Not gaining weight !

Options
2»

Replies

• 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    kc186 wrote: »
    Thanks to the people that actually helped , I will try some of your ideas !
    I had the same problem foreevveerrrrr!!! Then I started drinking ensure plus and it's only 2days and I've already gained a pound! Also doing some workouts to gain muscle will help to.
    and i shell defo try some of that thanks x

This is what you chose to find helpful? I can gain 5 lb over the course of a day, as can most people.

You need to eat more, consistently, if you want to gain weight. You haven't achieved a surplus yet, so eat more! If ensure and brown rice gets you there, great but any food will do it.

And yes, @bedtime444‌ if someone was not losing I'd tell them to eat less.

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    bedtime444 wrote: »
    Jimmer all I'm saying is eat more needs elaborating on eat more isn't helpful ... Eat more what? Meal plans would have been helpful, food ideas helpful not just eat more and ur comment was really helpful saying to eat over the estimate of this app as I found that helpful myself x

The first three comments on this post asked for more details to try and give more specific advice. Without those details, it's incredibly hard to give meal plans or food ideas. If the OP wants something more than "eat more calories" then answering those questions would probably help.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Jimmer all I'm saying is eat more needs elaborating on eat more isn't helpful ... Eat more what? Meal plans would have been helpful, food ideas helpful not just eat more and ur comment was really helpful saying to eat over the estimate of this app as I found that helpful myself x

Calories? Is there a trick question I'm missing? Types of food don't matter, but if the OP is getting full, then they need to concentrate on less volume and more calorie dense foods. There are no magical meal plans that make you gain; just a calorie surplus.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Excuse the rudeness of certain ppl "eat more" jez I'm sure if the shoe was on the other foot u wouldnt be saying eat less to an obese person would u :/ anyway kc have u been to the doctors? You may be burning it off to fast maybe it's a metabolism issue? Try eating more whole grain,whole wheat, brown rice x

so its rude to tell OP to eat more when she is in the gaining forum and says that she is not gaining?

really???

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

bagels, pasta, ice cream, steak, pork, rice, cookies, etc..

is that nice enough?
  • busytexasmama
    Options
    I just want to add my two cents worth here, for what it's worth. I have a son who has a very hard time gaining weight. At 20 years old, he cannot get into the Air Force yet because he needs to gain weight. He's been told no twice now, but he's determined to gain weight! He is about 5'3, and they weighed him the first time at 99 pounds. If I could lose mine and make it stick to him, I certainly would!! He eats and burns, eats and burns, just sitting still. He tried building muscle, and still didn't gain a pound (probably because he didn't up his calories enough). He tried on his own for about a year, weighing faithfully, but never gaining enough to keep him over 100 lbs. Went to the doctor for advice (which we should have done FIRST, lol)! Dr. told him to drink three Ensure's daily, along with his normal dietary intake of food, to gain weight. He is doing this, faithfully, and has gained a total of about 4 lbs. so far in about a month and a half. He is thrilled with this result, as nothing else worked for him. Four lbs may not seem a lot to some, but he feels his future hangs on those pounds! ;) He prefers the Ensure Plus, as it has 350 calories a serving (one bottle) versus the Ensure (250 calories I think). It's working for him, and he hopes to be at his goal weight of at least 107 by April so he can try again to get into the Air Force. Like others here have said, it's upping the calorie intake but sometimes just more food won't do it. It didn't for my son, and he out-eats my other two sons...but he's the only one with this issue. He's slowly, and steadily, getting there. Hopefully, this will help you get there too. Good luck to you! :smile:
  • kc186
    kc186 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I just want to add my two cents worth here, for what it's worth. I have a son who has a very hard time gaining weight. At 20 years old, he cannot get into the Air Force yet because he needs to gain weight. He's been told no twice now, but he's determined to gain weight! He is about 5'3, and they weighed him the first time at 99 pounds. If I could lose mine and make it stick to him, I certainly would!! He eats and burns, eats and burns, just sitting still. He tried building muscle, and still didn't gain a pound (probably because he didn't up his calories enough). He tried on his own for about a year, weighing faithfully, but never gaining enough to keep him over 100 lbs. Went to the doctor for advice (which we should have done FIRST, lol)! Dr. told him to drink three Ensure's daily, along with his normal dietary intake of food, to gain weight. He is doing this, faithfully, and has gained a total of about 4 lbs. so far in about a month and a half. He is thrilled with this result, as nothing else worked for him. Four lbs may not seem a lot to some, but he feels his future hangs on those pounds! ;) He prefers the Ensure Plus, as it has 350 calories a serving (one bottle) versus the Ensure (250 calories I think). It's working for him, and he hopes to be at his goal weight of at least 107 by April so he can try again to get into the Air Force. Like others here have said, it's upping the calorie intake but sometimes just more food won't do it. It didn't for my son, and he out-eats my other two sons...but he's the only one with this issue. He's slowly, and steadily, getting there. Hopefully, this will help you get there too. Good luck to you! :smile:

