scale stays the same but i'm losing inches

Shanzstar
Shanzstar Posts: 197
edited September 27 in Fitness and Exercise
I make a goal of working out everyday. Some days i do vinyasa yoga, some days I do cardio with weights. trust me I need to tone up, and i have been toning up but the scale wont budge? I'm starting to get a little worried... Will the scale ever budge or should i not worry about that right now?? anyone have this similar issue? I eat a healthy diet of low carbs, low sugar and high protein and veggies.

Replies

• emfoley2
    emfoley2 Posts: 30 Member
    I went through the same thing when I started doing yoga 3 days a week. Once my metabolism picked up, I started losing a couple of pounds per week. If you are losing inches, you are making great progress.
  • ltf304
    ltf304 Posts: 132 Member
    I can't see your food diary so I'm not sure what you're eating and how many calories you are taking in. First of all, diet is more important then exercise. If you eat unhealthy food consistently and also work out, then chances are the scale won't move. Its all about consistency. You have to be consistent with staying under your calorie goal and try to eat healthy foods as much as possible. There is no reason to have a low carb diet.....you need carbs for energy. It is all about calories in and calories out. If your calorie goal is too low and you're not eating back your exercise calories then that could be a reason you are not losing. Also, you must log every morsel of food or drink that goes in your mouth. You are more then welcome to look at my diary and get ideas on what you should be eating. Now, some days are better then others and I had a 5 day vacation where I didn't eat as well, but other then that, I am fairly consistent. I wear a HRM at the gym so I know exactly how much I am burning and almost always eat back those calories. I lift weights and do cardio 5 days a week and I push myself to the limit. You will see the scale move.....it may just be a matter of changing up your diet and exercise routine. Good luck!! One more thing I thought of-Drink tons of water!! :)
  • ltf304
    Forgot something! Weigh yourself in the morning after you use the restroom. Your weight will always be 2 to 3 pounds more in the evening.....sometimes more.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    That will happen. That's why it's important to not only pay attention to the scale. Taking your measurements is also very important. And even then, sometimes your body just resists. Try not to let it discourage you and keep at it!
  • Shanzstar
    Thanks for your advice. I know "low carb" has a bad rap with most ppl but I truely believe in it. Carbs turn to sugar and sugar turns to fat more easily than anyone realizes. I was put on a lower carb diet by my doctor and I have lost 40lbs. I'm now down to the last 20-25. i'm on a two week sugar cleanse right now. This helps jump start my metabolisim and breaks the sugar "addiction" I aquired over the winter months. You wouldnt believe how sweet a banana taste after you've done this. I'm new to this site and I will be following the calorie counter as soon as i'm done with my cleanse. I do believe in healthy carbs and a truely balanced diet. i dont believe in depriving or low fat. Mostly, I believe in getting off sugar.
  • Shanzstar
    yes! I need to drink more water! I will look into the hrm. I think that would be a big help. thanks for telling me. :)
  • ltf304
    I drink tons of water!! It flushes out all the sodium which can lead to water weight. I would definitely get an HRM. Its the only way to know exactly how many calories you are burning. The machines at the gym are way off and anything else you do is just guessing. I would suggest a Polar hrm or a Garmin forerunner. I have the Garmin and I love it. Don't get anything that doesn't come with a chest strap. All the others aren't accurate.
  • Shanzstar
    yeah i think that would make me go WoW I worked that hard??!! i'm going today to check them out and hopefully buy one.
This discussion has been closed.