Damn fruits have soo much sugar in them! Trying to lose weight by cutting carbs?

Options
2»

Replies

• Ohwhynot
    Ohwhynot Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    No one EVER got fat because they indulged in too much fruit.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Good thing then I'm not diabetic or otherwise insulin resistant and could realistically eat as many carbs as I want within my caloric goals and still lose... in my lunch box today is a banana and some grapes.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Ohwhynot wrote: »

Really....?

Vegetables I could maybe believe.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    so fruit defies the laws of physics now???

OP if you are low car, in a deficit, AND eat fruit you will lose weight...

• ndj1979
    Options
    Not all sugars are created equal, and fruit contains plenty of fiber to help it digest more slowly. Just stay away from juice, which rids it of that fiber while concentrating the sugar.

no
  • AmandaHugginkiss
    AmandaHugginkiss Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    20 grams? That's crazy talk.

It's just a carb. Why do people like to overcomplicate things? Give yourself some macronutrient and micronutrient goals, but why go insane with cutting out entire food groups? Fruits are some of the best sources of micronutrients A and C.

To lose weight, eat less and move more. It is calories in versus calories out.
  • ndj1979
    Options

It's just a carb. Why do people like to overcomplicate things? Give yourself some macronutrient and micronutrient goals, but why go insane with cutting out entire food groups? Fruits are some of the best sources of micronutrients A and C.

stop using logic!
  • dlyeates
    dlyeates Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Good information. Weight loss is such a personal struggle and a one-size-fits-all plan doesn't work for everyone. People need to find what works for them and go with it.

Unfortunately I'm one of those that "calories in, calories out" wasn't working for. The only time I saw weight loss was when I did "calories in, calories out" AND exercised. Due to 2 severe accidents I've had to medically stop working out for a long time and am just starting back very slowly. Diet alone wasn't cutting it.

The eating plan I've chosen for myself now is sustainable, hitting all of the food groups, watching my macros and I'm finally losing weight after more than a year of constant gaining and plateaus.

It's a shame that someone puts information out there that may be helpful to people who have chosen an eating plan for themselves, may be diabetic or have another medical condition that requires watching carbs, or just wanted to put the info out there and everyone jumps on them like it's the worst thing ever. Calories in, calories out doesn't work for everyone and people have documented medical issues. If this is what they choose and can do it in a healthy way why not let them share what they have learned without telling them how wrong they are?!?!?
  • emily9423
    emily9423 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Just be sure to eat the whole fruit; skin and all! It slows down the digestion process making the sugar you consume in fruit last longer for much needed energy. I used to worry about fruit sugar too but I've come to realize it's not a huge issue. I usually double the recommended amount of sugar just from eating fruit and I still consistently lose around 1.5 pounds a week (I'm only about ten pounds from my GW) Not to mention I have tons of energy to fuel my day!
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Hollywood_Porky Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Not all sugars are created equal, and fruit contains plenty of fiber to help it digest more slowly. Just stay away from juice, which rids it of that fiber while concentrating the sugar.

no

Actually that is true. Fiber is absolutely essential in slowing down the digestion of food. This is the reason fruit won't spike blood sugar levels versus having sugar without the fiber.

Same goes for white rice - if you eat white rice on its own with no fiber or protein - the digestion of that rice will be very quick indeed. If you eat white rice with a fiberous fruit and some protein, you will control your blood sugar more.

http://authoritynutrition.com/fruit-and-low-carb/

http://authoritynutrition.com/is-fruit-good-or-bad-for-your-health/

"Fruits are loaded with fiber, water and have significant chewing resistance."

Eating a candy bar versus eating an apple - there's a big difference on how quickly the body digests either food.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options

BUT CARBS ARE WHAT MAKE YOU FAT I SAW IT ON THE COVER OF WOMEN'S WORLD AT THE SUPERMARKET.

:o
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Ohwhynot wrote: »

As someone who has have 500-600 calories of fruit in a day, I disagree. If not accounted for, those calories will end your deficit as much as any other.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    dlyeates wrote: »
    Good information. Weight loss is such a personal struggle and a one-size-fits-all plan doesn't work for everyone. People need to find what works for them and go with it.

Unfortunately I'm one of those that "calories in, calories out" wasn't working for. The only time I saw weight loss was when I did "calories in, calories out" AND exercised. Due to 2 severe accidents I've had to medically stop working out for a long time and am just starting back very slowly. Diet alone wasn't cutting it.

The eating plan I've chosen for myself now is sustainable, hitting all of the food groups, watching my macros and I'm finally losing weight after more than a year of constant gaining and plateaus.

It's a shame that someone puts information out there that may be helpful to people who have chosen an eating plan for themselves, may be diabetic or have another medical condition that requires watching carbs, or just wanted to put the info out there and everyone jumps on them like it's the worst thing ever. Calories in, calories out doesn't work for everyone and people have documented medical issues. If this is what they choose and can do it in a healthy way why not let them share what they have learned without telling them how wrong they are?!?!?

The thing people are jumping on is where the OP states that you lose more weight faster when you cut carbs. She is also throwing around arbitrary numbers like 20g of carbs a day. Based on what? Making blanket statements about fruit somehow hindering weight loss will always be called out on these forums because, well, it's typically always incorrect.

As for your post, if CICO wasn't working for you, it's because you were underestimating the CI or overestimating the CO. CICO is an equation, not a diet. As long as you create a negative energy balance, you will lose weight. Even with medical issues that alter the CO portion of the equation, if you monitor and adjust your intake based on your personal needs, it will work. It just takes more time and effort.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    bluefish49 wrote: »
    When I cut the daily banana, I saw a definite and sustained increase in the slope of weekly weight loss on the graph.

Did you replace it with another snack/meal? If not, you just decreased your calories...or potentially replaced it with something lower cal or that left you feeling full longer, thus reducing your over all calories.

I doubt it was the actual banana.
  • glfernandes828
    glfernandes828 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    emily9423 wrote: »
    Just be sure to eat the whole fruit; skin and all! It slows down the digestion process making the sugar you consume in fruit last longer for much needed energy. I used to worry about fruit sugar too but I've come to realize it's not a huge issue. I usually double the recommended amount of sugar just from eating fruit and I still consistently lose around 1.5 pounds a week (I'm only about ten pounds from my GW) Not to mention I have tons of energy to fuel my day!

Awesome! Thank you, this was the most helpful info on here haha. I know it's different for everyone's bodies so I'm definitely gonna keep an eye on how my changes affect my body.

Congrats on being so close to your goal weight!! Good luck :)