Cholesterol numbers moving the wrong way on low carb/ high protein diet

Options

Replies

• SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Throwing this out to you, since my dh had a heart attack in 2012 & a triple bypass at 45, due to clogged arteries from his abnormally high cholesterol.

He goes to a "lipid clinic" for his cholesterol now. He has what they call metabolic syndrome. His cholesterol readings were very high when he was in his 20's and would be anywhere from 300-500.

He would also get pain from statins.

Right now he is taking fish oil and a statin which seems to be OK, since having a triple bypass. Hmmmm....

My 2 cents on this cholesterol matter is that if you have had abnormally high readings most of your life they should do a heart cath test. He had stress tests till the cows came home and it showed nothing.
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    pwrchrd wrote: »
    Yea the burn is high, and I wear a heartrate monitor. It's a gym that does HIIT workouts, kickboxing, circuit, kettlebells, e.g. P90X style, with trainers that really motivate you!

Since no one seems to have mentioned this yet. To my knowledge heart rate monitors are designed for steady state cardio. If you use them for things like HIIT or kickboxing and such it will give very exaggerated calorie burns.
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Listen to your Doctor and not random people on the interwebs.
  • runnrchic
    runnrchic Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I eat about 60% carbs and my good cholesterol is 71, ratio is 2.3. I do not eat many meats and get most proteins from plants. Try just cutting back on animal products and replace them with plant proteins.
  • Robertus
    Robertus Posts: 558 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Dietary cholesterol has been pretty high, but I read that consuming cholesterol isn't as bad as once thought. Most likely from the up tick in egg consumption for the morning protein.

6na1eij5p5hl.png
    Too high. Dietary cholesterol definitely has beneficial effects, but too much is still too much. Some people started saying that the consumption of dietary cholesterol did not really affect cholesterol levels in the body based on a meta-analysis of studies that combined data and may have confounded various factors from different studies without proper controls to support such a conclusion. See this doctor's blog, who says dietary cholesterol is indeed as bad as ever:

http://www.pcrm.org/nbBlog/index.php/page/2/http://www.pcrm.org/nbBlog/index.php/page/2/
  • Robertus
    Options
    Saturated fat numbers;

u371tj6ogo3p.png
    Again, too high.

• allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    FWIW, after that avocado study came out in January, I ate an avocado every single day for 8 weeks. Knocked 58 points off my total cholesterol, with no change in HDL. That's a much bigger change than the study saw, so YMMV. Previous rounds of low fat and low carb gave me no significant change in cholesterol, nor did overall weight loss.

I don't particularly care for avocado, but it has no apparent side effects!

ETA: I had been running 40/30/30 fat/protein/carb, but with the avocado, I find it hard to keep my fat under 45%. 25% carbs for me is 110-120g, so not particularly low carb.
  • Robertus
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    ... We know that dietary cholesterol doesn't have a big impact on HDL and LDL ...
    Do we really know that? I've heard people say that, but I've also heard doctors say dietary cholesterol is indeed very important, at least for those who have less of a genetic predisposition. See the link I posted above for one physician who strongly disputes those who claim dietary cholesterol does not affect blood cholesterol: http://www.pcrm.org/nbBlog/index.php/page/2/http://www.pcrm.org/nbBlog/index.php/page/2/

I am no expert about this stuff, by the way, but all of the conflicting misinformation about nutrition makes me wary of anything I read on the Internet, including the link I posted above.
  • Robertus
    Options
    Great. Please report back what you learn!
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    OP, are those fasting numbers?

How long have you been eating this way?
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    I had this man's book on my shelf many years before I recently read it. He has a chapter on how dehydration is the cause of high cholesterol. Simply rehydrating the body (especially drinking 2C of water about 20min before a meal to hydrate digestive organs prevents the body from building up cholesterol on the arteries. To reverse cholesterol build up, add in walking 1hr 2X per day (or equivalent exercise) to keep a 24/7 metabolic burn. Here's the link if you want to check it out:
    The book is called The Body's Many Cries for Water, and was very interesting/helpful to me!
    http://watercure.com/

That guy also claims that dehydration contributes to cancer and AIDS. He has no peer-reviewed research. I would proceed with extreme caution.

I would proceed with absolute ridicule.

That guy's a nutter, for sure.

• badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Pu_239 wrote: »
    The most accurate measure of risk for heart disease is your triglycerides to HDL ratio.

Ideally it should be kept below 2. If it's around 3.5 is at risk, 7.3 is very high risk.

SO lets do some math

At the start your triglycerdes are 214, and HDL is 48.

214/48 = 4.75 This is pretty bad.

After
    132/43 = 3.07

A lot better, you're doing good, so don't stress it. Keep doing what you're doing.

Oh so you're a doctor now. Cool.
  • hhnkhl
    hhnkhl Posts: 231 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    You are eating the wrong proteins...maybe stop the fried eggs, pork, etc. and go for the low fat high protein?
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Check here: http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/GettingHealthy/NutritionCenter/Nutrition-Center_UCM_001188_SubHomePage.jsp
    If you take some time to read, it is their job to know how to protect your health, and they have very detailed answers to lot of questions and detailed quidelines. In brief, they are not pro high protein or high fat diets.
    I know there will be a ton of posters disagreeing, but if I had health concerns of the type "am I eating my way to death", I would trust the American Heart Association over any stranger on the internet or real life.
  • mokaiba
    mokaiba Posts: 141 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Dietary cholesterol has been pretty high, but I read that consuming cholesterol isn't as bad as once thought. Most likely from the up tick in egg consumption for the morning protein.

6na1eij5p5hl.png

When your blood cholesterol is high, you should reduce your dietary cholesterol to help you (mainly to prevent other issues) if youre a hyper-responder.

Also, try to eat less than 500mg dietary cholesterol if your blood cholesterol is normal (i know food places say 250mg but they forget that merely 500g of chicken breast has 426mg dietary cholesterol). When you eat 500mg or less dietary cholesterol a day you should lift weights (if your body has no use to for it then dont eat that much dietary cholesterol). It will cause conversions to happen instead of leaving it just as cholesterol. you can look it up for more info.

things to google:

cholesterol conversion to testosterone
    conversion of cholesterol to vitamin d3
    et cetera.

on the topic of your levels: http://chriskresser.com/the-diet-heart-myth-cholesterol-and-saturated-fat-are-not-the-enemy http://chriskresser.com/heart-disease
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    The triglyceride numbers show real improvement. Keep at it, two measures only confirm the issue, not the trend.

Keep losing the weight - likeliest element to improve blood markers. You can also play around with diet styles, if that is your thing, I personally wouldn't for the time being.

Don't be depressed, stick with what you are doing, give your modified lifestyle time to achieve results. It isn't going to take place overnight.
  • Burt_Huttz
    Burt_Huttz Posts: 1,612 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Pu_239 wrote: »
    The most accurate measure of risk for heart disease is your triglycerides to HDL ratio.

Ideally it should be kept below 2. If it's around 3.5 is at risk, 7.3 is very high risk.

SO lets do some math

At the start your triglycerdes are 214, and HDL is 48.

214/48 = 4.75 This is pretty bad.

After
    132/43 = 3.07

A lot better, you're doing good, so don't stress it. Keep doing what you're doing.

Oh so you're a doctor now. Cool.

It would take a doctor to know that? Only a doctor?

No. It takes someone better than a doctor.