Where do I start lifting on my own?

Options
Hi all.
I have been doing group training that focuses some in weights, and cardio. I want to begin lifting properly and heavily, and can no longer afford training. Any suggestions on how to begin lifting on my own?

Replies

• higgster23
    higgster23 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Start lifting weights you're comfortable with to build confidence and strength. Never be afraid to ask for a spot is the main one and don't be afraid to fail. Set out your training plan before hand and set targets. In a few weeks you'll be fine
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    A good beginning resource is Starting Strength, 3rd edition, by Mark Rippetoe. Not only is the book incredibly comprehensive when it comes to form, but there are also a huge number of videos of his demonstrations on Youtube, as well as a large and active web site (startingstrength.com) with a great forum for finding answers to specific questions.
  • Pelamblue
    Pelamblue Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    higgster23 wrote: »
    Start lifting weights you're comfortable with to build confidence and strength. Never be afraid to ask for a spot is the main one and don't be afraid to fail. Set out your training plan before hand and set targets. In a few weeks you'll be fine
    Couldn't of put it better. Never be afraid to ask people for advice you will find they will be more than willing to help.
    I train on my own and on my heavy weeks and always ask randoms for a spot. Nobody has ever told me to do one.
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Cryptonomnomicon Posts: 848 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/find-a-plan.html

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Starting_Strength_Wiki

ETA: If you do not have a spotter for certain lifts, leave a couple of reps in the tank to be on the safe side.
  • SamberryC
    SamberryC Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear it. Start with what you're comfortable then work your way up.
    Get into a routine. Write down your goals and keep track of your progress.
    Everyone at my gym is happy to spot me if I ask, I imagine it would be the same at yours.

All the Best NiqueKristan, You can do it.