact opposite happens to me... if I dont eat breakfast, I usually dont feel all that hungry all day long, then come evening Im *ravenous* eat all the food and then some. Thats how I gained weight btw!

If I do eat breakfast, then Im starving my lunch, and again by dinner. Difference is, Im breaking up my meals throughout the day and when I eat, Im good until the next few hours when Im ready to eat again.

Also, Ive heard it from a lot of people that they dont like to eat breakfast, because then they are so much hungier during the day and "dont have time to eat'. so they avoid the whole get hungry thing, by not eating anything til later in the day. (most people I hear this from are also over weight).

So yeah, does not keep one full lol does the exact opposite (in my experience) and my go to breakfast is oatmeal. But by lunch..Im READY for my lunch!

Even saying all that, still comes down to eating at a deficit to lose weight. I just know, its better for me to eat through out the day in moderated amounts (which is what the OP is doing anyway) instead of all of my days calories plus some in one meal.