40 pounds or more to lose?

Options
Anyone out there with a goal of 40 pounds to lose like me? Looking for advice on how long that might take....

Replies

• Mandi98U
    Mandi98U Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    It depends on the person and how much you originally weigh and what you set for your weekly weight loss goal. Plus you shouldn't put a time on creating a healthy life style

• Giantsfanatic4life
    Giantsfanatic4life Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    My goal is to lose 40 pounds and I've lost a little over 16 pounds in a month and a half. I do cardio 4-5 times a week as well as lifting heavy right after cardio. I'm hoping to avoid the dreaded plateau by changing up my cardio routine and switching up my muscle groupings.
  • KarenE86
    KarenE86 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I also have 40+ lbs to lose, feel free to add me so we can support one another
  • AlexisMichele93
    AlexisMichele93 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Hi! My goal is also about 40 pounds. I started at 205 on here (208 total) and I want to get down to about 165ish. I'm 5"8 so I think that will be a good weight for me. I'm sure it will take a few months for me, but that will be different for everyone. Some people may lose 2+ pounds per week when they start off and some may have weeks where they lose none. I would give yourself at least a handful of months to get there and I wouldn't beat myself up if it takes longer! The important part is just getting there at all no matter how long it takes, and I am sure you will do great and reach your goal in no time. :) Best of luck to you!
  • kandell
    kandell Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Hoping to lose about 45 more pounds. If I could stick to a net of 1200 calories, I'd be down 30 pounds by the 4th of July. Unfortunately 1200 is tough to stick to XP

But it's better to focus on gradual, sustainable weight loss. It's easier to maintain your weight once you get there and you're less likely to have loose skin.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    My goal was to lose 40, it took me a year. My starting weight was 175.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    and I'm 5 feet 5 inches.
  • phattygirlslim
    phattygirlslim Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am looking at losing a minimum of 85 lbs. 100+ would be great for my health, but 85 would make me happy. I am with you! Feel free to add I am just getting started.
  • alwinter09
    alwinter09 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm looking to lose 75, myself
  • njsehic
    njsehic Posts: 1
    Options
    My goal is to loose 55 pounds. I was diagnosed with underactive thyroid and after i had my son i keept on gaining. I am on a salad diet and already lost 5 pounds in one week.

• mhanispeedy
    mhanispeedy Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I lost 6 lbs in 8 days , i think that was all water weight because i just started working out , my goal is to loose 40 lbs by june
  • johnfraser95
    johnfraser95 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    kandell wrote: »
    Hoping to lose about 45 more pounds. If I could stick to a net of 1200 calories, I'd be down 30 pounds by the 4th of July. Unfortunately 1200 is tough to stick to XP

But it's better to focus on gradual, sustainable weight loss. It's easier to maintain your weight once you get there and you're less likely to have loose skin.

Be careful with only 1200 calories...your body will starve itself, and as soon as you raise your calorie intake you'll gain the weight back and maybe more with a slower metabolism...try eating 1500 and burning 300 to exercise...just trying to be helpful
  • overin2015
    overin2015 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I am looking to lose 60 pounds give or take depending on how it looks on me and how easy it is to maintain. I am tracking goals in segments at a time so that I can be ok if I stop at a higher weight than I was in my 20s. That said - if someone asked you when you were desperate to lose weight "How would you feel to be 5 pounds smaller in 5 weeks" you would most likely say "be thrilled". When we start making good choices however we want it to go faster. We want the pressure to end. 1 pound a week isn't a huge amount and you may not notice it at all but it is one less pound you are carrying than last week. I am working to look at things this way. If I would chill out and be happy with 1 pound a week I could be 50+ pounds lighter in a year. If I had started in Jan of 2015 - I would be 6 pounds lighter by Valentine's Day, 12 pounds lighter by Easter, 20 lbs lighter by Memorial Day, 25 lbs lighter by July 4, 32 lbs down by the start of the school year mid August, 42lbs lighter by Halloween, 46 by Thanksgiving and 50 by Christmas! That puts it in perspective for me.
  • kimmy27848
    kimmy27848 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips. Definitely lots to think about...
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    kimmy27848 wrote: »
    Anyone out there with a goal of 40 pounds to lose like me? Looking for advice on how long that might take....

Me. Over halfway there. I don't care about the 'how long' part.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    You might as well get comfortable, you're going to be in a calorie deficit for several months. I just recently crossed the forty pound mark. I started right at five months ago.
  • ADScott13
    ADScott13 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    kimmy27848 wrote: »

I'm to lose around 80 ultimately but 60 would be amazing! I'm at the beginning of a long journey but I think the best thing all of us can do is to set markers along the way. My first milestone is 20. I'm currently 1 pound down. Here we go!
  • philiplh88
    philiplh88 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have 40 to 50 more to lose. I am curious whether those who have successfully made this journey maintain a steady continual calorie deficit, or if breaks and plateaus aren't actually helpful in ensuring long term sustainability. Having lost ~20 lbs so far, should I maintain a while and plan on two more periods of loss to get to goal, or should I make one big push to get there?
  • hollymorace9
    Options
    I'm trying to lose 45. Down 16.5 in month n half. Sticking to 1000 calories. Hard to meet that. Sometimes only get 900.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to lose 45. Down 16.5 in month n half. Sticking to 1000 calories. Hard to meet that. Sometimes only get 900.

Let's hope you get there before you die.