Pet Peeves @ Gym l v

Options

Replies

• lngrunert
    lngrunert Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Wow , some people should just read the post and move along. OP was just asking a simple question, you have no answer that pertains, move along. We all judge, observe, criticize and just plain have thoughts of others that may not be the most positive so don't pretend you don't.

At the gym I am way too focused on myself and my goals to even notice what other people are doing. The only time I ever watch other people is when I want to use something that they're using, like the squat rack, and I'm just keeping an eye out as to when they're done.

Okay, there was that one time when a guy failed with a heavily loaded bar while doing bench presses, but that's because he made this terrible man-scream and like four other guys came running yelling YOU OKAY BRO I GOT YOU BRO and helped him out. It was kind of hard not to notice.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    slideaway1 wrote: »
    Is it frowned upon to knock one out after I hit a PR as long as I don't do it in the squat rack?

by knock one out.... you mean....? :o
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Is it frowned upon to knock one out after I hit a PR as long as I don't do it in the squat rack?
    Not frowned upon. Highly encouraged B)
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

by knock one out.... you mean....? :o

Exactly! You know how it goes when the moment takes you. PR's are an exciting thing. As everyone else has said, If it does not affect them and they are concentrating on their own things.

• slideaway1
    Options
    I make it a rule to towel down the equipment. B)
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    lngrunert wrote: »
    Wow , some people should just read the post and move along. OP was just asking a simple question, you have no answer that pertains, move along. We all judge, observe, criticize and just plain have thoughts of others that may not be the most positive so don't pretend you don't.

At the gym I am way too focused on myself and my goals to even notice what other people are doing. The only time I ever watch other people is when I want to use something that they're using, like the squat rack, and I'm just keeping an eye out as to when they're done.

Okay, there was that one time when a guy failed with a heavily loaded bar while doing bench presses, but that's because he made this terrible man-scream and like four other guys came running yelling YOU OKAY BRO I GOT YOU BRO and helped him out. It was kind of hard not to notice.

I feel like a bad person because that made me snort with laughter.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I make it a rule to towel down the equipment. B)
    Good, could be a slipping hazard.
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I work at a gym and at the end of my shift, when we're closing up, I put all the weights away. Sometimes it's a real workout. I do farmers walks with the plates and kettle bells. the only thing that really annoys me is when someone leaves a bar up on the squat rack and it's too heavy for me to lift down. I hate having to take weight off before I lift it (or even worse, asking someone else to lift it for me!)

I did have to ask someone to get off the rower the other day as she was sitting on it talking to her friend who was rowing.

The only people that I 'judge' are people who smell. Now, I've had a 'deodorant malfunction' before but I made sure I stayed away from everyone else and kept my arms down! The idea of someone thinking I smell horrifies me. When I walk past people and the smell is unbearable I do think that, in this day and age, where deodorant is both cheap and effective, there really is no need to be smelly.
  • cb2bslim
    cb2bslim Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I don't cringe because everyone is different. They might have health reasons for holding on and that shouldn't hold someone back from exercising to keep in shape. Now what makes me cringe is when they don't wipe their machine when done. That's gross!
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I hold on to the treadmill while on it? I struggle to without doing it, no idea why, I've always done it. If that really bothers you buy a treadmill and work out at home.
  • slideaway1
    Options
    I work at a gym and at the end of my shift, when we're closing up, I put all the weights away. Sometimes it's a real workout. I do farmers walks with the plates and kettle bells. the only thing that really annoys me is when someone leaves a bar up on the squat rack and it's too heavy for me to lift down. I hate having to take weight off before I lift it (or even worse, asking someone else to lift it for me!)

I did have to ask someone to get off the rower the other day as she was sitting on it talking to her friend who was rowing.

What if you want to drift rather than row?

• dorkyfaery
    dorkyfaery Posts: 255 Member
    Options

What you're really saying is, if you don't share the OPs opinion then don't participate. Which is kind of the opposite of what a forum discussion *should* be. If you aren't prepared to hear opinions other than your own on an internet forum, you're doing it wrong.
  • MizzMaamI1
    MizzMaamI1 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I use to hold on too, so I don't know why I bugs me now?

• atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Find a better gym which has more equipment. I prefer the Cardio Room at my local Y because it lets you pause for ten minutes, which gives you time to use the bathroom or check your blood pressure if you have health problems. The Cardio Room also has two treadmills that go up to 75 minutes and 90 minutes respectively. All other treadmills only go up to 60 minutes. But sometimes the Cardio Room is full, so I go to the Family Room or the Fitness Room. There are also a lot of classes that I attend. I don't care if people don't wipe down their equipment; I wipe mine before AND after. More exercise, so to speak! I once belonged to Curves and that place drove me insane. People were talking with each other and not moving to the next machine with nobody monitoring. I used to criss-cross to another machine just to keep it going, but after about a month of this nonsense, I quit. Plus they had lousy hours!
  • Alexmycat
    Alexmycat Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    No, I do not cringe or otherwise judge people because I recognize that everyone has different abilities and challenges. I suffered multiple injuries in an auto accident. It took a dozen surgeries and years of physical therapy to be able to walk again.

Part of that therapy involved walking on a treadmill. I was directed by my physical therapist to hold onto the rails because I did not yet have the balance or coordination to walk independently. I used crutches when I wasn't on treadmill.

If anyone had an issue with that, it wasn't my problem. I paid just as much for my gym membership as they did and, unless I was endangering others, it was not anyone else's business.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    People holding on to the treadmill makes you cringe? Strange….
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    MizzMaamI1 wrote: »
    Anybody else cringe when people hold the treadmill while walking/jogging and or on incline?

Anybody else mind their own business?
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    cb2bslim wrote: »
    I don't cringe because everyone is different. They might have health reasons for holding on and that shouldn't hold someone back from exercising to keep in shape. Now what makes me cringe is when they don't wipe their machine when done. That's gross!

Thanks for pointing this out. I personally have POTS and chronic hypoglycemia which both interfere with working out. I get extremely dizzy when I am exercising because of my medical conditions. Holding on is the only way I am able to finish my workout. But guess what- I'm still there, dizzy, doing what I need to do. If it bothers you that I hold onto the railing (which it is there for), I think you need to find other things to focus on.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    dorkyfaery wrote: »

What you're really saying is, if you don't share the OPs opinion then don't participate. Which is kind of the opposite of what a forum discussion *should* be. If you aren't prepared to hear opinions other than your own on an internet forum, you're doing it wrong.

There are other options if a topic bugs you that much, is all

• lngrunert
    lngrunert Posts: 204 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    yesimpson wrote: »
    lngrunert wrote: »

I feel like a bad person because that made me snort with laughter.

It made me giggle in retrospect later too, especially since the guy didn't get injured or anything. When I was working with my personal trainer, she told me that everyone in the free weights area was really awesome, and if I ever needed a spotter or got in trouble on a lift they would all come running. So it was kind of cool to actually see that happen! And after, the guy who failed said he was embarrassed and wanted to leave, and the other guys (mostly really ripped dudes in their 20's that I see there all the time) were like, "No way man! It's no big deal, we've all been there." and "Come on, deload a little and I'll spot you. You got this." It was really kind of sweet, so I may have gawked a little that time.

Really, when people on here tell you that some of the nicest and most helpful folks in the gym are the big dudes in the free weights area, they're not kidding. I've had a couple of them help me get a bar down from the squat rack when the last person left it way over my head (I'm only 5'2") or raising or lowering a bench with a stuck pin. Even if they do call me "ma'am" when they do it, I still appreciate it. :)