Day 1 Ketogenic Diet

Options
Needing to loose 40 lbs. Has anyone done ketogenic diet? How successful have you been? Do you exercise daily?

Replies

• antkhamp
    antkhamp Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi,
    I'm doing the Ketogenic I've done it before and dropped a stone in 3 week and another time 2st in a month. This time I'm doing it to try and reverse my type 2 diabetes.
    Great to hear someone else is doing it x
  • antkhamp
    antkhamp Posts: 4
    Options
    Oops sorry I don't and didn't last times exercise daily apart from trying to achieve 10'000 steps every day x
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Some people are really successful with it, for me it was horrible! Try it for yourself and see how you like it. The best diet is the easiest for you to follow. If you find yourself struggling and unhappy, remember that although successful diets differ in details, at their core it's the calories that matter, so it's fine if you don't like it and switch to something else. You will lose weight either way regardless of the way you choose.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i lost 40 pounds and was almost to my goal weight, but i still had chub because i DIDN'T exercise. so you should :)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    resistance training whilst losing weight due to a calorie defecit gives you an amazing body though as it helps preserve your LBM

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    justrad519 wrote: »
    Needing to loose 40 lbs. Has anyone done ketogenic diet? How successful have you been? Do you exercise daily?

Yes. Lost 40 lbs. No - seldom a good idea, rest every other day.
  • yarwell
    Options
    Pu_239 wrote: »
    hmmm... I am "trying" to do it. I done it before with ketostix. That's how i gauged ketosis. But now I am using "ketonix" it's this thing you breath into and it detects acetone in your breath which is a product of ketosis. I still haven't produced a positive result yet and I have been doing it for about a week or so.

Too much protein inhibits ketosis.

My friend also couldn't get a reading on the ketonix, but after blood testing found she was in the 0.5 - 1.0 mmol/l range. Seems some people have different ketone profiles, maybe she was good at converting acetoacetate into beta-hydoxybutyrate and hence didn't create much acetone.
  • yarwell
    Options
    A couple of teaspoons of coconut oil or MCTs should create a few vanity ketones that'll show up on the ketonix, to reassure you it's working :-)

Not aware of any proven effect of aspartame (or diet soda generally) on ketosis. You do see half tales about citrate / citric acid etc. But now you mention it my acetone-free friend is a bit of diet coke addict.
  • YanskaNY
    YanskaNY Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I have done well with it - it accelerates my weight loss, and the super-low carb intake does wonders for my digestive issues (colitis), keeps me from craving carbs and prevents the mood swings I tend to feel when I do eat starchy carbs. My first week of doing it for the first time was huge- a 7 lb loss- but that evens out over subsequent weeks, and it was also a testament to how out of control my eating was prior to going on a plan. That huge of a loss is neither typical nor healthy over time.
    The only issues I have when I am in Ketosis are very odd smelling and frequent urination and bad leg cramps in my lower legs and feet. These are things that happen when I am super-low carbing but they are worth the benefits.
    I have never ttied the ketone sticksbut would like to check that out and measure my levels.

Good luck, all!
  • justrad519
    Options
    YanskaNY wrote: »
    I have done well with it - it accelerates my weight loss, and the super-low carb intake does wonders for my digestive issues (colitis), keeps me from craving carbs and prevents the mood swings I tend to feel when I do eat starchy carbs. My first week of doing it for the first time was huge- a 7 lb loss- but that evens out over subsequent weeks, and it was also a testament to how out of control my eating was prior to going on a plan. That huge of a loss is neither typical nor healthy over time.
    The only issues I have when I am in Ketosis are very odd smelling and frequent urination and bad leg cramps in my lower legs and feet. These are things that happen when I am super-low carbing but they are worth the benefits.
    I have never ttied the ketone sticksbut would like to check that out and measure my levels.

Good luck, all!

• justrad519
    Options
    One of the main things I read is to take a good multi vitamin. Mainly because you deplete a lot of electrolytes, potassium and magnesium. Make sure you add just a little salt helps with leg cramps.
  • wbckwoz
    wbckwoz Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I know nothing about this but my endocrinologist just mentioned it yesterday - anyone recommend any good books/sites for it?
  • yarwell
    Options
    wbckwoz wrote: »
    I know nothing about this but my endocrinologist just mentioned it yesterday - anyone recommend any good books/sites for it?

www.atkins.com has a phased diet if you go for the 20g plan it's going to be ketogenic in Phase 1. http://www.amazon.com/Low-Carbohydrate-Ketogenic-Diet-Manual/dp/1482781255/ is another simple plan.