Pet Peeves @ Gym l v

Options

Replies

• slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    I'm in the gym at 5 AM and often again after work around 5 PM. I have noticed virtually nobody in the morning sits on a piece of equipment using their cell phone for 5 minutes "resting" or "logging their workout". It's pretty common in the late afternoon. Funny thing if you asked the casual observer they would say the morning group was in better shape overall.

Just my observation.

hmmm most people at my gym I see in the am are obese beginners...I guess that means that all early am people are obese beginners....< see what I did there...

People that exercise in between these two extremities(i.e The afternoon) are neither skinny or fat in my gym. They would probably be considered skinnyfat. ;)

• urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    I'm in the gym at 5 AM and often again after work around 5 PM. I have noticed virtually nobody in the morning sits on a piece of equipment using their cell phone for 5 minutes "resting" or "logging their workout". It's pretty common in the late afternoon. Funny thing if you asked the casual observer they would say the morning group was in better shape overall.

Just my observation.

hmmm most people at my gym I see in the am are obese beginners...I guess that means that all early am people are obese beginners....< see what I did there...

Generally the newbies DO NOT come to the gyms at 5am.

• urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    urloved33 wrote: »

Just my observation.

but if they do...i think the same applies. NO ONE gets up at 5am to kill time in a gym...on the phone, walking away from equip/ ..people who behave that way would stay home in bed dude. no one gets up at five am to kill time in the gym

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    A gym is a business and the owners/managers want their business to thrive. Most gyms have a system for giving them suggestions and complaints...generally you can get the paperwork at the front desk and even online. You don't have to leave your name if you do not want to. This action alerts the management team about what to work on. If the problem is widespread they will create a policy or procedure to correct if - if the problem is a member that keeps throwing people off equipment that they started to use because it was empty but the member was actually away from the equipment (for whatever reason) ...they will take care of that too. You can't 'save" gym equipment - you are either using it or you are not. There are some gyms that have a sign up system for equipment and those systems are enforced. Regardless feedback your gym to create an environment, policies and procedures that are good for everyone not just a few. I have never used the complaint systems...I just go straight to the GM...best person to know in our gyms is the GM so they get the information on how to manage the gym directly so the gym is not "staff" managed.

But what if the majority of complaints are about people having their equipment taken away while they are still using it? What would management do there?

I think the issue you here the idea of what "saving" is. I don't consider someone who has gone to the washroom "saving" a piece of equipment. I also don't consider someone who is moving between two exercises/pieces of equipment "saving" so long as we aren't talking numerous pieces of equipment for a long period of time. I consider those items "in use". Just like if the person were resting right beside it. If I really need the equipment I'll ask to work in.
  • samhennings
    samhennings Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Ive recently taken up stronglifts (literally last week!) and even at the minimal weight it recommends a 90 second break between sets. As the weight gets serious this could become several minutes at a time.

It is simply part of the process. Ill be waiting as long as is necessary in order to perform the workout as well as I can. I certainly wont be trying to rush. During those x minutes recovery, what would you have me do?
  • amitkatz0
    amitkatz0 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I try not to be too judgemental at the gym, but the dudes who grunt like chimps going to war and drop their weight as hard as possible on the floor do get under my skin.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

Just my observation.

but if they do...i think the same applies. NO ONE gets up at 5am to kill time in a gym...on the phone, walking away from equip/ ..people who behave that way would stay home in bed dude. no one gets up at five am to kill time in the gym

and you know this how?

Have you done in depth study of every gym in the world?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Ive recently taken up stronglifts (literally last week!) and even at the minimal weight it recommends a 90 second break between sets. As the weight gets serious this could become several minutes at a time.

It is simply part of the process. Ill be waiting as long as is necessary in order to perform the workout as well as I can. I certainly wont be trying to rush. During those x minutes recovery, what would you have me do?

apparently, you should sit there and stare at the floor, not make eye contact with anyone, and don't even think about using the bathroom or your phone...
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Just my observation.

I notice that a lot of people in these threads who defend using a phone to "log a workout" or admit to taking long rest periods tend be very knowledgable and in shape.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

Just my observation.

What an odd set of assumptions to make. I'm a gym n00b and I'm there in the morning with all sorts of people with a broad range of fitness levels because it's a pretty convenient time of day for quite a lot of people. End of.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

Just my observation.

Try again.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

Just my observation.

Someone who has to pee isn't "killing time". Someone taking a rest period between sets (which heaven knows, is what you're supposed to do, I don't play on my phone, but I sort of bop my head along to my music)... is not "killing time". I also see groups of friends chatting during rest time when they're all working in with each other. I'm sure to the casual observer like you, they'd be "killing time".

This is all in the early morning.

• ndj1979
    Options

Just my observation.

I notice that a lot of people in these threads who defend using a phone to "log a workout" or admit to taking long rest periods tend be very knowledgable and in shape.

I lift pretty heavy and my rest time between sets is about 2.5 to three minutes..so yes, I use my phoe to track time between workouts and yes I play with my phone to kill time..

signed

"out of shape beginner who works out in late afternoon"
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    EWJLang wrote: »

Just my observation.

Sorry but that's just an assumption and there are plenty of people that are in great shape that train in the evening.

It's good to see Leo again, but we may need to flag that photo. Little dude is looking pretty come-hither in this one. Cheeky pup.

Yeah he's a weirdo. His was in the middle of falling asleep in that picture.

IU9W0Oq.jpg?1

Q3CdgaU.jpg?1

Not weird sleeping positions at all. I've had cats.

• HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »

Just my observation.

Sorry but that's just an assumption and there are plenty of people that are in great shape that train in the evening.

It's good to see Leo again, but we may need to flag that photo. Little dude is looking pretty come-hither in this one. Cheeky pup.

Yeah he's a weirdo. His was in the middle of falling asleep in that picture.

IU9W0Oq.jpg?1

Q3CdgaU.jpg?1

He and Charlotte should have a "Sleeping Beauty" contest.

et9elvx3jpul.jpg
  • kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I do cringe a little at holding onto the treadmill handles, I can't help it. I know they are doing themselves a big disservice that way. But it happens in a half a second and I move on, I have my own goals in mind at the time. One thing that really gets me is people wearing heavy cologne/perfume. I have asthma so it really irritates my lungs. I'm trying to breathe over here!!! But that's one reason why I prefer to do cardio outside of the gym.