Pre workout shake?

Options
i have been so tired the last week as I'm constantly on the go. This morning my partner gave me a scoop of his pre workout for the gym tonight to keep my energy levels up! I'm not 100% sure about it lol. What is everyone else's opinion? X

Replies

• monsterbeans
    monsterbeans Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I tend to go to the gym straight after work (my job is a mixture of active and desk work), and I've recently started having a protein shake before I go. Whether its in my head or not, I do feel like I have more energy and oomph.
  • madchapper
    madchapper Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Preworkout and protein shakes are different. Preworkout are loaded with stimulants to give you energy so you can workout harder..get a few extra reps...get the blood pumping through you. I use them. You have to cycle them on and off or your body adapts and you need to take more and more to get the desired effect
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Sure. As long as it's not one of those huge calorie loaded shakes that will ruin your macros, drink up.
  • 30mphmike
    30mphmike Posts: 28
    Options
    I take C4 pre workout before every workout and highly recommend it!! The one thing I would caution is the amount you take on your first try. I would take half a scoop just to see if you can handle it your heart will race a little.. My 2 cents
  • amuraoka
    amuraoka Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Be careful trying a new preworkout for the first time at night! I like trying new ones before morning workouts. I've had too many nights where I take preworkout at 6 or 7 pm and then I'm up until 3am
  • NeedANewFocus
    NeedANewFocus Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    30mphmike wrote: »
    I take C4 pre workout before every workout and highly recommend it!! The one thing I would caution is the amount you take on your first try. I would take half a scoop just to see if you can handle it your heart will race a little.. My 2 cents

Agreed! I've been taking no xplode recently and love it. Definitely test your tolerance in a conservative manner.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I tried C4 pre workout once or twice. It made me feel itchy all over. I usually just do a protein shake with Creatine and either a caffeine pill, or with Crystal light energy for a pre workout.
  • AussieDragonfly
    AussieDragonfly Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    as the others have said a pre workout can be a good thing I find it gets you going and then the rest clicks in...exactly what its meant to do but yes just be aware if you take it later in the day it may keep you 'going' at night when your trying to wind down...there are many around if this is what you want to do I suggest going to a supplement shop or fitness shop that deals in these things and have a chat with them they will steer you in the right direction depending on what you want to get out of something like this :)
  • bobthemeh
    Options
    I really like the sample of C4 I got in the mail one time. I wouldn't recommend herbalife preworkout. During my time as a power lifter I found guys using honey( yes honey straight from the little plastic bear jar) and I found it to give you a little boost. If you try it once and don't like it I wouldn't disagree with you. Lol
  • tooheyz
    tooheyz Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I also use c4. it helps to get the one or two few more reps in - the reps that make all the difference. plus, if i didn't take pre-workout, i'll probably die while training at 5am!
  • Pelamblue
    Pelamblue Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Don't spend your money on all these pre workouts!! XPLODE this and BOOST that,,,it's all a money spinning load of bollocks. (It says its good... Therfore it must be.....oh I feel so much more alive..# placebo effect). Caffeine is the main ingredient on almost all of those shakes... Just drink a cup of black coffee. Studies have shown that this is just as good if not better than all of these pre workouts.
    Incidentally protien, should not be taken immediately before a gym session. Take it morning, after your session and before bed, none training days just drop the after workout one. If you train in the morning then leave a minimum of one hour after you have taken it.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Pelamblue wrote: »
    Don't spend your money on all these pre workouts!! XPLODE this and BOOST that,,,it's all a money spinning load of bollocks. (It says its good... Therfore it must be.....oh I feel so much more alive..# placebo effect). Caffeine is the main ingredient on almost all of those shakes... Just drink a cup of black coffee. Studies have shown that this is just as good if not better than all of these pre workouts.
    Incidentally protien, should not be taken immediately before a gym session. Take it morning, after your session and before bed, none training days just drop the after workout one. If you train in the morning then leave a minimum of one hour after you have taken it.

Agree, pre-workout supplements are mainly caffeine, black coffee will get you there if you need something to get you going.

• pzarnosky
    pzarnosky Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    dave4d wrote: »
    I tried C4 pre workout once or twice. It made me feel itchy all over. I usually just do a protein shake with Creatine and either a caffeine pill, or with Crystal light energy for a pre workout.

The itchy feeling is from Beta Alanine, an amino acid found in most pre workouts that helps with endurance. It's totally normal and nothing to be worried about.

Pre-workouts are a preference thing. If you prefer black coffee before then go that route. Personally I take C4 or Shatter before lifting. I feel more alert, and there's a lot more "stuff" packed into a preworkout supp than black coffee. Just make sure if you do start using pre workout that you start slow with one scoop.
  • 30mphmike
    30mphmike Posts: 28
    edited March 2015
    Options
    pzarnosky wrote: »
    dave4d wrote: »

The itchy feeling is from Beta Alanine, an amino acid found in most pre workouts that helps with endurance. It's totally normal and nothing to be worried about.

Pre-workouts are a preference thing. If you prefer black coffee before then go that route. Personally I take C4 or Shatter before lifting. I feel more alert, and there's a lot more "stuff" packed into a preworkout supp than black coffee. Just make sure if you do start using pre workout that you start slow with one scoop.

EXCACTLY- my pre-workout has lots in it heres a facts page- I add no3 and another gram of creatine with my vitamins in the am and am at the gym or doing cardio at 5 am. If I drank coffee I would be in the---- well lets not go there---

http://www.cellucor.com/products/50-c4-fourth-generation#faqs