Pet Peeves @ Gym l v

Options
MizzMaamI1
MizzMaamI1 Posts: 73 Member
edited March 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Anybody else cringe when people hold the treadmill while walking/jogging and or on incline?

Replies

• stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    No but that's because I worry about myself and my workout, not a complete strangers. I can also assume there may be a reason they hold on, a reason that's .............none of my business.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    No interest at all in what other people do.
  • lngrunert
    lngrunert Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    As long as someone isn't doing something that negatively affects my own workout (i.e., not wiping down benches, hogging a bench or machine while texting for long periods of time, not re-racking their weights, etc.), I don't care what other people do at the gym. I'm there for my own workout, not to judge other people's.

When I first started walking on the treadmill a couple of years ago, I was in the midst of a series of unexplained dizzy spells that were quite dangerous when I would experience one on the treadmill. You bet your sweet booty I was holding on to the rails, and is saved me from being pitched off the treadmill more than once. Now that my problem has been fixed, I run on the treadmill easily without holding on. My point is this - you never know what a stranger's medical or physical history is, so it's pretty condescending IMO to be judging them and their efforts at the gym.
  • MizzMaamI1
    Options
    Fair enough. I'm not judging just saying it makes me cringe, like fingernails on a chalk board.
  • krysmuree
    krysmuree Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    MizzMaamI1 wrote: »
    Fair enough. I'm not judging just saying it makes me cringe, like fingernails on a chalk board.

It makes you cringe because you're passing judgment on an action done by a person.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    If they keep out of my way don't care.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    I have so many gym pet peeves.

Along the lines of what you mention, people who don't properly adjust the stationary bikes are painful to watch. No, I don't CARE about other people's workouts, but when they are parked right in front of you it is hard not to see.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Nope, because it's not my business what other people choose to do. They are in charge of their health, not me.

The only time i get mad is when people "hold" equipment that others are waiting to use and they aren't actually using it.
    I.E. they set their bag on the machine and walked away, they aren't performing any exercise and are chatting, they are texting/surfing the web on their phone. In these scenarios i just kindly ask them if i can jump in really quick.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Curling in the squat rack...not wiping down equipment...doing anything on the Oly platform other than Oly lifting. Mostly gym etiquette stuff...beyond good gym etiquette, I don't really care what people do.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    I hold on to the elliptical stationary handles instead of the moving handles. I had a severe frozen shoulder in the past that limits motion in that joint and causes pain. I'd hate to think someone would judge me for that. It can also be an issue walking, if I am swinging my arms.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I just came back from the gym where I experienced my only pet peeve.

The dreaded cloud of cloying body spray.

I'd rather smell body odor, frankly.

Well, it annoys me when people leave dumbbells laying on the floor instead of putting them back too. This applies to plates left laying around in other areas as well. I go to an LA Fitness, and the cardio area is upstairs. Someone carried some plates upstairs and left them there???? What? But those are only minor annoyances. It's the body spray that really bugs.
  • stephenrhinton
    stephenrhinton Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    My pet peeve is people being inconsiderate in the use of swimming lanes. If your water aerobics class ended 15 minutes ago you should not still be standing in the water chatting with your friends ....lap lanes are not a good place to socialize at any time ...when a lane opens up look around to see if anyone else was waiting ...if you're going to share a lane, ask first ...if you're going to share a lane pick a side and stay on it ...
  • krysmuree
    krysmuree Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I hold on to the elliptical stationary handles instead of the moving handles. I had a severe frozen shoulder in the past that limits motion in that joint and causes pain. I'd hate to think someone would judge me for that. It can also be an issue walking, if I am swinging my arms.

If anyone judges you for that, it's their problem, not yours. <3 You do what's good for you! :)
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    Nope, because it's not my business what other people choose to do. They are in charge of their health, not me.

The only time i get mad is when people "hold" equipment that others are waiting to use and they aren't actually using it.
    I.E. they set their bag on the machine and walked away, they aren't performing any exercise and are chatting, they are texting/surfing the web on their phone. In these scenarios i just kindly ask them if i can jump in really quick.

That drives me nuts, too!
  • SyzygyX
    SyzygyX Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    People.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    People who spend time worrying about what others are doing.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

Some people on their phones are resting between sets on weight machines. It's okay to ask to work in, though. They might or might not let you depending on how long their rest period is.

I agree that holding a treadmill is rude.

Editing to clarify that I mean saving a treadmill by putting stuff on it, not holding onto it. I don't care if you hold onto it.

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Not putting things back, but also sitting on equipment for extended periods of time just using their mobile phones. Im talking 10 minutes+ and doing nothing.

Oh and for the OP people holding tread mill rails, ansolutely no concern at all from me as its their time and exercise. I do think its going to be less effective, but hey ho.
  • tinascar2015
    tinascar2015 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    MizzMaamI1 wrote: »

That's judging.
  • MizzMaamI1
    edited March 2015
    Options
    SyzygyX wrote: »
    People.

Truth