Dinner Party Help!

Options
Hi there everyone!

So today I am facing a dilemma that I'm sure we all touch upon from time to time - dinner at a friends house.

Unlike dinner with friends where I am cooking, or going out for dinner where I ordering off the menu, in this situation; I have no control of what is being made! Plus, it doesn't help that these friends always make really rich (delicious!) meals as the one of the partners is French (butter, butter, and more butter...!). To add to that, they tend to serve dinner really late so I end up gorging on appetizers too!

I've decided to drive so that I don't drink much alcohol as they are too good at hosting and will constantly refill your glass, and I'm also thinking about a light snack - nuts/veg or something before I go to stop me shovelling in the crudetee, chips and dip! What I'm more stuck with is how to log/track/resist the main event - any tips would be extremely useful; either for specifically this event, or eating at a friends' house in general!

Thanks in advance for the help!

Katie xxx

Replies

• DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    For logging it, just find something that looks similar in the database and go with that. I say have fun at your friend's house, one meal won't ruin your diet, and it's important to have a break occasionally.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    First world problems. One day doesn't affect long-term results much. If you eat too much today, simply eat fewer calories for your next few meals. Or increase your activity level. Problem solved.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Just estimate. I look for something similar in the database and log that by eyeballing it.

For these once in a while things, just do your best and move on.

ETA: When I am going to go out to eat or to a friends house where I can't control the menu, I usually do eat a little lighter the rest of the day to compensate. If I can save 900 calories for dinner, I'm going to feel better about estimating than if I only save 500 calories. I can fit dessert into that 900 too!
  • juleszephyr
    juleszephyr Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Have a veg snack or low cal veg soup before you go to limit the canapés. Make the best choices you can during the meal and limit your portions. But generally as the above posters have said, one meal won't affect your long term goals. Log it and do some extra exercise on the day and the day after to give yourself some wiggle room... Enjoy!!
  • jamie_reynolds
    jamie_reynolds Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    definitely eat a healthy, substantial snack prior to arrival. sip alcoholic beverages slowly so they last longer and you drink less. drink water in between beverages. enjoy a portion-controlled dinner and then log it to the best of your ability. then, eat less and exercise a little longer the following day . i wouldn't worry too much. have fun!
  • WeddedBliss1992
    WeddedBliss1992 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    i recently went to a wedding and didn't log anything at all for the entire day. as long as it doesn't happen frequently, i say it's more important to have fun with friends and just eat casually with everyone else. if you don't do it every day, every week, etc. one day out of life isn't going to hurt to not log.
  • dblaacker
    dblaacker Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Ah, just work out a little harder and call it a cheat day in terms of eating. It may be good to switch up cheat days occasionally. Don't let your concerns with healthy eating ruin your chances of having a good time.
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Yeah, going to have to say I agree with...enjoy the evening and time with friends. Its an enjoyable experience...one night is not going to destroy your diet, so dont let your diet destroy one night.

Have fun, log as best as you can, and just get back on track and continue tomorrow.
  • tinascar2015
    tinascar2015 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Being the designated driver is a great strategy, and having a filling snack (nuts -- good plan, veggies, not filling at all!) is also very smart. Then you can have a moderate amount of the things that tempt you the most and pat yourself on the back that you did the best you could under the circumstances.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    dblaacker wrote: »
    Ah, just work out a little harder and call it a cheat day in terms of eating. It may be good to switch up cheat days occasionally. Don't let your concerns with healthy eating ruin your chances of having a good time.

This! It's one night. Eat, drink, and be merry!
  • kandell
    kandell Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Try drinking water with everything you eat while you're there, that way you'll feel a bit more full. Don't worry about one night, it won't ruin your progress ^^
  • JohnBarth
    JohnBarth Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I always engage with the chef in conversation and butter them up a bit and ask how they prepared the deliciousness (in a feigned attempt to steal their secrets). I try to use this approach to gain insight into how I might prepare a similar dish in a healthier fashion. Often, it can lead to a discussion about YOUR success, and your host may make more of an effort in the future to make the meal healthier for everyone.
  • kllaurence93
    kllaurence93 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all these replies guys! Looking forward to the evening and went to the gym for that little bit longer today to compensate :)
  • purplemystra
    purplemystra Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    In the past I'm just added the rest of my calories for the day using the quick add calories and explained what happened in the food notes section.