Protein shakes as a meal replacement?

Options
does anyone here use protein shakes as a meal replacement? And I don't mean the cheap ones like slim fast which are full of sugar.

I use PhD whey diet protein shake as a meal replacement for breakfasting and dinner... Was wondering if anyone else has tried this?

It's my 2nd day on them x

Replies

• Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    For the long term, I think people are better off eating proper foods. That said should your regular logging over say a month shows that you are down on the protein MFP recommends then it could be the time to think of adding a supplement if you are unable to address the shortfall in you diet.

Alternatively and probably best is to try to obtain the best dietary advice you can for your self from a registered dietitian the last thing you want to do is mess up your body in any way. Make sure your determination is well placed, please.

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are a protein supplement not a meal replacement.
  • blueboxgeek
    blueboxgeek Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    How many calories are in them? I would imagine that replacing whole meals with a shake would drastically reduce calories.
  • derkin2005
    derkin2005 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I used to, now I use them along with a bar or fruit for breakfast. I consume too many quest bars for my own good.
  • Pelamblue
    Pelamblue Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    make sure that they are a all in one shake, ie 50g ish of carbs, otherwise you may start to feel hungry and be tempted to snack on rubbish
  • mskinner1091
    mskinner1091 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I drink a protein shake for my breakfast. I add milk, banana, & a tablespoon of peanut butter. The calories in my drink add up to 350. It's delicious, good source of protein, & plenty of calories.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Relying on meal replacements as part of your strategy to lose weight will probably not serve you well long term assuming its not something you plan to do forever. You are better off learning to eat appropriately for your body and developing habits you can carry with you for the rest of your life.

If its a once in a while "I don't have time to fix food because I have a billion things to do" then it can be useful in that moment, I think we have all be there once or twice.
  • SimplyDetermind87
    Options
    Thanks for advice guys! Think it might actually turn out that I have an allergy to something in the one that I use! Come up with a blochy rash and it's the only thing different I can think off!

Well back to the drawing board!!!

So what do you guys and gals have for breakfast?

• imicklea
    imicklea Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I like homemade smoothies for breakfast. I'm not a big morning person and the ability to put it in a cup and run out the door. I also like it because I get 2 servings of veggies and 2 servings fruit in it and I add in a protein powder to help me meet my daily goals for that
  • crosbylee
    crosbylee Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    Multigrain toast (1), mashed avocado, overeasy egg(1) and Cholula sauce. Sometimes I will add one strip of regular or turkey bacon. Very yummy if you like it spicy!
  • baileyh_
    baileyh_ Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I use Shakeology, though not specifically for breakfast. -prepares for stones to be thrown-
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I love to eat, and I eat the most wonderful food, and because I am tiny and sendentary I have no calories to spare - so the whole idea of replacing meals is to me completely absurd. Sometimes I will have soup or smoothie for a meal or as part of a meal, but it will still be a meal.

Breakfast for me is usually one piece of crispbread with meat or fish spread, a piece of fruit, a portion of raw vegetable, and a small glass of whole milk.
  • derkin2005
    derkin2005 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    yikes to the rash, I usually have 2 cups of fage yogurt with a banana. 260 calories for the yogurt and 46g of protein
  • SimplyDetermind87
    Options
    imicklea wrote: »
    I like homemade smoothies for breakfast. I'm not a big morning person and the ability to put it in a cup and run out the door. I also like it because I get 2 servings of veggies and 2 servings fruit in it and I add in a protein powder to help me meet my daily goals for that

What sort do you put in the smoothies? Sorry I'm completely new to this x
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I only use it as an actual meal replacement if I add more stuff to it like yogurt and/or pb and fruit - usually half a banana. It's not something I do often though because I like to actually eat.

eta: I almost always have eggs for breakfast. Most days I also have a nice serving of a leaner protein (i get plenty of fats from the eggs and oil). I also have a serving of carbs (usually corn tortillas, small white or sweet potato, or sprouted fiber bread) and veggies like mushrooms and peppers. I do better with a bigger breakfast that is very well rounded with a big protein punch.

I just burned my roasted asparagus LOL...I was so full from my eggs and steak this morning that I forgot I had it in the oven...good thing it's cheap this time of year :\
  • gbel1975
    gbel1975 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    What sort do you put in the smoothies? Sorry I'm completely new to this x

I make a lot of smoothies/shakes/whatever you want to call them. I got a Nutri Bullet for Christmas and it's great.

This morning I had 6 ounces of frozen mango, 1/2 avocado, and a scoop of protein powder. I'm really lacking in protein in my diet and I find adding a scoop of powder gets me some protein and adds some creamy texture to the smoothie. I wouldn't consider doing this a meal replacement. Just a supplement.

Other "recipes:"

- Berries (your choice), banana, protein powder
    - Carrots, apples, touch of honey
    - Yogurt (I prefer Greek), berries or pretty much any other fruit
    - A frozen banana and chocolate protein powder with some ice tastes exactly like a Wendy's Frosty
    - Coffee ice cubes and chocolate protein powder is like a frozen mocha from Starbucks

I will randomly add avocado, chia seeds, and/or kale to smoothies. Doesn't really add any flavor, but give them some texture and fiber.

PB2 is also a great addition without all the calories of normal peanut butter.

Ultimately it's up to you and your taste. I'm not a fan of tomatoes, so I've never tried anything along the lines of a V8 or other purely veggie smoothie. I do find that with the fruits you have to watch the sugars in your nutrition/macros, but depending on your needs it may not be a big issue.
  • cmr3399
    cmr3399 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I do....I use Isagenix...but I am sure I will be slammed for it...suits my needs for right now since breakfast and lunch at work are usually hard for me.
  • betsysjl
    betsysjl Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I'm using NutriMed through a weight management doctor and dietician. I have to meet with them every two weeks, get blood work down regularly, and record everything. It is a low-carb, high protein diet that includes shakes, pudding, protein bars, etc. Right now, I prepare one regular meal a day (protein & veggies only). I will gradually change to preparing all my meals, and go off the shakes. It has been a good start for me, it has reduced my cholesterol, and I am losing weight on it. But you can only stay on the program up to 6 months, so it is a short term "kick-start", not a long-term plan for me.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Thanks for advice guys! Think it might actually turn out that I have an allergy to something in the one that I use! Come up with a blochy rash and it's the only thing different I can think off!

Well back to the drawing board!!!

So what do you guys and gals have for breakfast?

Greek yogurt; add raspberries, FiberOne (original) and sliced almonds. Protein, fat & fiber.

If you're not a morning person set this up at night. I "pack" my breakfast at the same time I pack my lunch. Wet ingredients in a covered bowl (pop it in the fridge). Dry ingredients in a zip-lock baggie. In the a.m. dump 'em together and I'm out the door.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I don't think I could use it personally as a complete meal replacement. I generally divide my work day though into breakfast, lunch snack 1 (bowl of Fiber One cereal today), workout, lunch snack 2 (protein shake), dinner, dessert.