Im glad to hear your son finally found something that worked ! I shell be DEFO giving this a try ! Thankyou
  • bobthemeh
    Options
    Don't eat so much filler foods like bread. Now you need to eat bread for a good source of protien but try to stay away from rolls and stuff that goes through really quick
  • neaneacc
    neaneacc Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    They do sell mass gainer supplements, which are very calorie dense shakes to help add in more calories. I personally have never needed to gain weight, but if you are having trouble increasing your weight it might be worth the effort. Most of the shakes have 600 or more calories per serving and they are loaded with protein because they are designed to help bodybuilders put on weight. Just a thought in case you didn't know about it.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Look, a peanut butter and jelly sandwich (I assume I'm talking to a mostly American audience, please substitute jam if not) comes in at between 350-500 cals (depending on bread type and amount of PB/spread/jam used).

Make 2 PB&J sandwiches a day and eat them in between meals as a snack. It's an easy way to add 800-1000 cals to your day without even trying.

Spending money on "ensure plus" shakes (whatever they are) is not necessary. You need to lay down the eating habits to gain. After a week or two, your body will expect more calories and will make you appropriately hungry - you've just got to make an honest start and dedicate yourself to eating like this for 2 weeks.

Call me suspicious, but is "ensure plus" some kind of MLM deal?
  • kc186
    Options
    jimmmer wrote: »
    Look, a peanut butter and jelly sandwich (I assume I'm talking to a mostly American audience, please substitute jam if not) comes in at between 350-500 cals (depending on bread type and amount of PB/spread/jam used).

Make 2 PB&J sandwiches a day and eat them in between meals as a snack. It's an easy way to add 800-1000 cals to your day without even trying.

Spending money on "ensure plus" shakes (whatever they are) is not necessary. You need to lay down the eating habits to gain. After a week or two, your body will expect more calories and will make you appropriately hungry - you've just got to make an honest start and dedicate yourself to eating like this for 2 weeks.

Im not american plus can't eat peanut butter as im allergic
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

Fair enough.

Two slices of bread, 14g spread, 30g cheddar is about 400ish cals.

Easy.

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

The point is that you don't need to buy a special product. Add some calorie dense foods between meals. The ensure drinks help because they are calories in addition to food the boy is already eating. Milkshakes (or a shake with milk, oats, cocoa, fruit, or whatever ingredients you want) would do the same thing.

The answer is to eat more. If you're full; drink more. Fruit juice, shakes, whatever, but the answer is to take in more calories.
  • Eudoxy
    Eudoxy Posts: 391 Member
    Options

Ensure is a drink with nutrients and high calories that is used in hospitals, etc, for people with no appetite, or that can't eat much for whatever reason. It tends to be easier for people with no appetite to get down.
  • kc186
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

The point is that you don't need to buy a special product. Add some calorie dense foods between meals. The ensure drinks help because they are calories in addition to food the boy is already eating. Milkshakes (or a shake with milk, oats, cocoa, fruit, or whatever ingredients you want) would do the same thing.

The answer is to eat more. If you're full; drink more. Fruit juice, shakes, whatever, but the answer is to take in more calories.

Thankyou I'll try that .